Author Topic: Buying fursuits and partials from Etsy?  (Read 5206 times)

Offline TheFoxAddict

Buying fursuits and partials from Etsy?
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
The thing is that I'd love to have a partial fursuit of my fursona oneday. But at the same time I'm unsure how I feel about fursuiting, and if it really is me to own one.

Since I don't know how I feel unil I've actually tried it irl, I thought the smartest thing to do might be to get a cheaper starter partial set first. Wouldn't want to waste $2000 on a fursuit when I still need to figure out how I feel about fursuiting. Sure I'd really love to own one, but my doubts have a lot to do with my social anxiety and low self esteem. It kinda keeps me from being brave enough to own one I guess.

Still just having a partial fursuit of my beloved fursona (I'm still working on him though) would have been awesome!

For a starter head or partial set, I've seen some pretty decent and good fursuits on "Etsy". I've found makers who sell custom made fursuits. I'm tempted to buy from Etsy because I like what I've seen there. And I'm only wanting a starter set anyway.

Would you recommend buying from Etsy? If you were in my situation would you also go for a cheaper starter set?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Buying fursuits and partials from Etsy?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
First, we do have a Fursuiting forum where you can post fursuit topics.
http://forums.furtopia.org/fursuits-and-plushies/
So you can probably ask a Mod to move your topic there as it will fit better. ;)

Second, I know nothing about Etsy as I have never bought anything from that site before. Only advice I can give is to read my Commission tutorial here:

http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/how-to-commission-a-fursuit-version-2-0/
Particuarly Part # 12.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:14:32 pm »
P.S. -

Are there any other furries that live in your area that you know that might have full or partial fursuits? If so, maybe you could get to know them and ask if you could try on one of their suits just to see how you like wearing a suit and if it would be good for you or not? I did this same exact thing long, long ago for a past friend. He was unsure if he wanted to try fursuiting or not and was unsure about buying a suit. So I let him try on my suit for a bit to see how he'd like it. Didn't take him long to get hooked and I was helping him with colors and designs for his suit. ;)

Offline TheFoxAddict

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:27 pm »
First, we do have a Fursuiting forum where you can post fursuit topics.
http://forums.furtopia.org/fursuits-and-plushies/
So you can probably ask a Mod to move your topic there as it will fit better. ;)

Second, I know nothing about Etsy as I have never bought anything from that site before. Only advice I can give is to read my Commission tutorial here:

http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/how-to-commission-a-fursuit-version-2-0/
Particuarly Part # 12.

Ok I'll get a Mod to move my thread. Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I'm new around here  :-[
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:53:25 pm by TheFoxAddict »

Offline TheFoxAddict

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:09:27 pm »
P.S. -

Are there any other furries that live in your area that you know that might have full or partial fursuits? If so, maybe you could get to know them and ask if you could try on one of their suits just to see how you like wearing a suit and if it would be good for you or not? I did this same exact thing long, long ago for a past friend. He was unsure if he wanted to try fursuiting or not and was unsure about buying a suit. So I let him try on my suit for a bit to see how he'd like it. Didn't take him long to get hooked and I was helping him with colors and designs for his suit. ;)

I don't know of anybody. Actually, I guess not having the courage to openly being a fursuiter have confused me into feeling that I don't know how I feel about fursuiting. It's my social anxiety and low self esteem talking. I watch fursuiting videos on youtube all the time! Deep inside I feel it would have been awesome to own a partial fursuit of my fursona. I just don't know if i dare to  x_x

Another obstacle is that I have to deal with my Cronic Fatigue Syndrome diagnosis. It's pretty bad at times so I worry I won't have much energy for fursuiting most of the time. It's one thing after the other  :-[

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:20:13 pm by TheFoxAddict »

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »
I've looked into Etsy too. I think I want to save up for a partial, though, because the designs I have in mind are too specific for a premade suit. If you can, attend a fur con and find out more about suits that way. I tried on a fursuit at my first fur con and I would love to own one someday.

Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:07:59 pm »
I've seen some really crazy bad stuff listed on sites like that. Paper mache. Cardboard. All sorts of things you really don't want to stick your head in. Unless it's a one night event like Halloween. Wear it once and toss it. Best advice. Save up and get something from a real fursuit maker. One that has a reputation for quality. It'll take longer but you'll be happier with the product.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 09:31:37 pm »
Best advice. Save up and get something from a real fursuit maker. One that has a reputation for quality. It'll take longer but you'll be happier with the product.

^  This! Quoted for truth.  :)

Offline TheFoxAddict

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:56 am »
Thank you guys for the help :) I have come to the conclusion that I need more time just enjoying to draw my Fursona for a while.

I don't get to draw as much at the moment as I'd like to though. I only do digital  drawing. And I feel drawing on a small ipad with a squishy rubber stylus that just wants to stick to the screen like glue, rather than sliding across it like it should, is really challenging. I struggle to draw with my current digital drawing device like crazy  :(

I'm hoping to get to order an ipad pro 12.9 instead this summer\ late summer and an apple pencil so I can start drawing properly.

Fursuiting even how fun it looks, I think I better do some more serious thinking. For now I guess I'm fine with my "pawstar" fox tail, ears and paws.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:38:54 am by TheFoxAddict »

Offline TheFoxAddict

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:40:21 am »
Saving up is a good advice  :)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:17:33 pm »
Another obstacle is that I have to deal with my Cronic Fatigue Syndrome diagnosis. It's pretty bad at times so I worry I won't have much energy for fursuiting most of the time. It's one thing after the other

I don't think you'll have to worry much about fatigue when wearing a partial fursuit. Partials aren't nearly as hot and cumbersome as what a full fursuit would be if you had the extra bodysuit portion.

Offline TheFoxAddict

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:58:03 pm »
Another obstacle is that I have to deal with my Cronic Fatigue Syndrome diagnosis. It's pretty bad at times so I worry I won't have much energy for fursuiting most of the time. It's one thing after the other

I don't think you'll have to worry much about fatigue when wearing a partial fursuit. Partials aren't nearly as hot and cumbersome as what a full fursuit would be if you had the extra bodysuit portion.

Yes, I thoght a partial fursuit probably would be best for me. I overheat a bit too in the summers. But I think I should be able to handle a partial one. I just need some more time first working on my Fursona, getting used to my clip-on ears and tail, and gather more courage to become a partial Fursuit owner.

My Fursona wears clothes and shoes. And have human like 5 fingered hands/ paws. So I'd have to go for a partial set anyway. I would have no need for a full suit.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:45 pm »
Orderd a canine tail with squeaker from a fursuit parts maker on Etsy a few weeks ago to upgrade my fursuit. My tail gets tugged at non-furry events and that special feature could prove embarassing to such persons. Plus they might also receive a verbal warning
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:16 am »
Surprisingly, I do have an experience with this. To me fursuits are really expensive and not worth the money for how often I would wear it. Not to mention I get hot really fast, and I like to have a lot of movement freedom and clear vision. So, instead of a fursuit I ordered myself a furry hoodie. Last DFC I also saw a few others who chose for "fursuit alternatives", but those people were wearing kigu... Kig... Those Japanese-ish onesie pyjama costumes. If you're on a low budget and find wearing fursuits uncomfortable, you can also look into things like those.

Now as for buying on Etsy... Yes, I have ordered my hoodie at a creator on Etsy. Before finding them, I did do some searching around on Google and asked a few other furs who would be up to making a hoodie, and it did help a lot. Don't be afraid to ask furries with fursuits you like where they got their fursuit from. You can even check some furry YouTubers to see where they got theirs from. Still, after all that I found the creator I wanted to order my hoodie from on DeviantArt before finding their Etsy page, and many others found it the same way. That allowed me to look around DeviantArt at what I could expect and how reliable the creator was relatively easily, especially for a creator that's not very well-known inside the fandom. Keep in mind that you cannot say that for everyone on Etsy! Like all sites, it has people on there you can't trust. If you found a creator on Etsy you like, you can try googling their username to see if they also pop up in other places.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 08:51:53 pm »
My new tail from Pocket Wolf was waiting on the doorstep a few weeks ago, and several weeks before the estimate given. The tail is quite solid and the squeaker in the tip is loud. It may be a few months before it gets taken out for a test drive.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)