furry arts discussion > traditional and digital artwork

First Sketches Of Lillian Lighthare

(1/1)

:
These sketches comprise my first picture of my main rabbit character, Lillian Lighthare.  The image means a lot to me for that reason, and for what it represents to me.  When I changed my heroines from humans to anthropomorphic animals, a new world in which I could handle stereotypes, biases, and social issues opened for me and the stories really took off.  Now my key problem is keeping it under control long enough to finish something, rather than struggle to get anywhere.  Lillian Lighthare was the first of the cast to be drawn.

The description of this forum says, "Here you may share a picture and what makes it special to you!  Comments welcome in this forum."  So, I thought I would share an image that is special to me, now that I have finally made it public on my web site.

Kada-Ru:
I posted a reply to this yesterday but it never showed up so I don't know what happened to it. So, I will re-post. (giggles)

I must say 'she' is adorable!

I have seen other artists create these types of pages. Is there a particular reason you sketch them?

I have never drawn one of these pages. When I draw a character I just draw the character the way I see it for the piece.

DrakonianDanceR:
The character loks very nice.  But more importantly, I respect what she means to you, and what she stands for.  As for "Now my key problem is keeping it under control long enough to finish something, rather than struggle to get anywhere." I can relate to that very well.  Finishing things can be so very hard, though for me, starting things is equally as challenging.

Oh, and as you usually want a fact for the day: the comedian and talkshow host, Graham Norton was born on this day (April 4th) in 1963.  Huzzah.

:
Kada-Ru:  I have seen other artists create these types of pages.  Is there a particular reason you sketch them?  I cannot speak for other artists, but I actually generally do not draw these things.  Like you mentioned, I usually draw the character in a particular piece.

Having said that, I do find that having general sketches and studies of the character (like the one in question) give nice, quick references and I mean to do more.  Some people do detailed studies, especially when constructing characters for comic books.  These can be really helpful keeping a character consistent from one image to the next.  The artist has one handy source for many angles, poses, and expressions.

When working on a previously drawn character like Lillian Lighthare, I frequently have to flip through old works to know how I did what.  She can change (and has), but I like to keep certain details consistent.

DrakonianDanceR:  I respect what she means to you, and what she stands for.  As for "Now my key problem is keeping it under control long enough to finish something, rather than struggle to get anywhere," I can relate to that very well.  Thanks for the comments.  I wonder how many of us do have that problem of our imagination running away with us, rather than the other way around!

Oh, and as you usually want a fact for the day: the comedian and talkshow host, Graham Norton was born on this day (April 4th) in 1963.  Thanks!  You spoil me.

Kada-Ru:
Schopfer wrote: Quote These can be really helpful keeping a character consistent from one image to the next.  The artist has one handy source for many angles, poses, and expressions.
Thank you Sheryl! I get it now. I know for me when I create a character I can see where having the many positions helpful escpecially when they have specific markings. (nods) I will have to remember that for future characters when creating more than one pic of each!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version