Author Topic: Holt5's Artwork  (Read 33807 times)

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
Re: Holt5's Artwork
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2018, 08:34:44 am »
@Kobuk and Old Rabbit: Thanks fellas!

Happy hour - a bunch of animals having a drink.
"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2018, 10:43:13 am »
Oh goodness, looking through this thread I see some astounding stuff. You're very talented. :D
It takes a lot of skill to not only pull off realistic looking anthros but cartoony ones too and not have a bleeding effect where things look similar.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2018, 04:56:53 am »
Thanks, Kay - I appreciate the thoughtful input!  :)

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2018, 10:52:13 am »
Holt5, I think you have a device that allows you to go to a real anthro world, and you are taking pictures!
 8)
Nice!
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2018, 01:13:10 am »
That pensive gecko is awesome...thanks for sharing!  :D
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2018, 10:07:00 am »
Holt5, I think you have a device that allows you to go to a real anthro world, and you are taking pictures!
 8)
Nice!
Ha ha - thanks, Jade! I kinda wish that were the case.  :D

That pensive gecko is awesome...thanks for sharing!  :D

Thanks, Iara! I need to do more reptiles, but I guess I'm just more vested in the ones I've been drawing forever.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2018, 11:47:49 am »
So awesome, I mean, dang Holt5!
Nice subjects, nice facial expressions!  I still think you are getting into an interdimensional transporter and going to somewhere and sketching the people there, just saying.

So if I may ask... how long does it take you to get "started" , and then how long does it take you to finish it?
Does it start slow and then speed up as it takes form?  What's the hardest part for you?

For me, I can barely get started with a drawing, and then it takes me forever to get something done.   Then it looks like junk.   But I know I am not an artist, so...hey. 

Good work!
 :)
(Name that tune!)

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2018, 12:18:16 pm »
So awesome, I mean, dang Holt5!
Nice subjects, nice facial expressions!  I still think you are getting into an interdimensional transporter and going to somewhere and sketching the people there, just saying.

So if I may ask... how long does it take you to get "started" , and then how long does it take you to finish it?
Does it start slow and then speed up as it takes form?  What's the hardest part for you?

For me, I can barely get started with a drawing, and then it takes me forever to get something done.   Then it looks like junk.   But I know I am not an artist, so...hey. 

Good work!
 :)

Hey thanks, Jade! I'm glad you like it!

Hmmm, getting started insofar as laying out the basic lines and figuring out where I want everything to go? That depends. If it's something simple, it can take less than 5 minutes in most cases. If it's complex, it could take 10+ minutes, and I just end up updating and figuring everything out as I go along on a lot of them too.

My drawing speed can vary from day to day: sometimes I feel like I can work like lightning, have everything under control, and can just churn out a good piece. But other days I feel like I've forgotten everything I've learned, can't get a single thing to look right, and NOTHING gets done, ha ha. Overall though, my drawing process stays pretty steady. By the time my outlines are ready (if I'm using outlines) I'm usually ready to go right onto the filling-in phase.   

The hardest part of any drawing for me is patience in most cases. I also tend to have the most trouble drawing hands and feet, but I've slowly been getting out of that and finding new things that cause me trouble heheh.

I used to have the same problem actually - and still do from time to time. Probably the biggest help to my work speed has been learning with form studies. My mistake when I first started drawing was thinking "more detail = realism" but that is not quite the case. When you try to go into a drawing and just detail the heck out of it to make it look nice, it not only wears you out really quickly, but it ends up looking really messy because it's like trying to fit too many clothes in a badly-shaped suitcase. To make an object look realistic, it has to look like the proper shape of that object first - before any actual detail is added. And for that you need an understanding of how light works and also some basic anatomy.

If drawing is something that interests you, whether or not you want to call yourself an artist, it is a great thing to learn and understand. I know of a few people on Youtube you can check out if you would like to look into it. Form studies might seem boring and over-complicated at first, but with the right teacher they can be a lot of fun, and you can make some big jumps in your art quality if you're willing to put in the effort. Also sorry for the wall of text, but I love talking about art stuff.   (:

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2018, 06:08:56 am »

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2018, 07:57:45 am »

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2018, 10:54:38 am »
Blown away!
Envious
Can't speak *gasp*

Like, dang!

Good work!

Please lie and tell me it took you weeks to make the lizard...
If ever I can get some free time I want to draw more.
Everybody on furtopia inspires me.

(Name that tune!)

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2018, 01:32:59 am »
Thanks, Jade!  :D

It took about a day to make the reptile, and roughly the same for all the other ones. Just focused on keeping the form accurate and gave it selective details here & there. Added some color, and made some adjustments on the computer!

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2018, 01:45:07 am »

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2018, 10:18:41 am »

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2018, 01:17:29 am »
Holt5-lovely work as ever, thank you so much for sharing!!
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2019, 12:18:21 pm »
Holt5-lovely work as ever, thank you so much for sharing!!

Thanks, Iara!  :)

This is Gena the Crocodile from Cheburashka.

This is a WIP - haven't worked on it for quite awhile at this point, but hopefully it'll get finished eventually.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2019, 12:48:18 pm »
Those mice remind me of the mice characters from the Disney film The Rescuers. Gawd, I haven't seen that movie in ages.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2019, 10:11:48 pm »
Are the mice a watercolor on paper?
(Name that tune!)

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2019, 05:25:58 am »
Those mice remind me of the mice characters from the Disney film The Rescuers. Gawd, I haven't seen that movie in ages.

These were modelled after the style of the Rescuers to some extent - I watched it for the first time in a long while myself and ended up doing a few pieces based off of it in some way. Love that movie!

Are the mice a watercolor on paper?

For the mice I used Copic markers - although I'd like to start using watercolor more. Omar Rayyan does some insanely good watercolor work.