Author Topic: Are you in the furry closet?  (Read 135423 times)

Offline Traumerei

• Male
Re: Are you in the furry closet?
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2008, 05:29:20 pm »
I only (without reason) tell my friends who I know will understand it... and that number is remarkably low. Don't get me wrong, I'll explain it to anyone who asks.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:34:46 am by Traumerei »
-

Offline Kivva

• The road to success is always under construction.
  • Female
    • Kivva's Den: The Furry Art of Kivva
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2008, 06:50:50 pm »
I don't believe in 'coming out'.

I am who I am, and I behave how and wear what I please. I am courteous, polite, and I never try to impress my beliefs upon others(but I would like to explain why I feel how I do this subject). If I decide to do or say something that would send up a flag that I'm furry, that's fine with me. As long as I'm not hurting anyone, other could really give a care about what else I do or like.

My family and friends all know me as an animal lover, and the fact that I am furry does not mean I have to make sure everyone I know understands the entire scope of the fandom. My family understands that I attend fur cons, but outside that it involves animals and art, they don't know much about them, and they honestly don't seem to care about it.

The thing I think young furs get caught up in is that they want their families to understand them- as we all do! We want to be understood, accepted by our families- that's what families are for!

But making 'coming out' of the furry 'closet' a big thing sends the wrong messege to those we love.

The act of setting up and important meeting to discuss a subject seriously conveys (whether you mean to or not) that something is up, and that sets your family on the alert and probably puts negative thoughts in their minds ("OH NO! What's wrong?!"). Obviously, there are many behaviours that some[/u] not all, furs participate in that many families would object to and possibly be shocked by. 

Whether or not you indulge in those behaviours (or plan to) is NOT their business. And you have to remember, these behaviours are not all strictly unique to the furry fandom. They occur in ALL fandoms, and outside of fandoms as well. If you would perform and 'objectionable' behaviour as a fur, most likely you would perform an 'objectionable' behaviour no matter what.

Furry or not, sexual fetishes (and this is usually the region which most furs are concerned about with their families) are viewed as taboo, and most people are quick to jump the gun if animals are involved in any way.

Your family loves you, and if they know they can trust you to be safe in 'normal' situations, they already know they can trust you in a 'furry' situation. As far a sexual fetishes are concerned, if you don't plan on bringing your family into your bed, why do they need to know what you plan to do in it?

My belief is that as long as you do no harm to yourself or another, do as you please. I don't need to know about it, and neither does your family.

In other situations: where as your sexuality is the main topic, obviously your family needs to know, that being gay, bi or lesbian will mean you may select a mate (or life partner/wife/husband/or multiples of these) that they will not expect. Obviously this sort of thing will have some kind of impact on your family.

So ask yourself, will this really affect your family?

Just my thoughts. I know this won't apply to everyone, but I do think that before one 'comes out' about being a fur, there needs to be a lot of soul searching. WHY? Why do you feel the need to share this?

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:35 pm »
Well said, Kivva.

Offline Epsy

« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2008, 10:01:29 pm »
Well said, Kivva.

I agree. And to add on a little bit to your bit about sexuality;

I used to be a huge naysayer and tell people that your sexuality is your business alone and there really is no reason to tell your family that at all. That it isn't important enough to warrant that, and will cause nothing but trouble to you and your family by telling them that.

Well, I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The want, no, need to tell someone, and be accepted, especially by a family member is HUGE. And the feelings after you have, and they have been accepting, is so wonderful, so incredibly fulfilling. It feels like a gigantic burden has been lifted from your shoulders, and that you couldn't possibly breathe before that, but now you can. It is important, but only should be done if you feel the risk is necessary.

(fetishes are a whole other issue though)

Just my two cents.
Avatar credit goes to Sheeta, thanks!
http://www.textswell.com/read,4206682163599 = Epsy fursona description

Offline Kivva

• The road to success is always under construction.
  • Female
    • Kivva's Den: The Furry Art of Kivva
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2008, 11:55:56 pm »
Well said, Kivva.

I agree. And to add on a little bit to your bit about sexuality;

I used to be a huge naysayer and tell people that your sexuality is your business alone and there really is no reason to tell your family that at all. That it isn't important enough to warrant that, and will cause nothing but trouble to you and your family by telling them that.

Well, I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The want, no, need to tell someone, and be accepted, especially by a family member is HUGE. And the feelings after you have, and they have been accepting, is so wonderful, so incredibly fulfilling. It feels like a gigantic burden has been lifted from your shoulders, and that you couldn't possibly breathe before that, but now you can. It is important, but only should be done if you feel the risk is necessary.

(fetishes are a whole other issue though)

Just my two cents.

Arbutus, Naomi: Thank you (and big hugs, it's nice to be back in the forums <3 Missed you both!)

I agree with you Naomi. Sexuality tends to be a more 'public' topic... we need to go into public to find a mate. Of course, part of that is introducing 'furry' to a person we might be considering to be a mate or lifelong partner.

In that case, I think it's best to talk about it right away... breaking the ice about it isn't too bad. Being an artist, I can just ask someone what their favourite animal is and do them up a little doodle of themselves as that animal. The person's reaction to that tells me how well they could respond to that sort of thing.

Other options exist, though- you can always ask people if they animals in small talk. If you know someone pretty well, you can ask about something you think or know they like: "Hey, you remember the old Ninja turtles cartoon? Who was your favourite character?", etc.

Pets are awesome topic too, you can get an impression of how someone might feel about furry by how they talk about their pets.

Once you know someone really well, you should be able to understand how they might feel, and how open minded they are.

When I first started talking with my current mate, he didn't know much about furries. He knew 'of' them, but didn't look into them much. He did like having a feline "Kerra" character on Everquest (that let me know he was open to something like that). He was kind of skeptical about it... so I took him to FurFright.

He had a blast (face it, furcons are tons of fun) and began thinking of characters he would like to suit as. It blossomed from there.

If you can convince a freind or potential mate to come to local furcon with you, you know that they're open enough to your being furry. And even if they don't enjoy it as much as my mate does, they'll at least get the jist of what you do at fur cons, and will more than likely won't mind you're going to cons and accept your being furry even if they really aren't into it.

My point here is that, many people are open minded to most of the aspects of being furry- the point of being a fur in my belief is simple: Fun! Now who doesn't like to have fun?

Offline wolfnevets

• Male
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2008, 11:51:03 am »

What closet, where closet, who closet? :o

Offline Sabrejack

• He who hesitates is lost.
  • Male
    • IRL me and Art
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2008, 12:24:58 am »
 :orbunny:
So I am TOTALLY in with the coats...and I don't mean on the bed at Christmas...my mate does not even know, goddess forbid anyone at work. (geeesh, oh Hell no!"
I'm really getting into the roll play aspect however. I've had some totally outrageous encounters with other furs online ,who are totally into it, and its quite addictive.
I'm talking veeeery ADULT. So yes, I'm a noob, and I'm sure the shine will fade soon...but I hope not, this is after all my midlife crisis solution. (Hey, its cheaper than a BMW, and I don't have to insure it.)
So I will endure the self imposed exile for a while longer...
One Love, Sabrejack
if you hear the call of the wild, don't take a message.

Offline Alysian Bluehoof

• *i'm back!*
  • Male
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2008, 12:13:38 am »
this used to be a big issue for me, but i just went and put 'proud to be a furry' pins, phipaws, and other stuff like that on many of my belongings, and if someone asks, "i have a strong affinity for anthropomorphic animals and the culture associated around them. an example? tony the tiger is one :)"- or something to that effect. get it out of the way before hand. then, if i meet someone who down the road would have a problem with that, i dont have to waste my time with them.
i got explaining it to my family out of the way a while ago too... i do some furry art in my spare time and pinned it up in my room (completely clean of course). now on gift-giving occasions my gifts are often associated with the fandom in one way or another, specificly with my fursona.
mah fur code---FEZ3adw A C D++ H++ M- P++ R+ T++ W- Z Sm S++ RLTI a- c++ d++ e+ f++ i+ j p++ sm s+++

i'm having avie issues... if anyone wanted to PM me to help that would be nice :) you guys changed how it worked while i was gone! :O

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:49 am »
Nice post Kivva.

I'm definitely still in the closet (If anyone were to ask me, Further Confusion 2008 was a video game convention), but I am taking steps on coming out. My family (re: parents. I've got a slightly younger brother who may or may not know, and may or may not care) don't know, and I've really got no intention of letting them know. Just don't really want to deal with that. Apart from that, while I actively broadcast it on whatever web forum I'm on, my close friends don't know. I do wear my Furry shirts from time to time (my Furry Pride one and my FC 2008 one), and get the occasional question at school, but for the most part my mates still don't know (partly because most of them have no idea what a Furry is, and have never heard of it. It's beginning to creep into my Facebook page, though, so it's only a matter of time before they know more). Two people I know at school know, but that's it (and they don't really care).

I'm going off to college next year, and once there I figure (since I'll be in a new surrounding with new people) I'll be much more open about it there. Probably wear my tail once I get it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:40:41 am by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline Silicon_Wolf

• There will be a pic here one day
  • Male
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2008, 11:24:46 pm »
I'm sort-of in the same boat as you Relaxing Dragon.  Friends and all, missing the CON thing though.  I would like to go to anthrocon 2009 which is close to my home and by then I'll have my license.  I do plan on telling my close friend, I really interest in his reaction. It guess it will seem sudden to him, and he'll probably think it is just a phase.  As for family I'll avoid it.  Also like Relaxing Dragon, I think I'll show it a bit more when I go to college.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2008, 01:09:01 am »
I got really lucky that the con was so close to my house, I had just gotten my lecense, and my parents were out of town that weekend, so nobody really minded that I was gone all day. I'm not really sure I'll tell my close friends, I'm not too keen on their reactions (or I'll just let it casually slip and go from there. Depends on the mood of the day).

Offline Apollo

• Male
    • Abstract Gender
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2008, 01:22:35 am »
I dont have any really close close friends right now, so I have no one to really care. I'd tell my dog (the real Apollo) but I dont think he'd care. My parents probably wouldn't care. They know I'm into weird crap (Anime, to them, is weird) And so this probably wouldn't surprise them. Heck, they probably wouldn't care if I told them I was gay (I'm not, just an example).

The cool thing about working at a Petsmart is no one really cares/notices if you do some animal-like stuff. I joked once about the weird look my dog gave me when I had his collar on, the person raised an eyebrow but shrugged it off. Than I showed one of the girls in aquatics the PROPER way dogs kick up dirt, she just got a laugh out of it. So I can get away with it, don't know how they'd respond to the idea of an out 'furry' though. We do photo stuff a couple times a year (next week we have one for the Petsmart birthday bash) and I pondered what people would think of if a fur showed up to have pics with their dogs. I dont have a suit, though, so its impossible anyway. I wonder what the other associates would have thought of me supplying my own suit, heh.

Offline Kyvr

• Male
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:03 pm »
I'm in the same boat as those who don't believe in coming out.

The ones who I care about know what they need to know, but I don't feel the need to broadcast my inner identity to everyone I meet. When a person gets to know me, and likes who they met, that's when I "let them in", and if they're still around, then I know I've made a good friend.

Offline RavenWolf

• 'Ray of Frost' to your FACE
  • Male
    • http://www.ravenwolf.furtopia.org/index.htm
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2008, 11:27:33 pm »
I'm in the closet, like none of my coworkers or family know I'm a fur
“He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man”

- DR. Johnson

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2008, 11:40:27 pm »
I guess I'm in the closet. *sigh*

Offline Irina

• Female
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:11 pm »
Like many others have stated, I don't believe in being in the 'closet'
Being furry is not like a sexuality; it's not like being straight or homosexual.
Anyways, to get to the point, I am not 'in the closet' I told my family and friends
a while ago, and I wear my tail in public. I love being able to express my furriness.
meow (;

Offline Emma

• We sell inconvenient and unsafe products. :D
  • Female
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2008, 02:21:28 pm »
I guess I sort of am, but not really.  My close friends know, and to me, that's all that matters. 

I suppose things may get a little strange when I make my ears and tail and start wearing those, but I'll deal with that when that comes.
Meeeooooooo ow ow owoooooo

Hi, I'm new.  Please be gentle.

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2008, 07:22:03 pm »
Like many others have stated, I don't believe in being in the 'closet'
Being furry is not like a sexuality; it's not like being straight or homosexual.

It is, however, something that people might deliberately hide from people around them in order to avoid possible negative reactions and prejudice, or even just awkward conversations.

If you have trouble sympathizing, perhaps you should count yourself fortunate.

Offline Wolvenspirit

• I am a pirate. I do not need credentials.
  • Male
    • Timber's Photo Gallery
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2008, 07:36:18 am »
Where is this "Furry Closet" and how much must I bribe the bouncer to get in?  ;)

Being furry is an interest and a passion for me.  I'm not weirded out by my own affinity for anthrokind, either, so I don't really have a problem discussing it openly if anyone asks... but at the same time I don't wear it on my sleeve (or my head, or my behind).  I don't feel the need to tell anyone about it or try to conceal it any more than the fact that I enjoy bird watching.  There are many who do not understand it (and why expect them to?) or misunderstand it completely and think it's utterly silly, but I don't make that my problem.  No fur should expect many people to take cartoon animals seriously, and that's why in spite of what we believe to be our true nature most of us have to act relatively 'normal' in our careers, certain social situations, etc.

Also, it is my opinion that some people are too publicly open about their personal lives these days... some things I'd rather just not know about complete strangers, like people posting away in their myspace for the world to see about the great sex they had last night.  I think that's the way many feel about furries.  In this sex-obsessed culture, those who aren't familiar with it see the fur, the collars, the leashes, the man-sized beasts, and are often probably quick to assume it all has to do with some kinky fetishes they'd rather not hear about.  Doesn't matter if it's all 'G' or 'PG,' people are going to react in all different ways because it's different.

More furries need to realize it's a pretty natural reaction to something unusual and shouldn't be so quick to assume they're just a big bullseye for the world to toss verbal darts at.  Most of the public only see the surface of it, and armed with only limited knowledge one tends to make assumptions and rely on the imagination or what rubbish the media has filled up their heads with.  It's up to us to educate and inform rather than hide in fear or defensively bristle our manes and whimper about such ridiculous ideas as "fursecution."

Offline Koryak

• Male
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2008, 04:41:35 pm »
Im still in the furry closet. Neither family or coworkers know.
FCF4a A- C- D H+ M P+ R+ T+++ W-- Z- Sm RLMA a cdw+ d e f h i+ j p++ sm+

Offline Duffman!

• No sense of time...
  • Male
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2008, 05:14:18 pm »
I told Baako, and it turned out he was a furry as well :D. But i havent told my parents, after reading some of the posts in the help section, i became a little bit paranoid  :-[. But im gonna wear a tail to America soonish on mah holidays, so i'll probably have to tell them then  (:.

<--- I IS ARE HAVING DRAGON!!! :D

Knowing your head, is more valuable than knowing your enemy - Me!

Offline Kano

• Shake 'N Bake!
  • Female
    • Artisan Fur
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2008, 01:16:22 pm »
I told my boyfriend and a few friends of mine (two of them are already furries so they we're kind of excited xD) But the rest of my friends treat sites like 4chan like it's a faith so they were all "OMG WHHY?!?! Dx" and I was all "Cuz."

Pets name: Dr. Cox
Adopt your own!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »
Just letting folks know that I've finally fixed the links that were broken in my very first post at the beginning of this thread. If you know of any other good furry resources to add, please let me know and I'll add them. Thanks. :)

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2008, 07:35:54 am »
Just a little update: I have got around to telling a few people, and I found that at my highschool furry is a bit more well known. However, I'm not sure if this will be a good, or a bad thing...
-

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2008, 03:27:47 am »
I went ahead and told my friends... and they had no idea what a Furry was. And they didn't really care that I was one, so they're cool with it (except me wearing a tail, they drew a line with that :-[_