Author Topic: How do you like to design your fursuit?  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
How do you like to design your fursuit?
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »
Exactly as the thread title says. How do you like to design your fursuit?
* Do you plan, list, and draw on paper?
* Use a graphics program on the comp?
* Look at fursuit picture galleries and "borrow" different design elements?
* You don't have a "plan", but just make it up as you go.  :D
* Use a template as shown here: http://forums.furtopia.org/fursuits-and-plushies/need-fursuit-character-reference-sheet-read-here/
* Other option?

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: How do you like to design your fursuit?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »
i would most likely use a ref-sheet. and now that i think of it i may make a 3d model once i learn how ^^

but i don't plan on making/buying one soon

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:42:42 pm »
If I was commissioning a fursuit, I'd like to have a good reference sheet, same as I'd use for commissioning an art piece. At least two views (front and back), maybe a side view and detail shots if needed. I think most builders need a reference sheet to make you one, I haven't run into anyone yet who does fursuits just based off of a text reference/description.

If I was making my own fursuit, I'd just have some sort of rough sketch down, throw some quick color on it, and then see how that works. I somehow get the feeling that if I was making a head I'd just take a look at what fur colors I had available and do the actual patterning on the head base itself based on how I was feeling at that particular moment :P

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:06 am »
Drawing and planning on paper.

When I started making Cause I took both front and side mugshots of myself. Printed them out in black and white with a 40% to 50% reduced opacity. Then started drawing over these. His clothing is designed the same way. Taking photos of the garment. Modifying the coat or jacket on paper. The garment is then modified. Even the stuff that has to be made by hand all starts out on paper first.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:44:36 pm »
At the time I was making my own fursuit, I looked at a lot of completed fursuits on the Internet to see what I wanted to go for.  Design-wise, it was fairly easy, considering the fact that my fursona is just a white arctic fox.  :P