Author Topic: $_POST Problem  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Mister Initial Man

• Species: Lynx/Bear
  • Male
    • The Lynx's Den
$_POST Problem
« on: December 03, 2009, 03:07:50 am »
There is a form I created to assist someone in the creation of statistics for a furry basketball site.  The form has, in total, around 600 different fields.  I cannot use $_GET -- the URL is far too long.  Therefore I must use $_POST.  However, I run into a very serious problem:  as I said, the form has nearly 600 different fields in total.  When I put my form on the furtopia server I discovered I had a serious problem:  $_POST can only get the first 200.  What can I do?

EDIT:  Make that aroound 800.  >.<
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:49:02 am by Mister Initial Man »

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
Re: $_POST Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:13 pm »
There are various security patches to PHP to prevent exploits and unfortuantly this is a common limit with modern PHP configs. 

Honestly that is a HUGE insane # of post variables.  Have you thought of using a MYSQL table to move those fields from one program to another?  That would seem most efficient?  Then all you need is a post variable to say there is data waiting in the mysql.

WhiteShepherd
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Mister Initial Man

• Species: Lynx/Bear
  • Male
    • The Lynx's Den
Re: $_POST Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:10:46 pm »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I managed to get around the problem by using JavaScript and doing everything clientside.  However, I will gladly explain why such a huge $_POST was used:

All fields were from ONE form.  Here's an example of such a form: http://fba.furtopia.org/Stats_Creation/createstats.php?G_Month=Dec&G_Day=6&Weekday=Sun&A_Team=MON&H_Team=HNT

fba.furtopia.org is the home page of a furry fantasy basketball association, and THIS was to allow those in charge to create the box scores for a game.  So MySQL would not have helped (nor session variables, which I also tried.)  (Oh, and I rechecked.  It WAS around 600.  Sorry for the confuzzlement).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:14:51 pm by Mister Initial Man »