Author Topic: can't help it  (Read 1012 times)

Offline victorwolf

• Male
can't help it
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »
can't help but feel sad the world is going to hell and the economic problems every where. the impending wars, poverty, and countless other things that are going to happen. also zombies. the loss of jobs people might lot and riot all over the world because they don't have enough money to keep them stable. society might collapse and send every one into another world war. nuclear war might happen (big possibility). if you have any thing to add to the list I'd be more than happy to hear them or even if you say something wont happen I'm open to constructive criticism. you can even give reasons on not being sad besides family.
a rose by any other name smells just as sweet

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
Re: can't help it
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:50:24 pm »
I could get killed in a traffic accident tomorrow. Whatever. For now, I'm going to enjoy bad TV, good music, and a great online furry community. Cheer up!
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Metalhead_Mockingbird

• Starting another intergalactic cold war.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »
Well, buddy. This is why Capitalism works, and all others pale in comparison. We'll have poverty, we'll have wars in national interest, loss of jobs, to debt. But that will always swing around if people believe in their country, and make tough decisions.

Capitalism has ups and downs, its just how things are. People will always be impoverished, for multiple reasons. People will always wage wars. That's how we are, and how we secure our national interests in the world- its how everyone does. These things happen, and when you realize it its a cleansing experience when looking back in retrospect- but at first quite horrifying. (For me at least.) Take a look at the 20's. Amazing era, US was in an amazing economic position- then they fell into the great depression. But you know what? They got out of the great depression.

Society wouldn't collapse, it can't. We're the stabilizing hyperpower in the world, we can't fall. So, we're going to have to consolidate a little bit- not become isolationist, no. That's what we did in the great depression, and WWII happened among other more major reasons. Its the ups and downs of Capitalism, we'll go into a slight dip, then come back out by solving problems, and not overlooking them. 

We won't go into a nuclear war, why? Because of the Ohio Class submarine, and MAD, or Mutually Assured Destruction. Nation's won't destroy each other outright. Noone in power of a size-able nation with a grip on some section of the world are insane. The Russian's aren't/weren't, neither are the Chinese. They may be brutal, but in no way are they insane. Hell, the Soviets thought we were off the wall crazy after the Vietnam war. All of the casualties, and the protests going on, and we pulled through everything just fine.

"Noone can ever rid me of my arsenal of Megadeth, no matter what the peace treaties come to!"

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Avatar done by AlisaLeolfAlexandra.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:25:07 am »
Well, buddy. This is why Capitalism works....-snip-...and we pulled through everything just fine.

Is that some kind of joke post?

On topic, it is not a econimic philosiphy that will save the world, but the enduring human will and determinatoin to live.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:03:18 am by Avor »

Offline Mylo

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:27 am »
^^ Oh, come on...

Just keep on living. What happens happens. As for the zombies, I think Hollywood has brainwashed America into thinking that there is some way in the near future to zombify something more complex than an ant... :P As thrilling or horrifying you may think it to be, there will not be a zombie apocalypse. I don't think society will collapse, but there will be a lot of change in the coming years. There always is; nothing to be sad about. :)

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:45:53 am »
nuclear war might happen (big possibility).

Where are you getting your information from to make you suddenly start to worry about nuclear war at this particular moment? According to the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists at the University of Chicago, which have been famously tracking how close the world is to global nuclear war since 1947, we are further from the possibility of nuclear war than we were as recently as 2009.  While I will be the first to admit that the current amount of nuclear proliferation and nuclear weapon development in the world is still too troubling for comfort, there hasn't been any news or developments as of late to suddenly make things seem any worse than they have been since 2007, and we have even moved one more minute away from "midnight" on the "Doomsday Clock" since then.

We won't go into a nuclear war, why? Because of the Ohio Class submarine, and MAD, or Mutually Assured Destruction. Nation's won't destroy each other outright. No one in power of a size-able nation with a grip on some section of the world are insane. The Russian's aren't/weren't, neither are the Chinese. They may be brutal, but in no way are they insane. Hell, the Soviets thought we were off the wall crazy after the Vietnam war. All of the casualties, and the protests going on, and we pulled through everything just fine.

While the "mutually assured destruction" reasoning my have been fairly sound before 1990,  since nations that are not part of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty such as India, Pakistan, North Korea, and possibly Israel have gained nuclear arms the world isn't just as simple as NATO vs. the Soviet Bloc/Russia anymore.  With nations with deep-seated religious, cultural, and political issues, such as India and Pakistan, each pointing nuclear weapons at one another, nuclear war could conceivably break out without the United States or Russia being a party in it.  How are U.S. SSBNs, which are a deterrent to keep other nation states from attacking the U.S., going to deter India and Pakistan from attacking each other?  In addition, your reasoning that U.S. SSBN's are some kind of cure-all preventative measure against nuclear war also doesn't take into account the possibility of nuclear terrorism, where a rogue group or maybe even an individual not aligned with any particular country or government successfully carries out some form of nuclear attack against the U.S.  In that case, there would be no nation state for a SSBN to retaliate against, making SSBN's essentially a non-factor.

So while I would argue that Victorwolf has no particular reason to suddenly be more immediately concerned about nuclear war than we have been in the last 5-years, at the same time I have to say that Metalhead isn't quite being concerned enough-- there are reasons why the Doomsday Clock is currently set to "6-minutes to midnight," which is closer to midnight than we were during the 20-year period from 1960 to 1980 when the Cold War was still in full-effect.

We're the stabilizing hyperpower in the world, we can't fall. (...) Its the ups and downs of Capitalism, we'll go into a slight dip, then come back out by solving problems, and not overlooking them.

Of course we can fall!  Thinking that the United States is somehow a permanent superpower that is somehow going to be everlasting is nonsense and is not only ignoring history, but ignoring relatively recent history.  Just ask the British about how well their once world-encompassing British Empire, which at its height was the largest empire in world history and was the foremost world superpower for over 100-years, is doing today.  I am by no means predicting that the U.S. will be necessarily falling anytime soon (I am by no means a "Chicken Little" or a fear-monger), but between our nearly $15-trillion in national debt, our overstretched military ground force personnel, the meteoric economic rise of China, and the massive trade deficit between the U.S. and China and I do believe that there are very real reasons for Americans to be concerned in this day and age.  The economic stability of the U.S. and our strength as a world power isn't nearly as unrivaled as it was even as little as a decade ago.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:52:47 am »
Just live and stop worrying so much. Oh, and lay off the television.

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:21 am »
Just live and stop worrying so much. Oh, and lay off the television.

I second this. News is practically designed to make people worry, things always look bad when you single out examples of bad things rather than looking at the overall trends. There was a depressing news story about dozens of kids getting killed by accidentally swallowing magnets in toys but fortunately for me it was run right next to a story about how many thousands of people die of pain killer overdose, and I realized... dozens or less, it's a freak accident and shouldn't change our outlook on toy safety. Thousands of people, that's still nothing. Over 30,000 people die every year in car accidents. I used to think that was a lot, but really getting killed in a car accident is pretty unlikely, so at the very least I'm somewhat tolerant of cars. (Still think better public transportation would be safer.)

Another very important point to keep in mind when watching the news is that it is not a big deal for ten thousand people to die, if it is spread out over the course of 50 years. The newspeople know how to make the numbers sound big.

Offline DreamerHusky

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:04:45 am »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:22:13 pm by DreamerHusky »

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:44:03 pm »
Just think. If this society collapses, that just leaves room for a better society to rise out of the ashes... and then eventually collapse further down the line. All you can really do is just laugh or cry, and personally, I'd rather live my life laughing through it all than a depressed mess. All you can do is your best to get through this life. And make the most of everything that happens. Don't be worried about everything around you because there will be plenty of times where you need to be scared.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 11:15:03 pm »
I think society won't collapse. It will just *Crowd gasps in horror* change, like it always has and will. And if we need a law outlawing someone's life, that should be the first to change.
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 10:19:35 am »
Just think. If this society collapses, that just leaves room for a better society to rise out of the ashes...

This is certainly the way I always think. Though tons of unique information will be lost if this current society collapses (eg, everything on the Internet), we'll probably recover a lot more than we did from Greece (we've got a lot more & more durable books). Plus some of the work we did breeding better crops might last, and other random improvements too.