community group sub-forums > anime

Ghost In The Shell movie

<< < (2/2)

Kobuk:

--- Quote from: Shim on April 07, 2017, 11:59:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: Kobuk on March 29, 2017, 11:14:39 pm ---I'm hoping to go see this film sometime next week. ;) Anybody else planning to see it?

Shim, I understand you don't like Scarlet Johansson to play the lead role of the Major in the film. But here's something I read which you might want to take notice:

http://time.com/4714367/ghost-in-the-shell-controversy-scarlett-johansson/

--- Quote ---Director Rupert Sanders recently told CNET that he stands by his casting of Johansson, who he calls “the best actress of my generation and her generation, and the person I felt most embodied the physicality and the ability to inhabit that role.”  The director of the first Ghost in the Shell movie, Mamoru Oshii, agreed but for different reasons, telling IGN: "The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one. The name ‘Motoko Kusanagi’ and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her."
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Of course the director is going to defend his work. What does this prove?

--- End quote ---

If a person's brain is placed inside a bio-mechanical cyborg body, whether in male or female form, then how do we really know what the original biological body was? The cyborg could look female and talk in a female voice, but did the brain actually come from a female body? What if the brain was from a male body, but placed in a cyborg female body that had a feminine voice?

People can say all they want that the Major must be female and must be Asian/Japanese because of the look of the cyborg body and because the anime/movie is in Japan. But the big questions are: Are you sure? How do you know?

Shim:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on April 08, 2017, 12:27:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: Shim on April 07, 2017, 11:59:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: Kobuk on March 29, 2017, 11:14:39 pm ---I'm hoping to go see this film sometime next week. ;) Anybody else planning to see it?

Shim, I understand you don't like Scarlet Johansson to play the lead role of the Major in the film. But here's something I read which you might want to take notice:

http://time.com/4714367/ghost-in-the-shell-controversy-scarlett-johansson/

--- Quote ---Director Rupert Sanders recently told CNET that he stands by his casting of Johansson, who he calls “the best actress of my generation and her generation, and the person I felt most embodied the physicality and the ability to inhabit that role.”  The director of the first Ghost in the Shell movie, Mamoru Oshii, agreed but for different reasons, telling IGN: "The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one. The name ‘Motoko Kusanagi’ and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her."
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Of course the director is going to defend his work. What does this prove?

--- End quote ---

If a person's brain is placed inside a bio-mechanical cyborg body, whether in male or female form, then how do we really know what the original biological body was? The cyborg could look female and talk in a female voice, but did the brain actually come from a female body? What if the brain was from a male body, but placed in a cyborg female body that had a feminine voice?

People can say all they want that the Major must be female and must be Asian/Japanese because of the look of the cyborg body and because the anime/movie is in Japan. But the big questions are: Are you sure? How do you know?

--- End quote ---

Actually yes because if you saw the film, Spoiler: showShe's revealed to have originally been a Japanese brain put into a white woman's body.

Kobuk:
A bit late aren't you, Shim? Took you this long to post a reply.  :P

Shim:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on August 19, 2017, 10:59:03 pm ---A bit late aren't you, Shim? Took you this long to post a reply.  :P

--- End quote ---

Got bored. Chcked this thread. Didn't realize the entire thing was more or less a conversation between the two of us. Response is still valid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version