Author Topic: TinTin movie  (Read 1307 times)

Offline MressFan

• Male
TinTin movie
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:34:10 pm »

Anyone looking forward to this cool looking CGI movie? i am, i've been a fan of TinTin since i watched the HBO toon 20 years ago when i was 10.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: TinTin movie
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »

Offline Sunny Snowflame

• Greetings, Earthlings! You will obey me!!
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:57 pm »
Wow, I hadn't even heard of this until today! Lately, I've only been interested in pre-1995 films and television, so I haven't had a cable TV subscription since a few years ago. Occasionally though, I do go to the theater for landmark films likely to be studied in the future, particularly the animated ones. This looks like it's going to be something special! Having been in development hell for almost thirty years, this is definitely going on my list of movies to see this year!  :o
Just what exactly is a nerf, and how does one herd them?...

Offline Mylo

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:25:42 pm »
I want to see this movie as well, but I hope it doesn't have the same "uncanny valley" as The Polar Express... 

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »
I want to see this movie as well, but I hope it doesn't have the same "uncanny valley" as The Polar Express... 

Have you seen the trailers for this movie?  In my opinion the character designs from this new Tintin film head straight into the uncanny valley at full speed ahead with rocket boots!  At best, some of the characters look just like how  The Polar Express characters did (and that's not a compliment).  Tintin in particular looks like a kid straight out of The Polar Express movie only with Tintin's trademarked hairstyle glued on top of his head.  At worst, some of the characters look like unholy abominations-- the character designs for the two police detectives, Thomson and Thompson, for example look downright fugly.

Why oh why did Spielberg decide to make the movie versions of the characters look so darn close to photo realistic, but yet not quite?  That is the textbook way to fall straight into the uncanny valley!  In fact, Spielberg and co. have gone so far into the uncanny valley this time they must either be blind or for some reason beyond my understanding they did it on purpose just to make everything look visually unsettling!  You either make your characters so perfectly realistic that they are indistinguishable from real live humans, or you make them cartoony and stylized.  If you go somewhere in-between like they did here your character designs take a trip straight into creepyland.  Considering the fact that the characters from The Adventures of Tintin were heavily stylized comic book characters originally, why didn't Spielberg and co. design the CG versions in a way that was similar to how Pixar designed the characters in The Incredibles?  In The Incredibles you also had amazing immersive photo-realistic backgrounds and scenery, but since the CG characters were still stylized and cartoonish they did not fall into the uncanny valley and everything both looked and worked great.

I enjoyed watching the Tintin animated television series back in the early 1990's and I actually have a Tintin comic book written in French that my father brought back for me from Belgium, so you can say that I am at least a casual fan of the series.  I was originally very excited when I heard that there was going to be a Tintin movie being made, but after seeing the trailer now I am not so sure.  The landscapes, the ships, and the seaplane all look beautiful, but man are those CG versions of the characters garish to look at!  What a wasted opportunity!   :P

Offline MressFan

• Male
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:21:46 am »

Have you seen the trailers for this movie?  In my opinion the character designs from this new Tintin film head straight into the uncanny valley at full speed ahead with rocket boots!  At best, some of the characters look just like how  The Polar Express characters did (and that's not a compliment).  Tintin in particular looks like a kid straight out of The Polar Express movie only with Tintin's trademarked hairstyle glued on top of his head.  At worst, some of the characters look like unholy abominations-- the character designs for the two police detectives, Thomson and Thompson, for example look downright fugly.

Why oh why did Spielberg decide to make the movie versions of the characters look so darn close to photo realistic, but yet not quite?  That is the textbook way to fall straight into the uncanny valley!  In fact, Spielberg and co. have gone so far into the uncanny valley this time they must either be blind or for some reason beyond my understanding they did it on purpose just to make everything look visually unsettling!  You either make your characters so perfectly realistic that they are indistinguishable from real live humans, or you make them cartoony and stylized.  If you go somewhere in-between like they did here your character designs take a trip straight into creepyland.  Considering the fact that the characters from The Adventures of Tintin were heavily stylized comic book characters originally, why didn't Spielberg and co. design the CG versions in a way that was similar to how Pixar designed the characters in The Incredibles?  In The Incredibles you also had amazing immersive photo-realistic backgrounds and scenery, but since the CG characters were still stylized and cartoonish they did not fall into the uncanny valley and everything both looked and worked great.

I enjoyed watching the Tintin animated television series back in the early 1990's and I actually have a Tintin comic book written in French that my father brought back for me from Belgium, so you can say that I am at least a casual fan of the series.  I was originally very excited when I heard that there was going to be a Tintin movie being made, but after seeing the trailer now I am not so sure.  The landscapes, the ships, and the seaplane all look beautiful, but man are those CG versions of the characters garish to look at!  What a wasted opportunity!   :P

Did Avatar and Rise of the Apes fall in the uncanny valley too on their Mocap? how come they weren't creepy the Na'Vi and Caesar i mean?

WRONG on uncanny valley!

Look at this new improved tweaked Captain Harrdock on this still
http://tintinology.poosk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Screen-shot-2011-09-17-at-9.29.06-AM.png

See, he wasn't as creepy as before and has been renewed as the eyes don't look dead and doesn't look like a real life human being, looks like a living cartoon character as it looks unrealistic on the nose and all plus i believe uncanny valley has been destroyed thanks to that still as they are tweaking the characters.

Spielberg and Jackson are aware of uncanny valley problems in Mocap movies and have WETA which they did the mocap for Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Rise of the Apes, Narnia, X-Men First Class, District 9 etc. as Spielberg and Jackson both were unimpressed by Zemeckis's efforts and wants to do a new improved Mocap animation movie, they aren't replicating real life humans and actors they are replicating comic characters and they look stylish and unrealistic like the hoses and mustaches/beards.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:14 am »
Did Avatar and Rise of the Apes fall in the uncanny valley too on their Mocap? how come they weren't creepy the Na'Vi and Caesar i mean?

First of all, Caesar and the Na'Vi can't fall into the uncanny valley because they are not humans!  The very fact that Caesar, being an ape, and the Na'Vi, being cat-aliens, look so different from humans makes them stay far out of the valley.  The uncanny valley refers to a hypothesis about human replicas.  If a human replica looks and acts almost like a real human, but not quite, it can cause a response of revulsion to those that view it.  To quote Wikipedia:

Mori's original hypothesis states that as the appearance of a [human replica] is made more human, a human observer's emotional response to the [replica] will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong revulsion. However, as the appearance continues to become less distinguishable from a human being, the emotional response becomes positive once more and approaches human-to-human empathy levels.  This area of repulsive response aroused by a [human replica] with appearance and motion between a "barely human" and "fully human" entity is called the uncanny valley.

Because the characters in The Adventures of Tintin are supposed to portray humans, they are at much greater risk to fall into the uncanny valley than a non-human character would be.  (Also, just to make things clear, the fact that the Tintin movie characters use motion capture to control their "animation" doesn't have anything to do with why I feel that they fall into the uncanny valley.  I am commenting on the characters' appearances alone.)

WRONG on uncanny valley!

Look at this new improved tweaked Captain Harrdock on this still
http://tintinology.poosk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Screen-shot-2011-09-17-at-9.29.06-AM.png

See, he wasn't as creepy as before and has been renewed as the eyes don't look dead and doesn't look like a real life human being, looks like a living cartoon character as it looks unrealistic on the nose and all plus i believe uncanny valley has been destroyed thanks to that still as they are tweaking the characters.

I have to disagree.  While Captain Haddock's character design isn't as horrendous as the designs for Thomson and Thompson, the fact is that he still looks like he was made out of flesh-colored Play-Doh, and his face and nose are so puffy and swollen-looking that it looks like it has been stung by a swarm of bees.  And if Spielberg, Jackson, and company had to actually "tweak" the characters as you say to make them look less revolting than they do now then that shows that they were already going down the wrong track.  Had they made stylized cartoony CG characters like Pixar, Dreamworks Animation, and Blue Sky Animation all do in their animated films (because those studios are all experienced enough to know better) then they wouldn't be having this problem.

Just look at this comparison:

Look at how nice those designs look to the eye!  You can really feel comfortable with and emphasize with those characters!  Just look at Mr. Incredible's warm smile there!  He really gets his emotions across!

If you go part way in-between photorealistic and cartoony like Spielberg and Jackson did you come up with displeasing designs like this:

A bunch of people who look like they have been horribly stung in the face by a hive of bees!  And if MressFan is correct, these are their "improved" designs after they have been tweaked!   :P

Offline MressFan

• Male
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 12:29:57 pm »

Do you think ONLY mocap should work only on humanoids and non-humans?

What about L.A. Noire? awesome game that did amazing facial expressions and great Mocap as it didn't bridge the uncanny valley.

We're the Na'Vi more pleasing to the eye than those things on TinTin?

Pixar has done uncanny valley before with the short TinToy with that baby and he creeps people out. Would you say Fiona on Shrek is uncanny valley as well?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:34:12 pm by MressFan »

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »
I see a bunch of words on this phread that seem to be pretty 'meh' but also saw one of my favorite ones too; Unicorn. Lets talk more about this majestic animal. Anyone have some pics of how the Unicorn is going to look?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »
I see a bunch of words on this phread that seem to be pretty 'meh' but also saw one of my favorite ones too; Unicorn. Lets talk more about this majestic animal. Anyone have some pics of how the Unicorn is going to look?

The Unicorn in the movie refers to a ship. Not an animal.  :P

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:19:17 pm »
For me "uncanny valley" really does not happen at all if it's clear that the character wasn't meant to look realistic. For example: those noses. No way my mind is going to think "there's something subtly wrong here..." with something as blatant as that.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline MressFan

• Male
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »

Hey WS, did you think the Captain in the pic i showed had emotion even in the eyes? they don't look dead.

Maybe this will be on par with Monster House and that Mocap CGI animated movie didn't bridge the uncanny valley

Offline Aerisyka

• Female
    • http://aerisyka.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:35:54 am »
I dunno, man. I happened to see the preview for this a while ago, and immediately found something unsettling about the character designs/animation choice. Now that you mention uncanny valley, that puts it in place perfectly. I kind of agree with Hoagiebot on the design aesthetic in regards to making the characters far more stylized, especially if they were supposed to be based on cartoony characters to begin with. (I know nothing about the series.)

To each their own, though! If the visuals don't bother you, it might be a neat movie.
We have a fascination with the darkness, although we're standing in light.
We have the strongest sense of kindness, but we still can't treat our own selves right.

<:3=*)~

Icon by 22mg!

Offline MressFan

• Male
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 05:42:06 pm »

What did you think of Monster House or the game L.A. Noire?