Author Topic: How do u become mod...  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
How do u become mod...
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:46:40 pm »
How do you become a mod,admin ect.? :)

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
Re: How do u become mod...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:36:53 pm »
Good question.  For me, it was more of a surprise than anything.  I had been here for about a year or so before I was asked to join staff as a watcher.  Same thing when they asked me to be a mod.

From what I can see, there's no set guideline or anything.  If I were choosing, though, I'd choose members who have been here for a while, contributed well and would be good as staff. :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »
Methinks it's a combination of overall reputation, attitude and if you have "it". I'm sure knowing WS and Kada-Ru in real life might help as they can see how you really are, but proably isn't a determining factor. I know for sure I'd never be staff here and that is fine. xD I'd probably be under preassure or something, plus I am planning a site next year (non furry) so it might be too stressful.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »
Moved to this forum as the topic seems better suited here. ;)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:53:50 pm »
Three key words:

Respect (Respect the staff and fellow members)
Trust
Attitude

And also following the Furtopian rules and guidelines and not being a rule breaker/troublemaker. The staff select people based on the above three things (and other items). There's a lot of other factors that determine when/if we need more staff. But right now, our roster is full and we're fine right now. ;)

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »
Don't forget about the watchers! 8) The sequence goes Watcher -> Mod -> Admin, and you have to have done a great job in each previous position before moving up. Existing mods and admins are the ones who choose the new watchers and mods, and existing admins are the only ones who choose new admins.

There are no set criteria for how we choose new staff members, but Kobuk's "three key words" are some of the main things we think about. We look for active members who always have a friendly attitude towards others, who respect their fellow members, and whom we feel we can trust to both follow and uphold all the rules. You also have to post regularly, and you have to have been on the forums for a substantial amount of time... but really, both of those guidelines are because we won't know otherwise whether we can trust you.

Sometimes when I think about it, I think it's crazy that we have such an involved staffing process, lol. But I think we've wound up with some damn good people this way, and I hope the results speak for themselves.. :)

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:25:27 pm »
I love the attitude by some forums about stuff like this. If you ask how to become a mod, you will never be one. X3 Seriously, I remember this taken seriously on old places I used to frequent.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »
<.<

>.>

Bribing me with Mt. Dew and/or swearing allegiance to the Carnivores might also help get someone a position.  8)  :D

But seriously, If anyone thinks this is an easy or glamorous job, it's not. The staff do this voluntarily. But I think this thread sums up things nicely on why we do what we do. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,15953.0.html

Offline Onyx Storm

• Umm... Woof!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
it's cause y'all are awsome like that
I wonder why that frisbee is getting bigger...    and then it hits me.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 01:23:59 am »
I love the attitude by some forums about stuff like this. If you ask how to become a mod, you will never be one. X3 Seriously, I remember this taken seriously on old places I used to frequent.
:D
Yeah, general rule of thumb I've observed around the net  ;)

Also, I noticed that generally people have to be around here for about... 2+ years before they get promoted, so ... yeah.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:28:14 am »
Let's see...I was born year of the fire RABBIT and prefer things like Arizona green tea and Sobe energy drink to Dew. No dice, Mr. Kobuk. ;)

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:58:55 am »
Let's see...I was born year of the fire RABBIT and prefer things like Arizona green tea and Sobe energy drink to Dew. No dice, Mr. Kobuk. ;)

Kobuk likes green tea.  Perhaps that'll persuade him. :D

I don't agree with that attitude that some forums have, but it makes sense.  Some of the best leaders are those who don't try to be leaders.  Of course, this isn't always true, but people who are devoted to the forum rather than becoming leadership are those who will do their best to make sure the forum goes well.  This is why most of the staff members here have been on the forum for years.  They've shown their dedication. :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:22 pm »
Well, there was this place that was the total opposite called GameTalk. Which btw is defunct so I can say what I want. =p GT had the equivlant of an application form in the header of each board.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:25:08 pm »
Also, the staff has to like you  ;)
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline BrazzBadger

• Male
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »
WOW!! I didn't realize that those who poor their heart and soals into this website are so heavily volunteer based.  *bows respectively* My hats off to you all. The dedication that you show is truly amazing.
Time is a commodity we all share. We spend a little of it each day. Some chase it, some embrace it, while others use it for gain. We can't reclaim it once it's spent; but with good friends by our side we can almost make it stand still. Enjoy time well spent.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 11:07:30 am »
WOW!! I didn't realize that those who poor their heart and soals into this website are so heavily volunteer based.  *bows respectively* My hats off to you all. The dedication that you show is truly amazing.
Yeah, everything here is entirely volunteer run IIRC; I believe it said so on the main site's staff page...
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/