Author Topic: From out of the shrouds  (Read 46780 times)

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
Re: From out of the shrouds
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2010, 10:30:09 pm »
If you had a choice between any cake or pie, which would you take?
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I understand the question right. It seems like you're asking what my favorites among cake and pie are so I'll answer it like that and you can draw your own conclusions. :)

My favorite cake has to be homemade, lots of chocolate, rich and warm. Preferably with a couple layers.

My favorite pie is Pecan.

Out of the two I'll choose cake over pie everytime. Cake is smoother and creamier, or at least how my mom made it it was. Not really dry and you never needed something to drink after having a slice. It was so moist you could eat it with a spoon.

Pie on the other hand, while good, tends to be a bit on the dry side.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »
So what kinds of music do you listen to?

Go into as much detail as you want. :)

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »
Ah music, one of the many languages of the soul. One of my favorite subjects. Though I can't play any instruments. :(

My musical tastes vary and range into many different genres and feilds. I enjoy classical music Laike Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven, to a little bit or country, a few songs by Randy Travis and Garth Brooks and some others though I don't know the song names or artists, I'd have to hear the song first. :P All the way to heavy metal like Korn, metalica, slipknot and 90s alternative bands like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Everclear and some others and I still enjoy new Alt Rock bands, the most recent I've fallen for is Blue October.

So why do I enjoy so many different forms of music?

Well I just do. I can't give a better answer than that. I enjoy the smooth calming sounds of the piano and the ominous tones of organs and other classical instruments like the violin and cello have this effect on me that just sets my spirit flying. Classical music can range in so many different forms. It can be quiet and atmospheric, haunting and ominous, happy and springy, calm, relaxed, sensuous, melodic, etc. There is just no bounds for it. One song can send my mood into throws of joy and another can pull me into deep despair and I love it all for it.

Country music doesn't have too much appeal to me. Most of it is sad and depressing and to be honest many of the artists all sound alike to me. Yes, yes I'm from Texas so I should be used to thick southern drawls in peoples voices right? Well not really. The town I grew up in didn't have very many accents that sound truely "southern" and if you heard my voice you might think I was from the UK. (A tale best told for another day)
About the most southern I get is saying y'all now and then and using the phrase "Over yonder" which really I haven't used in years till I just typed it there. :D

But I digress, country music is fine here and there I like a few songs but not enough to say I like it, I like a few songs that are country, but I'm not a fan of the genre, as such I judge it on a song by song basis and many that I do like simply have nostalgic memories attached to them since I was big on country as a kid but grew out of it.

Hevy metal is an okay genre as well but I don't really have much to say about it, The songs I like either have really good melody or lyrics I enjoy, I'm not too big a fan of thumping bass, screaming and pounding guitar or loud drums.

The 90s were a time of alternative rock and the time I grew up in, Everclear, Counting Crows, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, all these bands and more are ones I'm a big fan of. The music, the lyrics, and in many cases the videos. Though around the 90s is when Mtv really started going downhill and stopped playing music videos and got more into product placement and "Extreme Sports". :P ugh.

But these groups still have a place in my heart and a reserved section in my hard drive, I'll never tire of them and can sing many of the songs by heart.

Now onto some of the things I didn't list previously.

Music from video games: Ah video games. :) Where would I be without them? I dunno but I'd probably be more popular and social and have a good carrer. lol. The music of games is what makes them the most memorable to me. Music pulls you into the experience and gives you a feel for whats going on in the game. To this day I can play the Wily's castle theme from Mega Man 2 and feel pumped up and ready for anything, or even the title music.
Blaster Master has some of the best VG music made on the NES and who doesn't know the Super Mario Bros. theme by heart? In Ecco the Dolphin on the Sega genesis the opening level sets you playing with your dolphin family just before they sucked into the sky by the vortex aliens and you drop back into the sea as this quiet yet ominous music plays. It really sets the feeling that you are well and truely alone and if you let it take you in it can downright terrify you and Doom on the SNES had music that put you in the right mindset for the game: Kill everything in sight!!!
The PS3 game FolkLore is set in Ireland and has many Celtic overtones to it, including the music which fits it all perfectly. To me Video Game music is the perfect genre, I've downloaded more VG music than any other kind.

So my tastes in music are mostly emotional ones, I like music that can calm me and make me relaxed, or pump me up and get me ready for a work out, or bring back nostalgic memories that bring a tear to my eye.

Oh and about Blue October, I like them because of the lyrics in their songs, the subject material of their songs can be all over the place at times ranging from an obsessive man jealous of his ex's new man, describing a stay in a mental care facility, being cheerful and happy talking about keeping your spirits up when life get hard, getting over a girlfriend, to starting a new relationship. Oh and almost all of their songs include the fiddle (AKA violin) It also doesn't hurt them that they orriginated in Houston, not too far from my hometown. :)

There's other things I like musically such as foreign music (russian pop and the french group "Air") but  I think I've talked enough about my tastes in music now.

Any more questions?
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2010, 12:23:57 pm »
Oh and I forgot to mention this before, I'm also a big fan of the blues, mostly Tom Waits but I also enjoy lots of other songs if they have a nice blues-y feel to them.

And Jazz, can't forget Jazz or Bill Cosby will beat me. :D
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:10 pm »
Any more questions?

I've noticed that your sig now lacks the "Ubuntu has been behaving for x days." message.  Is there a story behind that?
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:22 pm »
Not really. Ubuntu has been working well for me for awhile now and I wasn't doing well at keeping the days updated well. So I took it down.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »
Gah! I'm bored and the forum has been quiet today! Somebody ask me questions! Please!  :goldhowl:
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2010, 10:40:45 pm »
Ok........Who are you rooting for on Sunday for Men's Olympic Hockey: Team USA or Canada?

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2010, 07:27:58 am »
Ok........Who are you rooting for on Sunday for Men's Olympic Hockey: Team USA or Canada?
Olympics? Nah just kidding, I know what the olympics are. I just don't watch them.

I guess I'm rooting for the USA but to be honest it really doesn't matter to me. :-[  The olympics are just something that I find way too boring to watch. I do however click google's banner to see just how far ahead the US is in terms of medals.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:17 am »
Why do you have a random waffle in your sig?
Can I eat it? :D

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2010, 08:59:50 pm »
Why do you have a random waffle in your sig?
Can I eat it? :D

What happened to the random waffle in your sig?
Why can't I eat it?

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
The random waffle thing was just for giggles. I found a picture of a waffle on the net and I thought It'd be funny to post a link to it in my sig. Really I just now noticed that someone had noticed it earlier, sorry Avan, I wasn't ignoring your question, I'm just not very observant of my own thread at times. :-[

But yeah, it had no purpose, it was just a random waffle to make make folk think "Huh?" and possibly try to make a Metal Gear style "?" pop up over their heads. :D

As for where it's gone now.... Blame the ungulates, one of them probably ate it. There isn't any meat in a waffle after all.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2010, 11:24:51 pm »
I luv waffles. :) *noms*

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2010, 07:12:22 am »
 :(
You're making me hungry for foods I can't chew right now!
Once I can chew again, I intend to have a waffle like that.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:29 pm »
Questions questions, who has a question?
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2010, 03:05:55 am »
*looks at Shim*  Hmmmmm, there seems to be a trend. I hope it catches on. :)
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:34 am »
Well hey, at least I got your approval first!

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2010, 03:10:05 pm »
Figured I'd talk about this in my thread.

Just now when you mentioned the Area 51 book you seem to have lumped UFOs in with "Nonsense crap". Can we take it from this statement that you don't believe in the existence of extraterestrial visitors?

I am open to the "possibility" of aliens, alien visitation, etc., etc. But I absolutely will not believe every piece of crap nonsense spewed forth by crackpots and other weirdos.  :P Every time somebody says they saw a UFO or described something else, then I'd like to see proof. If you don't have proof, then you're just blowing smoke.  :P
Like Kobuk in this quote I'm open to the possibility of extraterrestrial life and intelligence, I'm skeptical about visitations given the limits of science and physics but I hope to be proven wrong. Like Kobuk says, if you want to be taken seriously you need proof.

The late Carl Sagan once said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". I don't believe in the claims of abductions but I do hold hope for the possibility of alien visitations to our planet, but I'm not going to say I wholy believe that 'aliens are among us' and I'm not going to believe it till evidence that can withstand the most vigorous scrutiny is presented.

I see many UFO believers talk down about "naysayers" and "debunkers" but really IMO those people are simply following true scientific principal of scrutinizing everything. The scientific process involves finding the flaws and weaknesses in a theory and picking it apart untill it can't hold up anymore. If a hypothesis or theory or claim can withstand years of meticulous scrutiny under non-believing eyes, only then does it start to become accepted.

Science is a pursuit of truth and to find the truth in something you have to look for what is really there, not what you want to be there. If a UFO picture can be simulated by a pie pan on a string then it may as well be a pie pan on a string.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2010, 05:35:14 pm »
Update time boys and girls!

So the company I work for, Dollar General, is sending me away to Paris come the start of next week. Oh, thats Paris Texas, not the place in France. I'll be working at a new store stoking for ten hours a day for 4 days to get the place ready to open for business. The company is paying for my hotel room and transportation out there. I'm kinda excited, I've never been to Paris Tx so if any furs there in the area wanna meet up and say Hi to the Mod Shroud let me know in a PM and I'll try to work out some kind of contact thing so we can all get together and meet.

I'll do my best to get some piccies for everyone so keep an eye on this thread in that time.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2010, 06:12:42 pm »

So the company I work for, Dollar General, is sending me away to Paris come the start of next week. Oh, thats Paris Texas, not the place in France.

Yah, I was confused for about a second there.  :D Well, have fun and I hope the hotel isn't too sleazy!  :D
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:15 pm »
:P *sigh*

The trip is off. They called and said nevermind, they have all the help they need. Sucks big too because I was really looking forward to getting the extra work, extra time, extra pay and best of all seeing a new town. Okay well not new per se, but I've never been there and I was looking forward to the chance to see it. Its really upsetting to get my hopes up like that then just say "Oh hang on, we don't need you after all."
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:10 pm »
*hugs* D=

That is harsh x_x
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:18 pm »
*hugs*

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »
Eh... if it makes you feel better youre not missing anything great. When I was truck driving I used to deliver to Texas a lot... Ive been to Paris,TX a couple times.  Its nothing you need to put on your must see list.  I know you said you were in the Texarkana area... I used to deliver there all the time... Texarkana, Shreveport, LA, New Boston, TX, Broken Bow, OK... I always liked when they gave me that route... no heavy traffic... plenty of parking, and it wasnt New Jersey.
Dont fursecute me yo!