Author Topic: I did it! Ran my first 5k race.  (Read 584 times)

Offline Drake Blackpaw

• Male
    • http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/
I did it! Ran my first 5k race.
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
(if you just want to see how I did, scroll to the bottom)

One goal I set for myself this year was to run a 5k race.  Before I started training  I had never run at all.  I mean, I failed the run a mile test for physical fitness when I was Junior High.  The idea of running seemed like a foreign concept to me, like you had to be some kind of alien to want to do it.  However, I had a couple of things happen that got me focused on getting more fit.  I started skiing again and my stamina for staying out and skiing wasn't as much as I liked and then during my annual physical my doctor nicely lectured me on how much weight I had gained over the past 5 years.  I then heard a program on the radio talking about a couch to 5k program and it actually sounded like something I could do.  When I found an inexpensive app on my iPhone to take you through the program, I decided it try it.

Many months later, running on a treadmill or an indoor track 3 times a week, I finally got to a point where I felt I could handle a 5k race.  At the Y I saw that there was a local 5k race being held today and took the plunge and registered for it.

The race started at 8:30 this morning, which is early for me on a weekend, but I dragged my self to it.  The asked you to line up by how fast you thought you were going to be and since this was my first race, I put myself in the middle of the group.  I was runner #1075 and I saw someone with a number over 2000, so there was a lot of people taking part in the race.   From the couple of times I tried running on the street before, I expected to run the course somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes.  The course had some up and downhill sections, so I knew it would be more taxing then my regular runs on the treadmill or indoor track. 

Once the race started, I quickly found out that I had started way too far back in the pack for my speed and I steadily passed people on the way.  I was pretty tired by half way though, especially since we had done a long uphill section by then.  However, I kept my pace up and continued passing others as I ran.  At around 2.5 miles I felt like slowing down, but then I saw this old man running in front of me that looked like he was at least 60, maybe 70.  I couldn't be slower than a 70 year old.  I don't care how in shape he is.  So I actually sped up a little and passed him.  The last bit of the course was uphill again, but seeing landmarks that I knew were near the finish line kept me going.  I then actually saw the finish banner and pushed myself to keep going to cross the line.  The clock at the finish line read a little over 28 minutes when I crossed. I was surprised, especially knowing my real time would be less since I a good bit away from the starting line when the race started before crossing the start and having my time begin.  After I crossed the finished line, I took the bottle of water they handed me, but shook my head no to the banana.  I felt exhilarated and happy that I finished the race, but also a little sick as well.

My official time for the race ending up being 27 minutes and 20 seconds, which was a pace of a mile every 8 minutes and 48 seconds or just over 7mph.  I came in 227 out of 448 timed male racers.  For my age group, 40-43, I was 28th out of 59 male runners.

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
Re: I did it! Ran my first 5k race.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 10:05:40 pm »
Nice! You mentioned many months, but how long did it take? What was the basic break down of the regiment?
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:10:43 am »
I've just started getting back into shape. Making progress is such a great feeling.

Just wanted to say congrats.
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Drake Blackpaw

• Male
    • http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:57 am »
Nice! You mentioned many months, but how long did it take? What was the basic break down of the regiment?

I looked back at the journal on my iPhone app and I actually started the couch to 5k running program earlier than I thought.  I first started it the end of July in 2010.  So we are talking a little over 14 months before I started training till I ran a 5k.  I took my time going to different stages in the program and spent many months just doing the same week over and over again.  I don't think it was till about March where I really got serious about trying to make it all the way through the program.  If you progressed through the program at the suggested pace, you would be up to running a 5k in 9 weeks. (I was pretty out of shape to begin with).

The program itself is pretty simple.  You alternate between walking briskly and jogging/running for a period of time, 20 - 40 minutes depending on which week and day you are on.  As you progress through the weeks, the amount of time walking becomes less and the amount jogging becomes more.  The last couple of weeks is just jogging/running for a set period of time sandwiched between a 5 minute warm-up and cool down walk.

I probably could have made it through a 5k several months ago.  I've been doing over 3.2 miles running (5k) on the treadmill for awhile now, but running outside, especially with hills, even if they are small, is a lot different than on a treadmill.  Still, I'm glad I waited until now for my first race as I was able to do it and not kill myself.  I actually spent the rest of the day running around and doing various errands.  I pretty much didn't feel any ill effects from having run the race in the morning.

I'm not sure if I will do more races in the future or not, but I will definitely keep running either way.  Maybe I will set my sights on doing a 10k sometime next year.