Author Topic: Help!  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Wolfy35

• You cannot fight teh cuteness!
  • Male
Help!
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:46 pm »
Can anyone give me tips on how to draw or direct me to a link or something??  Cause I really wanna learn how to draw, but the best I can do is a stick figure -_-

"The afterlife is like a tree.  When you burn the tree, you'd think the tree is gone; forever banished to nothingness.  But no, the smoke produced from the inferno drifts upwards and connects with the clouds.  The clouds collect water vapor, and rain life upon the living trees; thus, the burnt tree becomes a sustainer of life for the living tree, and ultimately becomes a part of it." ~ Me!

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
... TBH, I don't know. I just work on the lines on the screen/paper until they look like what I want them to look like.
It takes a lot of practice, but... hey, you have to start somehwere.
IMHO, tutorials were no help for me, but that's just how I learn.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Wolfy35

• Male
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »
Thanks Avan ^_^

That's what I've been doing; teaching myself, and now that I look at it, I actually HAVE gotten a lot better :D Just not as good as 99% of the artists on here lol

Thanks for the tip!
"The afterlife is like a tree.  When you burn the tree, you'd think the tree is gone; forever banished to nothingness.  But no, the smoke produced from the inferno drifts upwards and connects with the clouds.  The clouds collect water vapor, and rain life upon the living trees; thus, the burnt tree becomes a sustainer of life for the living tree, and ultimately becomes a part of it." ~ Me!

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:48:25 pm »
People say to work on what's difficult so you can improve it, but I'm going to say that's not the best formula.  Instead work on a little of what's difficult and a little of what you find easy.  Too much "difficult" will make you discouraged quickly.  I've tried to learn to draw several times in the past, and each time I got discouraged and quit because I always tried hard stuff.  But don't ONLY draw easy stuff, either.  Just enough to feel like you can actually do stuff. :3  For me, easy stuff would be spaceships and stuff with straight lines.  Then I could put a pilot looking out the canopy window, and just limit the parts of him you can see, so it's a little easier.  I've also done pictures where I'm only drawing the head or paws or something, and the rest of the picture is something else that's easy to draw.  I'm just the kind of guy that needs some kind of immediate reward to keep going, and being able to look at a picture and say, "Yeah, it's OK, but this one part can improve..." seems to do that for me.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Wolfy35

• Male
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »
Thanks! That sounds like a really good strategy ^_^

I don't think I can emphasize how much I suck at drawing though!  I've never tried cartoons, but they seem a lot more fun and easier.  

And I literally meant what I said about the stick figures lol

Thanks for the tip!

By the way, I'm gonna try to draw tonight, so how do I post the pictures on here?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:04:51 pm by Wolfy35 »

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:23:30 pm »
I'm going to assume you have some way to get your drawing into the computer ;)

After that, you're going to have to find some kind of hosting service.  Being a member of the Cult of Google myself, I use Picasaweb.  There are others, too, such as Imageshack.

Once you have it uploaded somewhere, you'll have to copy its URL (address).  Some hosting sites have a convenient text box with the URL to copy.  Many times you can do it by right-clicking the image (for Windows... I dont' know the Mac equivalent) and selecting the 'Copy Image URL' or 'Copy Image Location' option.

Lastly, come here and type:

[ img ]

but leave out the spaces.  Then paste the URL of your image.  Close it off by typing:

[ /img ]

Again, leave out the extra spaces.

Some image etiquette for the internet: don't post huge images directly (link to them and optionally include a smaller image here); warn about nudity in the post title; use common file types such as .jpg so everyone can enjoy your art. 

Hope that is enough to get you started :)
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Wolfy35

• Male
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:41:05 pm »
Yeah that's good, thanks! ^_^

And I just found out that I'm not bad at drawing!! :D I just can't draw people lol I can draw objects and stuff perfectly, but not people...

I'll try to upload them later if I can, or if I even draw anything :/.  I'll keep trying though!  Thanks for all the help!

Offline Wolfy35

• Male
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:52:51 pm »
Yeeaaahhhh, never mind...I'm gonna stick with "other" arts; like music and literature.  I tried, and I can't draw a THING!

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:00:42 pm »
Don't be like me, and give up instantly >:(!

If you still want to do artsy type stuff, try doing something like I did here. I can't draw to save my life. Believe me, it takes SKILL to fail a beginning drawing class. However, I had a great amount of fun with this little project, and would love to do it again someday :D!
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,38624.0.html

Offline Wolfy35

• Male
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:16 pm »
Whoa, that thing is cool!  Nice work! :D

And I've tried before...drawing just isn't my thing.  The only way I can draw is if it's REALLY easy, or if I'm duplicating something.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:11:54 pm by Wolfy35 »

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:52:36 pm »
Honestly, just do it. 

Don't worry about being
Just not as good as 99% of the artists on here lol
.  If you want to draw, then draw.  Doesn't matter what the subject is, as long as you're drawing something.  Draw a shape and see where it takes you.  Doodle anything...doodling is very underrated. 
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:28:51 pm »
When I first started to draw I would try to draw things I liked.
Cartoon characters, and such. Now there are many graphics on
the net you can use for inspiration.

Also if your interested in learning to draw. I suggest doing net
searches for toutorials and other how to draw sites . Most are
free, and give you good experience.. Also learning to draw gives
one new sight. You see the world in a more detailed way.

I don't know how it will be with you. But after a few months
of practice I lost the fear of making mistakes when I drew. It
gave me a new freedom and ease when I drew..

Oh I still make mistakes as we all do, but when you
loose that worry it's a lot more fun.

Art gives one the ability create worlds, and creatures that used
to only exist in ones mind. That's what I really enjoy about
drawing.

Good luck.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline Samil

• Male
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
hmmm... when ever i get stuck on drawing things i normally look to youtube and look up "how to draw (insert whatever here)". but as for tips, dont try to rush anything, art takes time and rushing it along will make it look like a 5 yr old drew it. i've had one picture take me like 3 months before. of course if i tried it again now i'm sure i'd get it down in a couple of days (without stopping of course). i've been drawing since i was 11 (i'm turning 20 in march) and only recently started drawing furries. i started with pokemon, worked into anime/manga and now i'm on furries. but basically just start off with things that make you comfortable. and remember ^^ nice and slow and it'll be worth the wait.
~Samil~

Offline HeavenlyOdyssey

• Newbie fursuiter :)
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 02:04:23 pm »
Hi there, firstly good on you for seeking advice :), so many people give up after trying something and feel they aren't good at it.
There's no real right or wrong way to learn art skills, it depends on what your learning style is.
My advice is buy some good books and dvd's (or even look online for tutorials) learn and study anatomy and give yourself realistic goals, for example, a goal could be "today I will practice at least 30mins drawing and shading objects." etc.
It might sound pretty basic but shading is one of the prime factors of bringing a piece of art to life so take your time and get to learn about it.
Also, experiment with different media, if it's fun it'll encourage you to draw and study more :) and look at artists that inspire you and take notes on what it is that attracts you to their pieces.
For me Adrian Smith and Clint Langley are two of my top inspiriations because their style is very similar to my own.
The beautiful thing about art is that you are the creator, you can make the impossible possible and create anything you desire.
The only limitations is your own imagination.
I wish you all the best on your art journey, and look forward to seeing some of your pieces :).
It is not wolves that are devils but man, for it is he who has condemned the wolf and created demons where there were none.
Now because of mans prejudice, the sons of Loki shall never know peace, and their howls will forever echo their sadness.