Author Topic: Fire and Ice (1x1 with Skyfire)  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Sledge

• Species: Fyr Cat
  • Peace through superior firepower.
  • Male
Re: Fire and Ice (1x1 with Skyfire)
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 12:12:37 am »
Prowl collapsed as he walked away, and reached for her sword well out of her reach as her vision grew dim. She gave one last fight as the world went black, ramming her fist into a soldier's jaw with surprising force for the condition she was in, then completely blacking out soon after.

(Skip...)
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum. - If You Want Peace, Prepare For War.

Offline SkyFire

• Species: Pheonus Vulneras
  • The Sky is grey, for my Rose did fade away.
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »
Prowl was stabilized and borne away, secured within the elite camp. Maximus on the other hand, had plans to make....

Six hours later, Prowl awoke in a tent. The interior was richly decorated, carpeted with fine furred rugs, the walls decorated with patterned rugs taken from conquered lands. Rich, scented smoke filled the air inside. Incense burned in a couple braziers, two by the door and three more scattered against the walls. The tent was circular, with little furniture. A low table with pillows for seats, a large cot with thick fur blankets was opposit prowl. A fire burned in the center of the tent, warming it uncomfortably so. There was a chest at the foot of the cot, with an armor and weapon rack nearby. On it hung a surprisingly civilized-looking set of leather armor, along with a richly decorated spear. Prowl was bound in a kneeling position, her hands secured behind her, tied together tightly with small rope and little slack. Her ankles were bound likewise, and both were roped together to a stake driven deep into the ground. So deep, in fact, prowl couldn't budge it. The war wolf princess's armor had been taken off and piled nearly beside her. Prowl was wearing a white wool shirt and leggings that fit her well. Maximus sat on the cot, looking at prowl intently. The general's armor had been cleaned. "Are you all right?" Maximus's voice was full of concern, as was evidenced by the look of caring in his eyes as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:01:30 pm by SkyFire »
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:37 pm »
Prowl looked up groggily at first, confused as to where she was, then coming to rather quickly. She pulled at the ropes as hard as she could, to no avail, not noticing Maximus until he spoke; glaring at him for an uncomfortably long time once he did. "And you care why?" She finally asked, her voice as cold as the lands she lived in.
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »
Maximus snorted, smiling briefly. He'd expected a response like that. "Because, darling, all of this," Maximus gestured to the armor he was wearing, the one adorned with pelts. "All of this is an act. I am not a merciless savage. Nor do I skin people alive withou just cause. These pelts came from those who killed their families. Your people think we're barbaric savages who skin people alive, so I decided to act the part. It worked. You have believed my forces to be inferior every step of the way, but you've underestimated us and now it's time to capitulate to is. Our rule, while I have no doubt that at first it will be hated, will benefit your lands greatly. Roads, aqueducts, a civil service. We will give this all, and a voice of the people in the government. That stagnant, polluted monarchy with its squabbling nobles will be swept away, once and for all." Maximus sat back, sighing. Momentarily, the vulpine was lost in thought, thinking of what was to come. Then he shook his head and leaned forward again. "The King is coming here. I will try to reason with him, but I'm afraid that he may not see the proper path. I'll have to kill him then. It'd be a shame, really. I always need a local figurehead governor, keeps rebellions down." Maximus sounded regretful at the thought of killing the king, but accepted it as necessary if needed. This was all totally different then what prowl had been taught about Vel-Vardeh.
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 09:10:39 pm »
"And I'm supposed to believe you?" Prowl asked, struggling against the bindings again, despite how futile it was. "After you attacked us unprovoked, killed our people, and even went so far as to destroy our climate? I don't think so."

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:36 pm »
Maximus clicked his tongue reproachfully. "Come now, I saved your life. I spared you and showed you mercy. Why would I lie to you? On that matter, who is better informed than I to speak of my ambitions? The people who paint me a cruel and despotic ruler who skins fursons alive for fun?" Maximus snorted derisively. "No, I think not. I sent emissaries and merchants with fine luxury goods to your people. They were intended to deliver gifts, but instead, a petty magistrate seized the goods for himself and killed my men to cover it up. It was YOU who attacked me without provocation. Aside from that, your climate isn't destroyed. The spell is temporary, things will go back to normal after my armies are gone." Maximus spoke earnestly, honestly. It was clear in his eyes.
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »
"You also have me tied up." Prowl said flatly. "You're obviously going to be guarded, and I'm not armed, so untie me. Maybe you'll be a bit easier to believe when I'm not tied up like a slave."

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 10:28:54 pm »
Maximus laughed in response. "I'm not stupid, girl. You're a warrior, born, bred, and raised on martial skills. You don't need a weapon to attack an opponent. Weak though you are from your injuries, which I had my personal healer tend too, I have no doubt you've got enough strength to fight me. I also know your people value honor, which is why I have treated you as fairly as expected. Now, I will untie you, but only after you swear to me on your sacred honor that you will not try to escape, harm me, harm my men, and that you will treat me with respect and dignity, realizing that this is my domain for now, and you must abide by my rules." Vel-Vardeh rose, picking up prowl's white steel sword from where it lay next to him on the cot. "You can even swear on your blade, if you wish."
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 10:37:06 pm »
Prowl chuckled coldly and shook her head as she looked up at him. "You're not quite as stupid as you look... If you were truly wise, though, you'd leave now. I will never stop fighting you savages." She growled, adding to her insult by spitting at his feet, the only part she could really reach of him.

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 10:47:01 pm »
Maximus sighed, shaking his head before looking up at some greater deity in the heavens. "See? I tried. They don't listen. They believe their lies over my truth." Maximus shook his head and placed the sword on the table. "I really wish you'd stop acting like that. It's starting to annoy me, and I'm just trying to make peace. I want to help you, but you act like you want to help me die. I'm sorry, but get used to how you're sitting right now. Even with the spells, this lands gets damned cold at night, and, unfortunately, I can't take a blanket a soldier is using to keep warm at night to warm someone who'd rip his throat out if she got the chance."
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 10:54:09 pm »
"Ice flows through my veins." Prowl said, closing her eyes. "Let your weak soldiers have their twisted climate and their warm blankets. I don't need them."

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 12:18:37 am »
(Hey sledge, can you give me a bit more detail in your posts? Some stuff on what prowl is thinking/feeling, you know, stuff like that. Thank you!)

Maximus grabbed a cushion and sat down three feet from Prowl. "Look, you're a war wolf, never surrender, never give up, some other patriotic stuff. However, if you want daddy to leave this place alive, you're going to have to work WITH me, you understand? If he doesn't compromise, I promise you, he will die. So it's up to you to tell me how to make daddy see things my way, unless you want him dead." Maximus's tone was even, a tired expression on his face. It had been a long campaign. It was time to finish this business and go home.
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 12:30:56 am »
(Can do.)

Prowl thought for a moment, appearing almost asleep, then finally decided she really had one option and nodded, opening her eyes once more. "Fine. As much as I hate it, I'll submit to your terms. Untying me should help your chances... And his." Though her ruff still stood on end from the almost core feeling of rage she held, her silver eyes showed she was being sincere. "I'll even swear on Svyren, if it helps." She shifted slightly in her bindings, starting to lose feeling in certain areas, as well as because it was a fairly uncomfortable position she was bound in.

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 10:53:32 am »
Maximus cocked his head to one side, confused slightly. "I do not understand who or what this 'Svyren' is, but I will take your oath." He got up and went behind Prowl, cutting her bonds with his knife. Vel-Vardeh stayed behind her, with the knife out as a precautionary measure. "Now swear your oath." Maximus was willing to trust her, but it was blatantly obvious he wouldn't trust Prowl until she swore her oath to stay, not harm anyone, and obey Maximus with respect and dignity. It was to be expected, of course. The vulpine had shown her mercy, treated her fairly, and respected her as an opponent. In return, Prowl had refused to reciprocate the respect shown to her.
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 02:51:43 pm »
"Svyren is the name of my blade." Prowl said, rubbing her ankles before she stood, then rubbing her wrists where the bindings had been tight against her flesh. Once the feeling had returned, she gestured to her blade. "I swear by Svyren I'll keep the terms you've given. Now, if you'll hand me my blade, I can seal the oath." Her heart thundered in her chest and her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment: it felt wrong swearing her cooperation with this Warlord.

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 01:07:15 am »
Maximus nodded his head in understanding. He stepped out from behind her, sheathing the knife and fetching her sword. The color in Prowl's cheeks was not lost on the warlord. The fact that she felt bad about swearing her cooperation to him meant she could be trusted. It proved she was loyal, unlike those whose allegiances changed at the drop of a hat. You could never be sure if they weren't going to backstab you like their former masters. Maximus handed prowl her blade, stepping back. "After you swear, you may put your armor back on if you wish. From what I understand, you people seem to live in your armor."
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 01:20:45 am »
"Everyone has armor specifically made for them... So yes, I would like mine returned to me." Prowl replied, taking her white sword in her weapon hand and clasping her off hand over the razor sharp blade, scowling as she squeezed down on it until Crimson ran down the blade. Though her scowl was mostly because of the pain, there was still the factor of making a blood oath to Maximus, and deep down, she was concealing the thought that he might be telling the truth. She shook her head almost imperceptibly as she decided to wait and see what he could show her; she had been taught that it was actions, not words that made a person, and as such he could've argued his "truth" until he passed out, and she still wouldn't care. It was what he would do now that would either change or reinforce her thoughts. "Now, if you would, give me the words you'll be satisfied with me swearing to."

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 02:07:21 am »
Maximus gestured to where Prowl's armor lay neatly stacked next to where she had been bound. "You know what I want from you. Part of this is that I get to see how you word an oath, it helps me better understand your people and what you value, though I have a pretty good idea." The warlord waited until she swore her oath before he picked up the neat bundle. "Ha. You know, if it weren't for how tall I am, you and Zi could wear each other's armor." The warlord held up a hand, forestalling her reaction. "Yes, I did, and I know more about you know than I think you're comfortable with me knowing, so let's just move on. How do I get your dad to agree with me?"
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 09:38:31 am »
"Seeing as I still haven't agreed with you, I'd say the same way as me. If you know so much about us, you'd know your words won't help you." Prowl replied with a shrug, donning her armor piece by piece until something donned on her; she hadn't taken her armor off, and she hadn't been wearing these clothes underneath it. "Tell me something... How did I come to be wearing these clothes?" She continued getting dressed, but her sharp silver gaze moved to him, studying him for his reaction.

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 02:30:36 pm »
The warlord smiled at her mirthlessly. "You were bleeding out, and they needed room to work on you. So of course they removed your armor and your clothing. No worries, I had your clothes burned, they were too bloodstained to wear. Besides, how else do you think I'd know how your left arm is armored with slightly heavier leather than your right, or how your gorget is padded with sheepskin like a common soldier's. The whole suit fits you tightly like a glove, but it is made lighter in some areas so you don't have your mobility restricted. While you have certain areas specially padded with the fine furs befitting royalty, the majority of it is padded with the common man's equivalent. Overall, your armor is as uncomfortable as your rank allows, reminding you that what you have is something many do not." The warlord gestured across the tent at his own civilized decorated suit. "Your old armor was trashed, beyond repair. I had it analyzed, then broken down after we made a copy. Your original suit is no more. That suit over there was designed after it. Yes, I know your people place no stock in words. I still need to convince him, however."
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 02:45:26 pm »
"My old armor had a cut in the side that would've told a story." Prowl said, running her hand over the smooth leather of her new armor with a sigh, then belted her sword on her hip. "This is the armor of a sell-out and a failure..." In her and her nation's eyes, dying in combat would've been more honorable than this outcome, and agreeing to his terms of release made her failure that much worse. "You should've killed me. Now, I'm just useful to you for negotiations. You show my father I'm alive as a sign of good faith and a sigh that you keep your word..." She said, her tone becoming somewhat snarky again. "And you still end up fighting to the death because a War Wolf knows no surrender."

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 04:09:28 pm »
Maximus sighed. "If I had killed you, then we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we? Besides, I'm not asking him to surrender. I'm simply asking him to accept a new order, and you're here to help me convince him. Worst comes to worst, you lose your father and I gain a new bodyguard." The vulpine made a dismissive gesture with his hands. "Look, this argument is pointless. You've already sworn to me, a blood oath at that, so start helping. Take a seat at the table and start talking about what your father is like, what his diplomatic tendencies are, stuff like that. Feel free to eat if you want." The warlord turned around, heading back over to his cot and starting to take off his armor, loosening the straps a little. On the table was a bowl of fruits, and some dried meats, unnoticed in her earlier observations. It was obvious Maximus didn't care whether she ate or not, but he definitely wanted to hear about her father.

(Is there any way the king will agree?)
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 10:29:33 pm »
(I'm thinking no, but that sorta depends. Can you work with it better one way or another?)

"I'm not arguing." Prowl said flatly, picking up a piece of the dried meat and examining it carefully. He likely wouldn't have anything to gain from poisoning her now, but she wasn't going to take anything for granted. "And you gain a bodyguard? I agreed not to kill you. I didn't agree to protect you if someone else should try to stick a blade between your ribs." After a second, she finally bit off part of the meat and chewed it slowly, once again making sure it wasn't poisoned; after all, they had been enemies just a few minutes before. "My father, as you asked, is bull true to say the least. That's not to say he won't listen to the people, though... He does quite often. Diplomatically... He stands firm in his terms and clears away those who oppose them. If you can make him see that your terms are right for your people, you might stand a chance of leaving him alive."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:52:23 pm by Sledge »

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 04:44:42 pm »
(Well, if her father is still alive, I think Prowl would become less likely to slit his throat than if her father was dead. Her shame would probably keep her away from her kingdom, a self-imposed banishment, especially if the king was still alive and made it known. That would give her more reason to stick with Maximus and erode her distrust of him over time. It'd allow the possibility of a relationship where feelings, not oaths, are what keeps them together. Besides, I have no desire to go full Mongol on the war wolves and kill innocents, that'd stain Maximus beyond redemption.)

Maximus didn't reply, waiting until Prowl's back was turned to him before hastily taken off his barbaric armor and putting on the much more civilized set. The white leather was similar to Prowl's armor, but it was decorated in different patterns, and sized to fit the tall, lanky warlord perfectly. Silver trimmed the edges, and the armor boasted several finely woven cloth accents. A green cape hung from the shoulders of the armor, reaching almost to the floor, trimmed in silver, and there was a green sash with silver trim that went from the left shoulder to the right hip, whilst there was also a silver trimmed green kama at the waist. The use of green, white, and silver trim gave the warlord a surprisingly regal appearance, contrasting sharply with his earlier image. The decorated silver spear he now carried did little to detract from Maximus's appearance. "No, you wouldn't be my bodyguard. I don't trust you enough, and you don't trust me. However, I have no doubt that there are those out there whom I would find worthy enough to entrust with my safety, hence my gaining a bodyguard. Anyways, I rather hope to avoid that outcome, so why not focus on how to do that, exactly? You said he thinks of his people first, in what ways? What needs does the king know he cannot meet?"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:57:07 pm by SkyFire »
10K post club.

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:43 pm »
(Sounds like a good plan.)