Author Topic: Mojang/Minecraft sold to microsoft  (Read 2518 times)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Mojang/Minecraft sold to microsoft
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:52:50 am »
sadly mojang/minecraft has been sold out to microsoft. to me it's just pretty sad because minecraft was an example of how big indie games can get. also i am a little disappointed about notch selling it.... did he even think about the community that makes a living of minecraft (youtube videos) where microsoft can easily change that and take some of that money. im having a hard time considering if notch has just became greedy (2.5 billion for mojang) or if he just didnt like the fact that he was in charge with a pretty large company. even if he didnt like being in change of a large company and didnt really like effecting the world to the extent that he did, he has still changed many things and people will remember him even if he doesnt want to be known that much.

for ex:
 when i think about my past one of the things that i see having a large impact on my personality and experiences is what i went through in minecraft, and i see/saw (depends on why he sold out) notch as a person to look up to in the indie community. so notch creating minecraft was one of thing things that effected my life the most and i will remember that.

video if you want to know more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lA-fPovAJ8

just wondering what you think about what may happen to minecraft, and what your views are on them selling out?

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Mojang/Minecraft sold to microsoft
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:12:43 am »
From their blog on why Minecraft was sold:
As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He’s decided that he doesn’t want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he’s made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang. He’ll continue to do cool stuff though. Don’t worry about that.

Which I think is perfectly reasonable. He did a thing. It made it big. It stopped him from doing other things. He'll still be the person who created it and brought joy to a lot of people. It is -still- an example of how an originally Indie game can make it big. But no one can expect or demand of him to spend the rest of his life doing one thing if it has stopped making -him- happy.

As for them selling it to Microsoft, Mojang clearly thought that of all the potential buyers, they were going to be what was best for the continued development of the game. If we made Minecraft, we might do things differently, but we don't. All we can really do is trust that Notch didn't make the decision offhandedly and put thought into it.

Here is the blog post, for further reading.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:13 am »
pretty sure only very few people wouldn't have taken an offer like that.  A true offer of a lifetime.  Thing is,  if a company like microsoft acquires another company,  it's because they want to invest in it's software.  From what i hear minecraft has certainly lost it's indie feel by now,  so it would seem to have very little to lose at this point.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:45:07 am »
He was waiting for the right buyer and clearly he though Microsoft was the best buyer to keep Minecraft going. There's no point complaining about things that haven't happened and I beet Mojang would fight any changes to the game which may included added cost. The game itself is a massive money maker already. While $2.5B is a lot for essentially one game (Scrolls isn't that big) and some talent MS has essentially got themselves a money printing machine.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:18 am »
Goodbye all youtube players, The Diamond Minecart has crumbled, Bashur has been bashed, all of them had a good run.
Mate of WereCat

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:57 pm »
Thing is,  if a company like microsoft acquires another company,  it's because they want to invest in it's software.

R.I.P. Rareware in peace.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »
Goodbye all youtube players, The Diamond Minecart has crumbled, Bashur has been bashed, all of them had a good run.
I'm confused... why would this even happen?  I mean, stuff like this promotes the game, right?

(Keep in mind i have built maybe four things in Minecraft, ever.  I don't own the game.)

Offline ColonelMustang

• Species: Dire-Wolf
  • The Two Fisted Protein Junkie
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:59 pm »
Talk is Microsoft plans on 'branding' minecraft in their own way with a Halo Minecraft (Big surprise) More if anything Microsoft bought out Minecraft to up their standing in the gaming community against Sony. (One of my good friends just got back from the PAX conference in Anaheim, and Microsoft really seemed to be planning on using it as a pawn against Sony)
Sarzon! <-- inside joke

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 02:25:26 pm »
"Thank you for turning 'Minecraft' into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can't be responsible for something this big,"
From: http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-agrees-to-acquire-creator-of-minecraft-1410786190

Welp, i sure as heck don't blame him; fans are annoying.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:18:28 am »
i just hope that microsoft doesnt do anything stupid with it. also i hope that they work on the PC version far more than on the xbox because the xbox minecraft is just building up money due to the stupid skin packs and not being able to make your own.

Offline Furenzied

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »
I'm confused... why would this even happen?  I mean, stuff like this promotes the game, right?

(Keep in mind i have built maybe four things in Minecraft, ever.  I don't own the game.)

Copyright infringement probably. They copyright everything. Regardless if it does promote the game many of them monetise their videos or just do it for fun on the side when possible. Eitger way if they do (and probably will) copyright many things about the game if not all of it then they effectively killed many notable minecraft channels.
Mate of WereCat

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:58:53 am »
microsoft did try to do that with halo. they didnt want any videos on the internet that had halo content or had halo mentioned in it because they wanted to be the only ones who can post those videos.

Offline the lone shadow wolf

• Species: eurasion wolf with a little silver fox
  • dont mind me just telecomuting from the darkness
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 12:19:13 am »
they better not make it into another one of there big scamming monopoly's
that they always do >:(
Xbox one - near faulty
halo series - just milking it like a prized heifer

but in a few years if they continue this path
they will lose people and there world will crumble :goldpissed:

... but otherwise really bummed out  :'(
I will see you all soon
in the future :goldgrin:

if you wish to find me elsewere look here
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theloneshadowwolf/

check out my latest art here V
http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-techniques-tutorials/the-lone-shadow-wolf-will-improve!/50/

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:51 pm »
Microsoft has bought 3 games I like now (Halo, Freelancer and now Minecraft)

Offline biubiubiu

• Male
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:32 pm »
was an example of how big indie games can get.

2.5 BILLION is pretty huge.

Offline Furenzied

• Male
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 12:33:22 pm »
microsoft did try to do that with halo. they didnt want any videos on the internet that had halo content or had halo mentioned in it because they wanted to be the only ones who can post those videos.

Seems kind of like bad business pratice to completely shut off the public knowledge in that way, where it only can come from them showing only the good bits to entice people. Makes more money (maybe but not in my opinion) that way, but letting people know the faults as well will lead to less dissatisfied customers from seeing actual gameplay and knowing what they're getting fir themselves. Most of the games I get run this way simply because I don't believe/ trust in advertising through restriction.
Mate of WereCat

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 02:46:44 pm »
RIP in Peace, Rareware.

Offline xracecar

• Species: Umbreon
  • ^ I'm totally original
  • Male
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:41 pm »
Microsoft is going to be like the one super corporation that'll crush others, and shut down their content. Lets hope they don't copyright games because we can't make anymore of them if they do.
"I'm hungry,"
"Dude! You just ate lunch!"

"When in doubt, C4!" -Jaime Hyneman

FCW2adrw A-- C- D? H M? P R++ T+++ W Z? Sm? RL-* a- cmn++++ d++ e- f-- h+ iw++ j+ p sm--

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:20 pm »
Microsoft is going to be like the one super corporation that'll crush others, and shut down their content. Lets hope they don't copyright games because we can't make anymore of them if they do.
What is this supposed to mean exactly?  Cause if you're saying what i think you are... that's like trying to copyright sandwiches. :D

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 06:39:26 pm »
What is this supposed to mean exactly?  Cause if you're saying what i think you are... that's like trying to copyright sandwiches. :D
We must copyright all the sandwiches :D

Offline xracecar

• Species: Umbreon
  • ^ I'm totally original
  • Male
    • Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 08:34:12 pm »
It means the word 'games' and making games would be illegal if we didn't consult with Microsoft.
"I'm hungry,"
"Dude! You just ate lunch!"

"When in doubt, C4!" -Jaime Hyneman

FCW2adrw A-- C- D? H M? P R++ T+++ W Z? Sm? RL-* a- cmn++++ d++ e- f-- h+ iw++ j+ p sm--