Author Topic: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)  (Read 60667 times)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2011, 06:31:50 pm »
Okay. If you want a subtle pony shirt, this is probably the best I've seen (EQD posted this not long ago).
http://www.fibers.com/shop/design/here-comes-tom.D46355

Put it in this thread cause it seems spoiler-ish.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2011, 10:51:34 pm »
Here comes Tom!

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »
Speaking of Tom...
I find it funny that Rarity was the only one that seemed to actually remember much of anything from her gray time. The rest all seemed to just think it was a dream or not recall anything at all. She recognized the boulder as Tom. I guess it could be because she was the only one who actually had a physical object/reminder left over after the whole ordeal?

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:15 pm »
Speaking of Tom...
I find it funny that Rarity was the only one that seemed to actually remember much of anything from her gray time. The rest all seemed to just think it was a dream or not recall anything at all. She recognized the boulder as Tom. I guess it could be because she was the only one who actually had a physical object/reminder left over after the whole ordeal?
That and its funny. But the others did have recollections of the time.

Quote from: AppleJack
I had a vision of us feudin' and fightin'. I couldn't face the truth, so I started tellin' lies.

Quote from: Pinkie Pie
*laughing* I..I turned GREY!!! *more laughing*
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2011, 06:43:29 am »
That and its funny. But the others did have recollections of the time.

Quote from: AppleJack
I had a vision of us feudin' and fightin'. I couldn't face the truth, so I started tellin' lies.

Quote from: Pinkie Pie
*laughing* I..I turned GREY!!! *more laughing*

Hmm. I had forgotten about those. Haven't actually watched the episode again yet. I'm waiting for a time where I can watch them back-to-back. Which should be sometime tomorrow.

But you're right. That whole scene with Tom was pretty good. It really had me laughing there.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:45 am »
To segue off of Tom, it caused a lot of damage to Twilight Sparkle's home/library when she was dragging it through the doors and walls of the place. I wonder who the Capenter Pony is and if he/she charges by the hour or a flat rate? They do some fantastic work; how often has the library been damaged yet you never see once thing out of place by the next episode. I really need to hire this crew for my own home.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 11:09:36 am »
You ain't memorised them line for line yet? What kinda brony are you?! :D   Just kidding of course.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2011, 10:38:37 am »
The Hub unveiled its new billboard advertizement for FiM today. Check this out:

Pinkamina Diane Pie is looking especially creepy in that pose, wouldn't you say?

Everything (c) Hasbro

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2011, 11:07:31 am »
Thats just Pinkie Pie. Pinkamena Diane Pie is when she's all depressed, long straight hair, psychotic ticks, occasional psycho derp eyes and has a habit of talking to inanimate objects.

PDP is also sometimes fanonly known to get a little homicidal and "cupcakes" on ponies. Even though in the fic she's actually retaining her bubbly, cheerful demeanor.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2011, 11:25:11 am »
Thats just Pinkie Pie. Pinkamena Diane Pie is when she's all depressed, long straight hair, psychotic ticks, occasional psycho derp eyes and has a habit of talking to inanimate objects.

PDP is also sometimes fanonly known to get a little homicidal and "cupcakes" on ponies. Even though in the fic she's actually retaining her bubbly, cheerful demeanor.

Actually, Pinkamena Diane Pie is her full, born name. Pinkie Pie is just a nickname, like how Matthew is sometimes shortened to Matt. It's the fandom that decided to associate her full name with the depressed/psychotic version of her from Party of One.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:52 am »
Pinkamena Diane Pie is her real full name actually. Her friends just call her Pinkie Pie for short. It was used long before the infamous Cupcakes fic.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Pinkie_Pie & http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cupcakes-my-little-pony-fanfiction#.TocwzXLO98E

Quote from: Wikia
Pinkie Pie, full name Pinkamena Diane Pie, is an earth pony from Ponyville and one of the main characters of the series.

Quote from: Meme
In Episode 25, “Party of One”, Pinkie Pie becomes sad because her friends are avoiding her invitations to parties, making up excuses. As she gains the idea that they don’t want to be her friends anymore, she becomes depressed, her hair going straight and her color tone turning a bit grayer. She then throws a party with many inanimated objects, giving them voices, and displays many insanity tics, including a shot where she’s smiling and her eyes slowly become derped.

Bronies immediately began making connections to Pinkie’s insane state of mind with her role in “Cupcakes”, making it an explanation of its events. From this point, new Cupcakes FanArt usually displays Pinkie with her straight hair, or as many decided to call her, Pinkamena Diane Pie, her real name (as revealed in episode 23).

So just repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax. However, I just don't like being corrected by inaccurate information.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
The Hub unveiled its new billboard advertizement for FiM today. Check this out:

Pinkamina Diane Pie is looking especially creepy in that pose, wouldn't you say?

I'm pretty surprised that The Hub would advertise MLP:FiM that way, because with a promotion like that The Hub is blatantly targeting the show's periphery demographic (ie. us-- the Bronies) as opposed to the show's marketed demographic (young girls) as I doubt that very many really young children have seen the 1982 horror film Poltergeist to get the promotion's reference.

All of this makes me pretty darn curious-- just how does the size of this show's Brony viewership compare to the show's targeted viewership?  Are Bronies a minority of the total number of viewers for this cartoon series, or have we usurped the "young girls" demographic to become the majority of the viewers?  Does anyone know if there are any published numbers or Nielsen Media Research statistics out there on this?  If The Hub is actively promoting the show to the Brony crowd like this then we must have become a large enough group of viewers to become attractive to television advertisers and therefore worth promoting the show to.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2011, 03:32:55 pm »

I'm pretty surprised that The Hub would advertise MLP:FiM that way, because with a promotion like that The Hub is blatantly targeting the show's periphery demographic (ie. us-- the Bronies) as opposed to the show's marketed demographic (young girls) as I doubt that very many really young children have seen the 1982 horror film Poltergeist to get the promotion's reference.

All of this makes me pretty darn curious-- just how does the size of this show's Brony viewership compare to the show's targeted viewership?  Are Bronies a minority of the total number of viewers for this cartoon series, or have we usurped the "young girls" demographic to become the majority of the viewers?  Does anyone know if there are any published numbers or Nielsen Media Research statistics out there on this?  If The Hub is actively promoting the show to the Brony crowd like this then we must have become a large enough group of viewers to become attractive to television advertisers and therefore worth promoting the show to.

Not the first brony-targeted billboard (Bridlemaids billboard for example). Sure, only those who have seen the movie will understand the reference, but it's still telling their base demographic about the show, and not going to scare off anybody. It's just like all the references in the show itself that only the older viewers are going to really appreciate.

It's actually very fitting with the show itself to have ads with added meaning for older viewers.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
Yes the Brony movement has usurped the young girls demographic to become one of the main focuses of The HUB aas well as Hasbro, I've heard that Hasbro is in talks about making show accurate G4 pony toys to market to the older crowd as a "Collectors Edition" type of toy set.

Jayson Theissen has even stated that the shout out to Bronies in the "Equestria Girls" song was done without their knowledge and they were surprised to hear about it. The song was also sung by Pinkie Pie's ACTUAL song VA, who they brought in special to do the full version between seasons just for the commercial.

For that network to put so much effort into doing a simple shout out to the fans just floors me. Thats a lot of time and effort and money put into doing something like that.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2011, 05:00:31 am »
I only have one question!
Where...IS...LUNA?!?!

Equestria Daily has just posted some news about when Luna may be appearing in Season 2!  If you haven't seen Equestria Daily's article about it yet, you can read it here:

Equestria Daily:  (Rumor?) Luna Episode Synopsis/Date/Title

After reading the episode's synopsis I am very excited about it and am very much looking forward to it!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:13 pm »
I wonder if they plan to keep releasing new episodes twice a month? That
will make for a sloooooooow season.   :'(

Of course that does increase the value of last years episodes for broadcast.  :D
oldrabbit.com

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:56 am »
I wonder if they plan to keep releasing new episodes twice a month?

I couldn't find a reference for the entire Season 2 yet, but I've found the following release dates so far:

Quote from: The Hub
S02 E01: The Return of Harmony - Part 1, Sept 17, 2011
S02 E02: The Return of Harmony - Part 2, September 24, 2011
S02 E03: Lesson Zero, October 15, 2011
S02 E04: Luna Eclipsed, October 22, 2011
S02 E05: Sisterhooves Social, November 5, 2011
S02 E06: The Cutie Pox, November 12, 2011

Source
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:52:54 am by Liedt »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2011, 10:42:22 am »
So now we've had a sonic rainboom and an atomic rainboom.

Not my favorite episode, but it had it's moments. I liked Big Mac actually playing more of a role than just showing up for 2 seconds. And I was straight up laughing both when RD was tearing apart the barn and when Fluttershy was wrestling the bear. One thing is for sure though: there are a lot of memes that will be coming out of that episode.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:38 am »
All play and no work makes Twilight a dull pony.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2011, 01:32:48 pm »
I have a friend who is a furry, a MLP fan, and a train *fanatic*.  In my mind, I can still hear his squeeing from the slightly changed opening from 50 miles away.

Also, I agree with Ziel.  It seems that the authors were almost trying to start memes, particularly with Rarity's dramatic overreactions.  In many ways, they seemed to reference the fandom in this epidose, such as in Big Mac's appearance, the sonic rainboom, and the cupcakes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:37:09 pm by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »
So, I watched it again. I feel like that episode required the second viewing for me. I picked up quite a few things that I didn't catch the first time. Still laughed at most of the spots I laughed before, but even a few more places hit me this time around.

I guess the first time I was feeling a little too much of the psycho-pony vibe, similar to in Party of One, but Twilight doesn't pull it off quite as well because it's almost too realistic that she would get that way. I don't know if it's just that I was expecting it this time around, or if I just looked past that and paid more attention to the other things that were happening, but I really enjoyed the episode this time around.

I could watch the sonic atomic rainboom and entire sequence with Smartypants over and over and it wouldn't get old.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:05:02 pm by Ziel »

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2011, 03:50:38 am »
I. Love. This. Episode.

There was so much good stuff here I don't even know where to begin!  Rainbow destroying Applejack's barn?!  ATOMIC RAINBOOM!  Fluttershy SNAPPING A BEAR'S NECK?!  I laughed so hard when Big Macintosh made off with Smartypants at the end of the fight.

The only things I didn't like about this episode were the frequency of Rarity's drama queen moments and the intensity of Twilight's crazy-faces.  For Rarity, it was too much in conjunction with how Twilight was acting, plus annoying at how much time it took every time they made the joke.  For Twilight's expressions, it felt like it was taking over the story.  The faces were good, but even Pinkie didn't look that messed-up in Party of One.  Less is more, after a certain point.

Still, I have nothing but high hopes for the longevity of the series if this is the kind of episode they'll be putting out on a regular basis.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2011, 01:20:34 pm »
I think this one became my favorite episode. I kinda agree that Rarity's drama couch verged on being over played, but just the fact that she always keeps it within horn's reach is funny enough to me that the joke isn't likely to get old anytime soon. Atomic Rainboom. Near crazy Fluttershy (I knew she was only doing chiropractic treatments from the get go :P ). Rarity's drama. Spastic Twilight. Big Mcintosh "Eeeeenope!"... I could go on, but I think the writers were having fun and shouting out to the fandom with making this episode. So many good image macro possibilities too.

Oh, and Cellestia! OMG! Anytime I close my eyes, her angry "TWILIGHT SPARKLE!!!" Talk about unexpected. :o
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:33:28 am by Narei Mooncatt »
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2011, 01:23:30 pm »
I have to agree with Ziel's first impressions about this episode-- it was definitely not one of my favorites, but it had its moments.

Probably the primary reason why I didn't enjoy this episode more than I did is because Twilight Sparkle is usually my least favorite member of the Mane 6.  Sometimes Twilight Sparkle can be hilarious, such as when she did the whole "Here comes Tom!" line and her calling her Element of Harmony the ""big crown thingy" in the episode "The Return of Harmony Part 2".  But in this episode I just found her obsessive compulsiveness a little too annoying to me personally.  Flustered that a 13th cupcake could rub frosting on the other 12?  Really?  She'd probably ought to start looking into seeking medical attention if she is letting herself get all bent out of shape over such a non-consequential detail like that.  She was extremely quick to allow herself to go into a mental downward spiral, and too quick to start hatching an overly zany scheme.  I don't mind the fact that Twilight Sparkle got bent out of shape by the fact that she was running the risk of being late with an assignment because that is in-character, but she mentally devolved so completely over it that she did things that I don't think her friends, Princess Celestia, or the townsfolk of Ponyville would be able to forgive her for so easily.  In fact, she allowed herself to become a kind of character that TVTropes would call "The Unfettered," which in a nutshell is:

"This is the character who can commit themselves to a single goal completely, absolutely, and unflinchingly. In pursuit of a goal they have no limits, inhibitions, or fear. Nothing chains them or holds them back (thus the name). You cannot make them flinch or falter. They cannot be intimidated, blackmailed, coerced, or otherwise convinced to back off from achieving their goal. There is no sacrifice they are unwilling to make or principle they are unwilling to compromise."

In other words, Twilight Sparkle, who is supposed to be one of the main heroes of the series, became so single-mindedly obsessed with reaching her goal of finding a conflict to resolve that she abandoned her own moral code and conscience and decided to create a problem to resolve.  She did this by trying to use magic to coerce three innocent children (the Cutie Mark Crusaders) into turning on one another just so that she could then break up the fight.  Targeting small children like that is a pretty horrible thing to do once you think really about it.  And the chaos that Twilight Sparkle's spell eventually caused once it spread through the townsfolk caused more calamity and disruption than many of the show's actual antagonists have been able to achieve!  Secretly creating a problem only to then act like the hero and try to save the day sounds like something "Syndrome," the super-villain from Pixar's The Incredibles would do-- not a hero like Twilight Sparkle!

While this time Twilight's actions didn't seem to do any permanent harm, it should make the rest of the ponies worry that she will be capable of throwing out conscience in order to obsessively achieve a goal again.  It also makes you pause and wonder just how dangerous Twilight Sparkle could actually be if she ever truly turned evil-- if she caused all of this disruption over turning a letter in on time, imagine what a complete monster she could become if her obsessive goals were far more self-serving and insidious!  I am almost surprised that she wasn't arrested by those flying pegasus royal guard stallions and thrown into pony juvenile hall for using her magic for a selfish end like that!  I mean, if a villain did that sort of thing he/ she probably would have been turned to stone and become yet another lawn-ornament in Princess Celestia's garden of vanquished foes!  By making all of the townsfolk turn on one another and having them fight over "Mr. Smartypants," Twilight Sparkle created far more "discord" than "harmony" in this episode, right?  I was waiting for the visibly upset Celestia to really lay down the law on her!

Unfortunately, I think that this episode might be an example of what TVTropes would call handing a character the "Idiot Ball."  Giving a character the "Idiot Ball" means that the story's plot only works because the main character is frankly acting like an idiot.  These kinds of plots can be quickly resolved simply by the main character asking a single intelligent question or performing one rational action, but instead the plot is fueled by the character acting too stupid or obtuse to come up with that reasonable action or question.  For example, the plot for this whole episode could have been resolved quickly at the beginning of the episode if Twilight Sparkle had just written Princess Celestia a letter explaining her situation and asking for a time extension for that week's assignment.  Or Twilight could have directly asked her friends to help her with her assignment.  Instead, Twilight Sparkle makes a whole bunch of crazy assumptions about what punishments will happen to her if her letter to the princess is late, she doesn't directly ask her friends for help, and she ends up causing half the townspeople to tackle each other over an enchanted stuffed animal in a hair-brained attempt to reach her goal herself.

Anyway, enough with my overly thorough analysis of the show's writing, and on to a few things that I liked about the episode:

• As a computer programmer, I like how the first item on Twilight Sparkle's giant checklist was to create the giant checklist.  That makes her checklist recursive!  Thinking that her checklist is recursive is probably something that would only make me laugh, but it did make me laugh none-the-less!
  • It was neat seeing Rainbow Dash sonic (or atomic?) rainboom the barn.  Considering how she can seemingly "hulk out" and kick, punch, and head-ram her way through thick wood beams with no apparent injury, perhaps "Rainbow Smash" might be a more accurate name for her now!
  • Big Mac running off with the stuffed animal in the end was pretty funny.  It's cute to see that the big strong and silent type character has a secret hidden more vulnerable side!
  • I thought it was funny how the sun jerked its way through the sky like a giant clock hand!

There were definitely some chuckles to be had in this episode, and the moral presented at the end was a good one.  I can't even tell you how many times I have personally had a problem that was extremely important to me only to have friends, family members, etc. tell me that I was wasting my time over something that they deemed to be unimportant.  That can be a miserable situation to have to deal with because you're forced to deal with it alone without any kind of support from others, and I am sure that I am not the only person here who has ever themselves in that situation.  I only wish that they first didn't have to make Twilight Sparkle do something questionable and was deemed punishable by Celestia, and then too-easily forgive her afterward so that the series could return to its status quo at the end.  The writers probably could have found a way to achieve their moral message that was less damaging to Twilight's character than what they ended up doing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:29:25 pm by Hoagiebot »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2011, 02:50:33 pm »
That's where you just kinda have to chalk it all up to the pony culture. They don't seem to really hold grudges. They just seem to be a more forgiving bunch overall. If Gilda were to return with an adjusted attitude, they would welcome her back for sure. Same for Trixie. In both cases, it wasn't so much the ponies shunning them, but rather them leaving on their own accord.

Also, Celestia was never going to punish Twilight for what she did. She was just getting to saying tat in her speech to Twi when the other 5 ran in. Her saying that she would 'not punish Twilight' under the condition that they all write letters but only when they learn something, was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Her wording it that way just helped enforce the lesson learned by all.