Author Topic: FTL: Faster Than Light  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
FTL: Faster Than Light
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:21:50 am »
great game if you haven;t played it, 10/10 would recommend. its cheap too.

anyway if you didn't know it was recently updated with a new, free expansion pack ( me loves it) and on top of that i found this awesome cover of the theme w/ free download.

fee free to discuss the game now

cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_pyWO_7fw

nerd^3 plays w/ update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3fXyb_gMPU

Scott manly plays w/ update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilrgQSo1Nmo
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Remley Bishop

• Species: Hooded Rat
  • Male
Re: FTL: Faster Than Light
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »
FTL is a very hard and very excellent game.  There are not a lot of games that I will play compulsively again and again, building myself up only to be torn down at the least expected moment; this one I do so an have a blast each time.

Offline Aryd

• Species: Rainbow Snake (Farancia erytrogramma)
  • Mediocre at best.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »
It's very good to play on roadtrips, in my opinion, but tend to get bored with it when I have other options available. Still, very good game!
GameMaster Status!

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:37:01 pm »
I like this game a lot. I think it's great that it's short enough I can usually complete it (or die) in one sitting. But it has enough variability to keep me coming back.

Granted, its sometimes horribly unfair. But its short enough that doesn't bother me too much.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:44 pm »
I play this game occasionally myself; I rather enjoy it, and find it to have excellent replay value.  A few random things relating to intermediate/advanced play:

• If you can manage to kill off all of the crew without destroying the ship, you'll almost always get a larger resource drop than you would have had you just blown the ship up.  This doesn't work on the crewless AI ships, though, and while it might seem like a good idea at first, you shouldn't try doing this on the Rebel flagship (if the FTL wiki is to be believed, the ship will become an AI ship and continue fighting you).  Depending on the RNG result, you could get either a very large fuel reward, a ship weapon, or a crew member, and the latter two are almost always useful boons.

In order to target crew members, you'll need to be able to see them, and will therefore need either an upgraded Sensors system, an extra crew member to man the Sensors system, a Slug crew member, or the augment that shows enemy crew locations within the ship (the latter two are especially useful, since they continue to function when battling in a nebula).  The ways in which you can target crew include fire beam weapons/drones, anti-bio beams, and either ion weapons or hull breaching missiles targeted on the O2 room (make sure you can survive a long battle before trying the latter method; a larger resource drop isn't worth it if you let your hull get decimated while pursuing it).  Note that if the enemy ship has a clone bay, the ship is still considered to have crew if the clone bay is actively reviving crew members, even if there are no living crew; you have to disable or damage that system to end the battle.  Also note that anytime a fire deals the last point of damage that a system can sustain, the ship's hull will take 1 damage; if you're not careful, you can destroy a ship by fire due to this.

• Deliberately venting the air of your ship can be a very useful tactic in certain circumstances.  It's one of the easiest ways (not to mention safest, and perhaps even fastest) to put out fires.  Just move your crew out of burning rooms temporarily so that they don't suffocate; once the fire's out, you can close the exterior door you opened and then open the interior doors between the vented and the unvented rooms so that the resulting air transference will assist your ship's O2 system in making the rooms breathable again.

If you have an upgraded door system (or a spare crew member to man the door system), you can rapidly damage the enemy crew without having your own crew take any damage whatsoever.  If your invaders came onto your ship through a crew teleporter, it's unlikely (though not impossible) that they'll die before being teleported back, but they'll be very close to death once they do get back.  This should make it relatively easy to kill those crew members on their ship, assuming they don't heal via a Medbay first.

• Different ship defenses have different strengths and weakness with respect to preventing damage to your ship.  For instance, shields are completely worthless in stopping missiles and bombs, whereas engines are completely worthless in stopping beam weaponry; additionally, neither shields nor engines protect against crew invasion.  Your ship's defense should be varied as well as strong; otherwise, you'll eventually face an enemy whose weapons counter your defenses, and you'll take a lot of hull damage if not die.

While shields are useful, the utility of engines should not be underestimated.  Over the course of time and over the span of individual weapon vollies, they reduce ship/shield damage against any weapon type except for beam weaponry, and by reducing shield damage, they also increase the chance that your shields will successfully block a beam weapon.  If you can get your hands on one, a Defense drone is also useful; they're one of the few forms of defenses that will consistently defend against missiles (your engines will at best protect you from slightly more than half of the missile damage you receive).  With a Defense drone, you'll only be hit by a missile if two come in succession or if something hits your drone.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!