Author Topic: I could use some help.  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Shadowfox

• "yeah, i'm a furry, so what?"
  • Male
I could use some help.
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:41:43 pm »
I LOVE drawing furrys and stuff. Yet, I think I REALLY suck at it.

Does anyone know of some really good tutorials I could use to help perfect my skills?

Thanks in advance. :)
FURRIES RULE!!!

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
Re: I could use some help.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:46:17 pm »
*prepares for forum sub-topic shift*
Hold on folks!

And don't think your art sucks. If you ever think that, you could always try looking up other first-time amateur art (if you can find it)! And really, the art comes together when you finish a project! It's the hardest thing to do, finishing something, but if you can pull it off, go all of the way, and not stop editing a picture until you get at least close to your ideal want, then you will realize it's actually not that bad! At least, that's how it went for me. ;)

Link to a pretty in-depth how-to furry art! It's a big page to load though, so if you have slow internet, you've been warned!
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Aerisyka

• Female
    • http://aerisyka.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:55:17 pm »
I think one of the best things you can do to learn how to draw better anthros is to study and draw both the animal and human shapes individually. It's best to understand how each part works before you try to put the pieces together. Say you want to draw fox furries: get pictures of real foxes and learn how their anatomy works. Then get some pose references of humans to get their body type down. It also dosen't hurt to copy pictures of artists whose style you enjoy, as it can help you build your own; but do be sure to ask the artists' permission first and never post it anywhere claiming it as your own.
We have a fascination with the darkness, although we're standing in light.
We have the strongest sense of kindness, but we still can't treat our own selves right.

<:3=*)~

Icon by 22mg!

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:08:52 pm »
There are two methods of learning how to (or improve) drawing.  Both of them have been offered in the previous posts, too!  One is to start from scratch, and use a tutorial or a teacher.  It's generally a slower process, but it'll build a very strong skill base that will help you in all cases.  The other method, and the one that I used to learn how to draw, is to copy stuff from others.  You can improve more quickly this way, but sometimes it goes awry and you can fall into using bad shortcuts and such when you draw.  It also takes a keen sense of self-direction and motivation which is sometimes difficult to find within yourself.  I can give you a lot of tips for the second method (as I've traveled back and forth across this path a lot, and still do), so ask and I'll fire away!

Combining these methods is advantageous in all respects, but it takes much more dedication.  One thing's for certain, though (and quite cliche, as well), the more you practice, the better you'll get.  Reading a guide or copying another piece once won't get you anywhere, unless you APPLY it and continue applying it until your paws die!  Practice constantly, draw everywhere, and NEVER throw away a drawing, even if it's the most grotesque, disgusting creation you have ever seen!

How about posting some of your art so we can help in directing you?  We won't laugh (I promise)!
"Don't forget to cash all your checks before you legally change your name" ~ Me

"A winner is a person who's present when someone loses." ~ also Me

"The only room for these goods in the city is right here in my cart!" ~ Deliveryman from Zeus