community group sub-forums > tech talk

Furry Tech Talk Rules/Mission

<< < (2/2)

Artem Rose:
Oops, that wasnt the place for that to go. x_o

CarLOS:

--- Quote ---So, since this is my first ever server, I've got a couple of questions.

1. What's a good OS that has plenty of support (Help manuals.), and can perform a large range of processes.
--- End quote ---
Most, other than the most esoteric OS's are well supported and documented.

Do you want ease of use (Windows), outstanding security (Open or FreeBSD) or bonzer reliability (Linux)?

--- Quote ---2. What's the major difference between a SCSI hdd, versus one that you'll just put in a desktop? I know that there's a physical connection difference, but other than that?
--- End quote ---

Most people I know use a SCSI in their desktop ;)

For a server, you want SCSI. Most desktops have IDE something or others. They are cheap and good for one or two users or so, but would bog down right quick in a server. IDE's are a good option for backup to the main SCSI.

--- Quote ---3.What are more possibilites that you can use a server for besides the very basics, (Websites, Gaming)?
--- End quote ---

Depends on what you want the server for. Most used are:

WWW - Apache
FTP - vsFTP or ProFTPd
NNTP server - Leaf
SMTP server - exim

NoName:

--- Quote ---Depends on what you want the server for. Most used are:

WWW - Apache
FTP - vsFTP or ProFTPd
NNTP server - Leaf
SMTP server - exim
--- End quote ---
I thought Apache was for FTP and SMTP as well as WWW?

Siege:
The base install of Apache is as httpd. I believe that includes a very simple, web-based ftp method - which does not replace the need for a proper ftpd.

Kobuk:
Uh.......you do realise you just replied to a thread that is THREE YEARS OLD?  :o The people you were probably giving answers to (Carlos, and whoever that NoName person originally was. ) no longer visit Furtopia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version