Author Topic: S3E012 " Games Ponies Play "  (Read 2341 times)

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
S3E012 " Games Ponies Play "
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:52:59 pm »
Main Six!  :D
(This episode and Just for Sidekicks takes place simultaneously, with the former focusing on Twilight and her friends welcoming the Equestria Games)

io9 Exclusive Clip from Games Ponies Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lqHaoAnPCA

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Season 3, Episode 12 - Games Ponies Play - 1080p HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4GJ114kPuTQ

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:17:49 pm by NeoFur »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: S3E012 " Games Ponies Play "
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
Just got back from watching this one.

I like how they made it have the continuity of overlapping with the last episode. That was a neat little thing (which I actually forgot about until the end of the episode, since I was late and missed the short pre-song episode intro).

The plot was a bit trite, but they kept it entertaining. Decent episode overall.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:16:38 am »
I liked the way it overlapped with the last episode, too.

I had real problems, however, with the conclusion.  It made no sense.  The judge declared that:

"I just finished hearing about how this pony was just treated to the warmest, funnest, most fabulous reception she ever had, courtesy of these fine ponies right here, which in my expert opinion amounts to the first ever unvarnished, unrehearsed, and unbiased appraisal of a potential host of the Equestria games."

Except, she'd just heard Rainbow Dash admit that they'd given their welcome to the wrong pony, meaning that the "warmest, funnest, most fabulous reception" was anything but unrehearsed.  They had, in fact, been rehearsing it on the train.  There would have been easy ways to fix this -- either don't have Rainbow Dash make that admission or have the judge simply decide that she'll take the other pony's word for how great the planned welcome was.  Regardless of the problem with the end, I found it kind of uncomfortable watching the main characters make such a stupid, obvious mistake and then have it drag on for so long throughout the episode.  I did really enjoy the pair of jokes where Pinkie Pie screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO!", and I really liked how the first one set the viewer up for the second one.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:54 am »
I liked the way it overlapped with the last episode, too.

I had real problems, however, with the conclusion.  It made no sense.  The judge declared that:

"I just finished hearing about how this pony was just treated to the warmest, funnest, most fabulous reception she ever had, courtesy of these fine ponies right here, which in my expert opinion amounts to the first ever unvarnished, unrehearsed, and unbiased appraisal of a potential host of the Equestria games."

Except, she'd just heard Rainbow Dash admit that they'd given their welcome to the wrong pony, meaning that the "warmest, funnest, most fabulous reception" was anything but unrehearsed.  They had, in fact, been rehearsing it on the train.  There would have been easy ways to fix this -- either don't have Rainbow Dash make that admission or have the judge simply decide that she'll take the other pony's word for how great the planned welcome was.  Regardless of the problem with the end, I found it kind of uncomfortable watching the main characters make such a stupid, obvious mistake and then have it drag on for so long throughout the episode.  I did really enjoy the pair of jokes where Pinkie Pie screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO!", and I really liked how the first one set the viewer up for the second one.

The welcoming may have been rehearsed, but the appraisal by the pony they mistakenly gave it to was not.

It threw me off at first, too. But I think the thing that gets me about it more than that, was that it appeared that they interrupted that glowing review of the welcome right as it was just getting started. There wasn't really any impression given that any time had passed between the other pony starting to talk about it, and when they came in and mentioned Cadence's name.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:24:56 am »
The welcoming may have been rehearsed, but the appraisal by the pony they mistakenly gave it to was not.

I thought about that, but it only fixes it if the judge's concerns were about her own ability to be a fair judge.  I guess that you could claim that's what she was saying...  But, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a character perspective.  So, it ends up being logically flawed pretty much no matter how you read it.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly