Author Topic: Fursuit cooling ideas.  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Fursuit cooling ideas.
« on: August 02, 2015, 12:34:35 pm »
Thought I would start a thread about keeping cool in a fursuit. I know there are many good
ideas scattered in other threads, but perhaps others can post cooling ideas here as well.

I don't have any real experience with making or cooling a suit. But here are a few ideas I feel
should or might be helpful.

I am sure others have incorporated most of them, but it doesn't hurt to see them again.

Install a fan in the top of the head. Small computer fans are quiet lightwieght and efficient.  Then
you can put a colored screen over it. Perhaps some loose fur to hide it if needed.

Keep the head lightweight. Wire under structure can make it light and strong.
Use fine netting or screen in the mouth for good air flow and seeing. Same
for eyes if it doesn't detract from the fursuit appearance.

Use colored netting under the arms, tail, neck, and anywhere else it won't be noticable.
Under clothing should be dark or a similar color of the fur so it won't really show through
the netting.

Netted flaps in discreet areas should help too.

A loose suit fit should allow more air to move. If you need padding use something that won't
block air circulation where possible.

I am sure there are many more good ideas. Post if you like.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: Fursuit cooling ideas.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 03:52:57 pm »
if you dont mind wearing any extra clothing you could also buy a coolant vest. not sure what the prices are but iv seen some cosplayers use them to help keep them from overheating.

this is highly unlikely for anyone to try but just for the lols... if you just want to be the cool furry in town you could purchase a mini AC (or liquid cooling?) unit and the coolant suit that comes with it. yes they are used for people who wear EOD suits but whats stopping you (besides budget) from using it for a fursuit.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:56:04 am »
-Under Armor (shorts and tank top) wick sweat away from the suit
-Mesh screens with wide openings in the eyes, mouth and even the back of the neck help
-If there is a way to install a Camelbak-like straw/pouch for water consumption in the suit, that would be really helpful (I think this is a coolant vest that Gray suggested??)
-Light padding or resin (no furniture foam) inside the suit
-Partial suits work well for people like me who overheat easily in a fullsuit (just head, tail and paws)

Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Kubra

• Species: Wolf/Fox Cross
  • Free Hugs!
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:20:04 am »
my fiance and I got these portable rechargeable fans from home depot (ryobii makes em). He or whomever is my handler will be carrying one around in a bag that has water, extra fan battery, granola (I have hypoglycemia), repair kit, and testing supplies. Plus the fans should be handy at home and at cons if any drying of the suit is needed

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:56:13 am »
I had an Idea awhile back of using a modified version of the liquid cooling jackets NASA used in the 1970's in their space suits.
basically a vest and shorts woven from tubing, with liquid circulating through it. From there it's a matter running it out of the suit, through a heatsink connected to the cold side of a peltier module, with the hot side connected to another smaller heatsink and a fan. It could fit in a place as small as a lunchbox, but I have yet to build and test it.
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 11:26:24 am »
I had an Idea awhile back of using a modified version of the liquid cooling jackets NASA used in the 1970's in their space suits.
basically a vest and shorts woven from tubing, with liquid circulating through it. From there it's a matter running it out of the suit, through a heatsink connected to the cold side of a peltier module, with the hot side connected to another smaller heatsink and a fan. It could fit in a place as small as a lunchbox, but I have yet to build and test it.

Is it this you are thinking of:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/26/7e/ca/267eca7efea9e3316a861957e96dbaa1.jpg
.........or was it this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Cooling_and_Ventilation_Garment

IMO, I've often found that the best solutions are often the simplest.
Take regular breaks.
Drink plenty of fluids (Water and/or Gatorade) .
Moderate your time in fursuit. Don't over exert yourself.
Have a handler to watch/help you.

I'm not saying that cooling vests or fans or other cooling methods can't help people or shouldn't be used. They can. But the responsibility for staying cool is all on the performer. Don't let the "gadgets" do all the work for you. A good fursuit performer will know his/her limits and when to take a break and so forth. Technology can still be good and useful, but it's a poor substitute for some things. Cooling vests and other apparatus are nice, but some styles seem too big, bulky, or cumbersome to me. I don't want to be wearing or carrying extra "luggage" so to speak.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:37:25 am »

Is it this you are thinking of:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/26/7e/ca/267eca7efea9e3316a861957e96dbaa1.jpg
.........or was it this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Cooling_and_Ventilation_Garment

IMO, I've often found that the best solutions are often the simplest.
Take regular breaks.
Drink plenty of fluids (Water and/or Gatorade) .
Moderate your time in fursuit. Don't over exert yourself.
Have a handler to watch/help you.

I'm not saying that cooling vests or fans or other cooling methods can't help people or shouldn't be used. They can. But the responsibility for staying cool is all on the performer. Don't let the "gadgets" do all the work for you. A good fursuit performer will know his/her limits and when to take a break and so forth. Technology can still be good and useful, but it's a poor substitute for some things. Cooling vests and other apparatus are nice, but some styles seem too big, bulky, or cumbersome to me. I don't want to be wearing or carrying extra "luggage" so to speak.

More something in between the two, more coverage and tubing than the first, but less than the second
I think this is a great place for technology to intervene, humans just kinda suck at getting rid of heat, and for some of us that's nore dangerous than others
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline sight arctic

• Species: arctic wolf (human)
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 08:27:10 am »
try a ice pack under a collar
it will cool you and will look like a shock collar (:
i'd rather die on paws than live on feet