Author Topic: MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion Phread  (Read 57081 times)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion Phread
« Reply #600 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:02 pm »
These episodes stand up surprisingly well to theatrical re-interpretation.

I lol'ed. :D
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #601 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:44 pm »
Now she's moved on to re-enacting the entirety of "The Secret of My Excess" with a plastic Siberian tiger playing the part of Spike.  These episodes stand up surprisingly well to theatrical re-interpretation.

By a four year old, no less :D! That's awesome!

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #602 on: December 15, 2011, 06:06:07 am »
All you people with your large purple areas on that test. Apparently I have no kindness or honesty in me at all xD No Applejact traits or Fluttershy, and no surprise.

On the quizzer quiz, I got Rarity, and according to the MBTi pony chart I'm applebloom. erk.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:08:35 am by Saloonka »

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #603 on: January 05, 2012, 01:43:09 am »
My daughter got the main six ponies for Khristmas last week, and today she received a late Khristmas present from a friend -- the glitter-winged Rarity.  Right now, she's playing with her ponies, re-imagining the history of Equestria.  Apparently, the glitter-winged Rarity was the first pony and created all the other ponies, one at a time, beginning with Applejack.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #604 on: January 05, 2012, 01:49:40 am »
My daughter got the main six ponies for Khristmas last week, and today she received a late Khristmas present from a friend -- the glitter-winged Rarity.  Right now, she's playing with her ponies, re-imagining the history of Equestria.  Apparently, the glitter-winged Rarity was the first pony and created all the other ponies, one at a time, beginning with Applejack.
That is because Applejack is best pony.
Your daughter has my eternal respect for catching this so early.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #605 on: January 05, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #606 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:34 pm »
All you people with your large purple areas on that test. Apparently I have no kindness or honesty in me at all xD No Applejact traits or Fluttershy, and no surprise.

On the quizzer quiz, I got Rarity, and according to the MBTi pony chart I'm applebloom. erk.
Every time I do one of those pony personality tests, I end up as Twilight. WITHOUT FAIL. It's like, a natural law at this point.
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #607 on: January 08, 2012, 05:32:56 am »
Hey! Season 2 episode 12! Discuss!

This has got to be one of my favorites. It completely contradicts everything that was said about Ponyville previously, by which I mean the PREVIOUS EPISODE, but Apple family is best family.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #608 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:59 am »

This has got to be one of my favorites. It completely contradicts everything that was said about Ponyville previously, by which I mean the PREVIOUS EPISODE, but Apple family is best family.

Dude!  We already have a thread specifically dedicated to discussing Season 2 MLP:FiM episodes!  You yourself have posted in that thread as recently as a little over a week ago!  Why would you suddenly want to bring the season 2 episode discussion over here when we have been dutifully discussing it in the dedicated thread every week since last September!?

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #609 on: January 08, 2012, 12:40:03 pm »

Dude!  We already have a thread specifically dedicated to discussing Season 2 MLP:FiM episodes!  You yourself have posted in that thread as recently as a little over a week ago!  Why would you suddenly want to bring the season 2 episode discussion over here when we have been dutifully discussing it in the dedicated thread every week since last September!?
Dude, calm down. Just point it out politely please.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #610 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »

Perhaps because it was 3:30 AM at the time I posted :(?

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2012, 08:51:44 pm »
Perhaps because it was 3:30 AM at the time I posted :(?

/hugs Shim forgivingly

:)
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #612 on: January 10, 2012, 03:22:44 am »
Who watches the "Watchers?"  Apparently I do...

Forever!!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:27:54 am by Hoagiebot »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #613 on: January 26, 2012, 10:31:07 pm »
For those who may not check EQD on a daily basis (or more often >.>), this was announced today:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/01/bronycon-turned-upside-down-starts.html

Yes. Add John De Lancie to the list of special guests attending.
I won't lie, it makes it awful tempting to go. But that may depend on where my life takes me in the next few months.

Oh, and they changed venue and raised the attendance cap to 4000.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #614 on: January 26, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
Man I wish I had money. The chance to meet the legend, John DeLancie!
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #615 on: January 28, 2012, 03:23:45 pm »
I originally visited Furtopia this morning to attempt to be the first Brony to comment on the new MLP:FiM episode, "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" here since I have been *extremely* excited about it since I finished watching the episode on HUB 50-minutes ago, but gosh darn it, it looks like the episode hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet, and without having the episode available on my computer screen to be able to replay and replay and replay so that I can break down and analyze the episode down to the most obsessive detail, my comments about it will just have to wait.

That however does remind me of something that I have wanted to bring up in this discussion thread for a long time, and that is the suddenly much more active and offensive role Hasbro's legal department has suddenly been taking against sites either hosting or linking to complete My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episodes.  This renewed copyright enforcement campaign started off with a Death Star-shattering-Alderaan-sized-bang when Hasbro, Inc. moved it's giant orbital friendship cannon of mass destruction against the website Pony Archive, and has been ongoing since then with a far more aggressive campaign against the hosting of complete episodes on YouTube.  While not carried out by Hasbro, the destruction of Megaupload.com by U.S. and New Zealand authorities was yet another serious blow as that was where many MLP:FiM episodes were hosted.  As a result it has become *much* harder to see these episodes on the web, and it is only through the effort of Bronies actively defying Hasbro and risking repercussions that we are still able to see MLP:FiM episodes on the web at all.

This is an interesting turn of events, as for the longest time Hasbro was extremely lax about fans hosting complete MLP:FiM episodes on the web, and I would argue that it was this very lenient policy that allowed the entire web Brony movement to form on the web in the first place.  Now I happen to be extremely lucky with the fact that I have a cable provider that offers the HUB channel, but from what I have read over the past few months on Brony fan sites like Equestria Daily, there are many many Bronies who live in parts of the world where there is no television channel like the HUB or its few international partners broadcasting MLP:FiM, and there are even several countries out there where the iTunes store doesn't do business, shutting out that possible legitimate source for watching episodes in those regions as well.  These Bronies relied on video upload sources like YouTube and Pony Archive to be able to see the show at all, and with these resources gone those Brony communities are being slowly (if inadvertently) cut off, which is a sad turn of events.

Now, I didn't start writing this post to argue the right or wrong about Hasbro's now more hard-line take-down policy of videos.  MLP:FiM is their property, and they are free to enforce their intellectual property rights however they see fit.  If they want to disallow the hosting of complete MLP:FiM episodes across the web I really don't have any right to complain.  What I did start writing this post about however, is that I wonder how much further Hasbro will go with their enforcement policies from here.  As of right now, all still seems to be more good than bad in the Brony fandom world-- sites like Equestria Daily are have so far been largely unthreatened, I haven't heard about any of the MLP:FiM derived game projects like "Fighting is Magic" getting any threats, and Bronycon still seems to be getting a nod of approval, or at the very least a disinterested look of indifference, from the suit-wearing warlords at the top of Hasbro's corporate ladder.  But I have to wonder, will things stay this way, or will the Brony community become more clamped down upon once Hasbro can find ways to monetize more things that up until this point the bronies have been traditionally doing?

To explain what I mean, fan-speculation has it that the reason why Hasbro has suddenly become far more interested in taking down uploaded episodes from the web lately is because they have started releasing retail DVD's of some of the show's episodes and made the show's episodes available for purchase on iTunes.  In other words, Hasbro has now monetized recordings of the episodes, so now the act of fans uploading recordings of the episodes for free downloading or viewing is no longer O.K.  Alright, that makes reasonable business sense, I guess.  The danger comes in when Hasbro decides to monetize something else related to MLP:FiM.  Take for example if Hasbro decided to start selling MLP:FiM video games commercially.  I'm not talking about small flash-based games like the one that they currently have on HUB World.  Instead, I mean large commercial games, such as releasing games for handhelds such as for the iPhone or the Nintendo3DS, or for consoles such as the Nintendo Wii or the XBOX 360, or even releasing MMORPG's based around the land of Equestria.  In that case, would Hasbro's legal team start launching a legal assault against pre-established fan-made alternative games such as the before mentioned "Fighting is Magic," or other fan-made games that are in the works such as "Equestria Tales," or "MLP Online?"

The reason why I have suddenly become so concerned about this is because some time ago I myself started working on a large MLP:FiM-based project.  Every year I try to make a New Year's Resolution that I am going to complete one large project out of my now absolutely massive Project Destiny Studios project database (because otherwise I have a great knack for starting interesting projects and then never finishing them), and for 2012 I chose to try to concentrate my efforts on "Project #88," which happens to be a huge MLP:FiM-based video game project.  When I first came up with the idea for this project last Fall all was still right in the Brony world: the Pony Archive website was still alive and well, there were multiple bronies that had entire YouTube channels dedicated to hosting complete 1080p MLP:FiM episodes, and it looked like Hasbro was letting the fans do whatever derivative works based on MLP:FiM that they wanted, including selling fan-made merchandise such as custom made plushies, artwork, and repainted toys without fear of reprisal.  I am normally very cautious about making fan-made works based on other peoples' properties that I don't personally have written permission to use, and as a result I haven't created any fan artwork of any movie and TV show characters for literally years.  I just haven't done it.  I used to draw fan artwork of my favorite furry and cartoon animal characters from TV shows and movies all of the time, but has been 7-years now since I last have.  However, the sheer amount of fan works being created around MLP:FiM, combined with Hasbro's lack of condemnation against it, was rather a rather relaxed and appealing environment.  It caused me to lower my usual reservations about fan artwork, become caught up and deeply inspired by the brony movement, and start planning MLP:FiM-based projects of my own.  The success and attention that some MLP:FiM fan artists have been getting along with the advice given by a famous animator on his blog only helped to encourage me even further.

Now that Hasbro's legal department is showing that it does indeed have teeth and that it is not hesitant to use them, I am once again starting to become hesitant about continuing with my plan of making a large MLP:FiM-based project.  It's one thing to draw a fan-drawing and be asked by your ISP to take it down due to a DMCA Takedown request.  It's another thing to plan out an expensive game development project that I am going to be pouring my heart and soul into for the next 18+ months and then have *that* ordered to be taken down.  That would be tragic.  In addition, the fact that I have been told that there are already two existing MLP:FiM games that are similar in theme and game-play to my own game (but simpler and for different platforms) doesn't help my confidence with choosing to continue to keep moving ahead with my own project either.  [I did come up with the idea for my game completely independently without ever seeing the others, but apparently the idea that I came up with for a MLP:FiM game was a natural one.  I haven't seen these other games personally, as I have been intentionally avoiding them to keep them from contaminating my own ideas (and thus hoping to prevent people from accusing me of any idea-stealing through the "Chinese Wall Technique"), but the fact of the matter is that even though I personally feel that I am probably building a far better "mousetrap" for an as-yet untargeted platform, it still makes me wonder if I will still get jeered by the community for building another "mousetrap" at all, metaphorically speaking.]  I have already thrown some money into this project, but I am not yet at the point of no return, so I am left scratching my head and mulling about whether or not I want to possibly consider abandoning the massive endeavor and move onto something else.

Now that you have heard my thoughts, I have to ask you for your own-- I know that there are others here at Furtopia that are writing MLP:FiM fan-fictions, drawing MLP:FiM fan art, and in at least one case actually selling MLP:FiM fan-made merchandise.  Does anyone here share my concerns, or am I being completely hyper-vigilant here?  I'm curious if anyone else here worries about their own brony endeavors or the really large fan projects like Equestria Tales and MLP Online getting turned on by Hasbro, or if I am the only person around here who sees these kinds of storm clouds possibly appearing on the horizon.  Please let me know-- I would be curious to learn if anyone else has been picking up on any bad premonitions based on Hasbro's more recent somewhat-draconian behavior.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #616 on: January 28, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »
For starters, the episode is up on youtube and has been for a while. I always go to Derpy Hooves News to get the link to the newest episode. I think they only keep it at the top of their page for a short time though, as I've seen it gone when looking about half way through the week. They XyroTR1's channel for the HD version. Today's episode link HERE btw.

About the site take downs and such, I also think it's just them gearing up for DVD releases. Like it or not, the Brony community has to accept that Hasbro has the final say in anything that's put out there. They do also have to protect their copyright. Even if they think it'd be a good business practice to let us share and share alike (I.e. thinking the extra attention will generate more sales than blocking it on places like Youtube and Pony Archive), they can loose their copyright protection by doing so. However you look at it, they probably didn't have a choice if they wanted to mantain full control of their product. It shames the community as a whole when people start whining about Hasbro taking something down. Even more so when they think "But I'm sharing the power of friendship" is a valid argument for posting full HD episodes. I'm actually glad that the Pony Archive is gone after seeing their true colors in the defiance against Hasbro's take down notice (Excepting the one guy that bowed right from the first notice like a responsible adult of course). We don't need that kind of people in the community. Sure, I can understand questioning the emails to verify their legitimacy, but do it in a respectful manor!

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
For starters, the episode is up on youtube and has been for a while. I always go to Derpy Hooves News to get the link to the newest episode. I think they only keep it at the top of their page for a short time though, as I've seen it gone when looking about half way through the week. They XyroTR1's channel for the HD version. Today's episode link HERE btw.

I realize that the episode is up now, but it asn't when I had started writing the post.  Keep in mind that it takes me about 4-hours to bang out a wall-of-text with embedded hyperlinks of that size.

About the site take downs and such, I also think it's just them gearing up for DVD releases. Like it or not, the Brony community has to accept that Hasbro has the final say in anything that's put out there. They do also have to protect their copyright. Even if they think it'd be a good business practice to let us share and share alike (I.e. thinking the extra attention will generate more sales than blocking it on places like Youtube and Pony Archive), they can loose their copyright protection by doing so. However you look at it, they probably didn't have a choice if they wanted to mantain full control of their product. It shames the community as a whole when people start whining about Hasbro taking something down. Even more so when they think "But I'm sharing the power of friendship" is a valid argument for posting full HD episodes. I'm actually glad that the Pony Archive is gone after seeing their true colors in the defiance against Hasbro's take down notice (Excepting the one guy that bowed right from the first notice like a responsible adult of course). We don't need that kind of people in the community. Sure, I can understand questioning the emails to verify their legitimacy, but do it in a respectful manor!

Before the purpose of my last post gets misunderstood, I am not trying to complain about what Hasbro has already done, such as take down Pony Archive, strip episodes from YouTube, and the like.  Instead, I was wondering if anyone else here was as concerned as I am that Hasbro may start going further, such as going after the larger fan-made projects such as the video games that I mentioned in my last post, the large fan websites like the Derpy Hooves News site you referenced, and so on.  In other words, do you think that the video take downs are both the beginning and the end of Hasbro's actions, or do you think that they might possibly go further and come after high-profile derivative works?  I realize no one here will know for sure what the corporate-types at Hadbro are thinking and thus can't predict the future, so instead I am just asking whether or not anyone here shares my feelings of concern.  In other words, has anybody else's brony-related endeavors been effected or future plans changed by these recent developments?

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »
Before the purpose of my last post gets misunderstood, I am not trying to complain about what Hasbro has already done, such as take down Pony Archive, strip episodes from YouTube, and the like.  Instead, I was wondering if anyone else here was as concerned as I am that Hasbro may start going further, such as going after the larger fan-made projects such as the video games that I mentioned in my last post, the large fan websites like the Derpy Hooves News site you referenced, and so on.  In other words, do you think that the video take downs are both the beginning and the end of Hasbro's actions, or do you think that they might possibly go further and come after high-profile derivative works?  I realize no one here will know for sure what the corporate-types at Hadbro are thinking and thus can't predict the future, so instead I am just asking whether or not anyone here shares my feelings of concern.  In other words, has anybody else's brony-related endeavors been effected or future plans changed by these recent developments?

I wouldn't be all too worried about things like that. The distribution/availability of the episodes is a very direct impact on their profits and ratings. Only viewers on TV and purchases from iTunes are going to boost their ratings. None of the people waiting for the eps on YouTube or watching them streamed live on Saturdays are counting toward the show's ratings. And that's what it is all about.

I also think they are reasonable enough with us that on the off chance that they did start to want people to back off on various fan projects, they would be cool about it.

But they have to realize that we need some quantity of creative freedom, which will include the use of their own characters for various things. Without that, this community would be stifled pretty quickly. And I think we've proven to be a big enough group that they don't want to risk upsetting that balance as well.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:14 pm »
"they can loose their copyright protection by doing so"

This is not true.  You don't lose your copyright when you allow people to copy your work.  That's trademarks.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2012, 11:12:30 pm »
My thoughts on this subject are that Hasbro successfully sucked me into being a fan of this show by letting it be copied freely on Youtube.  I wouldn't have watched it otherwise.  In return, I became a loyal fan, and I've bought a bunch of their toys for my daughter.  I also would buy a good DVD set of a whole season if they put it out.  However, their current behavior -- constantly taking down episodes from Youtube -- has led to a lot of sadness and conflict in my house.  My four-year-old daughter does not understand why the episodes that she previously used to be able to easily access on her computer (because I added them to a favorites list that she can get to) keep disappearing.  No matter how I try to explain it to her, it doesn't make sense.  It makes her sad and angry when it happens.  And thus it makes me sad and angry.  Especially angry.  I personally think that they are behaving very poorly in doing so.  But, then, I think that's true of pretty much every giant corporation that "owns" any significant amount of culturally valuable "intellectual property."

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #621 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »
Well, we done screwed up. Bigtime.

A group of people sent complaints in to Hasbro and even directly to the writer for The Last Roundup. This is all regarding Derpy, and how she was presented. Now it seems that Hasbro is asking WeLoveFine to remove all their stuff with Derpy on it. And the episode has been removed from iTunes for now. I'm guessing that they are modifying it to either take Derpy out entirely and insert a random other pony, or un-Derping Derpy.

This makes me sad. Very sad indeed. Some people apparently couldn't just be happy with Derpy being made canon and enjoying the shout-out to the Bronies. I'm pretty sure she'll be gone forever now. I'd expect the opening to have her removed from the train during the title song, and we probably won't see her again in the background anywhere. Or at the very least, she'll be un-Derped.

What worries me most is that this is twice now that Hasbro has seen some backlash from the community. And this time, some went straight to one of the writers... I doubt this will happen now, but if things like this happen too much more, or if they get more severe, I could see them cancelling the show because of us. Well, because of what I figure is a fairly small but vocal portion of us. And I'd be a bit surprised if we see even the most subtle of nods to the community ever again.

Keep in mind that we've not yet had confirmation of Season 3. I just looked it up, and S2 was officially announced on March 25th last year. Assuming a similar timeline, that means all this drama has likely happened as they were still considering a third season (or at least early enough that they could still pull it).

I'm coming off as very negative here. And I try not to be, but I'm frustrated and concerned about this. I'd rather the show not end after just 2 seasons. It's too good for that.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #622 on: February 02, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »
I thought the Derpy inclusion was one of the funniest things I've seen on the show. It was amazing. I don't get why so many people complained.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #623 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:15 pm »
I thought the Derpy inclusion was one of the funniest things I've seen on the show. It was amazing. I don't get why so many people complained.
Because some people just want to take things too seriously and cause trouble instead of enjoying it for what it is. Being accused of making fun of retarded people is one of those things that can be a death nell for a large corporation, so they will always have this kind of knee jerk reaction instead of being reasonable.

Also throw in the fact that some people have an insatiable distaste for any big business and sprinkle on a helping of being pissed off that Derpy wasn't portrayed exactly to a few fans' expectation and this is what you get.

If things do go downhill with Derpy, I have a feeling Hasbro and Studio B are going to get an even bigger ear full and less cha-ching as the rest of the Bronies counter vote with their own letters and dollars.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #624 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »
Because some people just want to take things too seriously and cause trouble instead of enjoying it for what it is. Being accused of making fun of retarded people is one of those things that can be a death nell for a large corporation, so they will always have this kind of knee jerk reaction instead of being reasonable.

Also throw in the fact that some people have an insatiable distaste for any big business and sprinkle on a helping of being pissed off that Derpy wasn't portrayed exactly to a few fans' expectation and this is what you get.

If things do go downhill with Derpy, I have a feeling Hasbro and Studio B are going to get an even bigger ear full and less cha-ching as the rest of the Bronies counter vote with their own letters and dollars.

Pretty much this.

And yes, I am worried about the backlash for whatever they might be doing because of the initial backlash. We just need to lay low for a while and roll with whatever happens. Perhaps even send some positive feedback to Hasbro and Studio B, with no mention of Derpy whatsoever.