Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 4578 times)

Offline HazardJackal

Quick Question
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:19 am »
What's the character limit for a single post?  I don't want my laptop to burst into flames and explode after making too large a post...

Offline SkyFire

• Species: Pheonus Vulneras
  • The Sky is grey, for my Rose did fade away.
  • Male
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:35:42 am »
10000, I think.
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:46 am »
If you plan to write such a large post,  perhaps it would be best to write it in a word processor and safe it as you go rather than trying to write the whole thing on the site all at once.

I don't know what the character limit is.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:34:23 am »
--If-- it is 10,000 words, then as an example, the entire of the palaeontology page on Wikipedia, including references, is 12,000. In any case, I highly doubt you are going to hit it with an RP post :p

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:44:57 am »
If you plan to write such a large post,  perhaps it would be best to write it in a word processor and safe it as you go rather than trying to write the whole thing on the site all at once.
Pfft, come on, you'd be daft to think i'd write a 15000 word post in one sitting! :D

Most all my RP posts are written on MS Word, unless it's a quick comment in the OOC threads.  I have at least 60 separate documents for my various RPs, RP related projects; even got some OLD old things that go back two or more years, right when i starting RPing for the first time...  I SHOULD start using more of my time to work on the more "local" projects; that is to say, RPs outside of the forums, in person, but i always wind up doing this instead.  I'll stop now before i REALLY get rambling on about the good ol days (about a year and a half ago)... so yeah.  That's all i got to say, for now.

EDIT:  No, really, the reference sheet i plan on posting is going to be at least 15000 words. (Currently 40 pages, 9point font, widened margins... and it's still a pain to navigate.) I nearly got to (14XXX?) words, but i'm switching to a new, even more advanced format, which will make this one seriously big chunk of information.  I think i'll do a separate post for each category, so that might be four consecutive posts.  I'm hoping that it won't be a problem.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:47:12 am by Trenyth »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:59:20 am »
As a former Admin, I think I remember the character limit being 50,000.

BUT.........with whatever you are going to write/post, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you break it down into smaller posts instead of writing one huge gigantic post.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:55 pm »
It's not a matter of being able to type it all in one sitting so muh as accidentally losing that much work if your connection times out when you click post.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »
...The character limit's no less than 14,600 (and as Kobuk suggests, it's probably even higher than that).  You're *very*, very unlikely to ever hit it, short of copy/pasting the text of "War and Peace" into the text box.

It's not a matter of being able to type it all in one sitting so muh as accidentally losing that much work if your connection times out when you click post.

^ I second this a hundred thousand times.  You should also use an editor that autosaves.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 05:08:30 pm »
BUT.........with whatever you are going to write/post, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you break it down into smaller posts instead of writing one huge gigantic post.

I think i'll do a separate post for each category, so that might be four consecutive posts.

Got it covered.

^ I second this a hundred thousand times.  You should also use an editor that autosaves.

Yep, i use MS word, save about every five minutes, and every week or so i copy the newest versions of the documents onto a USB drive/chip/thing.  So far i've yet to lose a single document entirely, cause i keep them backed up on a separate... thing (i don't know the correct terms for any of these things. :P )

Anyways, thank you guys for the help! :)