Author Topic: fur tail at AX  (Read 4848 times)

Offline revnance

• Male
fur tail at AX
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:34:36 am »
i got a fur tail at AX its just one of those keychain ones that ravers wear or wat ever the only difrence between me and them is i wear mine on the back loop. any way i was wondering are these "key chain" tails real or fake fur?  :o
"bark at the moon"

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: fur tail at AX
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:18:39 am »
What is AX?

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:01:15 am »
i got a fur tail at AX its just one of those keychain ones that ravers wear or wat ever the only difrence between me and them is i wear mine on the back loop. any way i was wondering are these "key chain" tails real or fake fur?  :o

alot of the small dangely tails i see are real.. its easy to tell, just try and feel any bones on the inside.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure they'd remove the bones.

There's other ways of telling though.  For one,  are all the hairs exactly the same density?  Are they all exactly the same thickness?   Gently part the fur and look to what it's attached to.  If it looks like a cloth mesh,  it's fake.  If it looks like skin,  it's real.

I don't know what AX is either.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »
I did a little googling and found out AX means Anime Expo. They just had a con last weekend in CA.
AX Website

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
probably not real then.

Offline Tuna

• tunatunatunatunatunatunatunatuna
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »
It depends - I went to AX with friends last year, and there was a booth there selling *real* fur tails...well, that's what they claimed, anyway. The booth had a steampunk/trapper theme - if that sounds familiar, you might have the real thing. Well, real fur, anyway...
:3
If I no longer think
of reality
as reality,
what reason would I have
to think of dreams as dreams?

- Saigyo

Offline Chimara

• If I see that cat one more time...
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »
I've seen tails sold at anime cons before, and I can safely say that even the realistic ones were fake. I've noticed that most of the people who are drawn to such things are against the use of animal pelts in that manner. On the other hand, I've never been to AX, nor have the name of the vender, so I can't say for certain.

Another thing to consider are the laws that restrict the sale of animal parts/pelts. They vary from state to state, but I'm sure that both the con and the hotel would honor these since such things, since they can be very sticky legally.

Offline revnance

• Male
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 02:23:13 am »
thnx for the input guys ill post a picture of it for confermation
"bark at the moon"

Offline Chimara

• Female
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:57 am »
thnx for the input guys ill post a picture of it for confermation

That would be great. I'll try to help if I can, and I'm sure there is someone here that knows about fur.

Offline socal Rocky

• Male
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:09 am »
I got a tail from that EXACT booth that Tuna is talking about. (I was at Anime Expo this year, too). At first I thought it was VERY good immitation fur, but it does have a faint "animal smell" to it, which makes me wonder a little. Even my dog wondered why I smelled extra funny when I got back from the Expo. Very cool colors on the tail, either way. I likes my new tail  (:

Offline Chimara

• Female
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 03:10:21 am »
I got a tail from that EXACT booth that Tuna is talking about. (I was at Anime Expo this year, too). At first I thought it was VERY good immitation fur, but it does have a faint "animal smell" to it, which makes me wonder a little. Even my dog wondered why I smelled extra funny when I got back from the Expo. Very cool colors on the tail, either way. I likes my new tail  (:

Hmm, this is very interesting, since I've never heard about tails with real fur before. I'm really intrigued now. I'm sort of wondering what kind of fur it is now, but I doubt we will get the answer unless we can get someone that good at identifying this kind of thing. Nice find!

Offline PupLilith17

• "Merry Christmas!"
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »
i had a real tail once
the best way i think to tell
is if it smells of perservitives or cemicals(mine did)
its to keep the tail fresh or from decaying
so you might be able to tell that way
---------------------------------------http://brialilith.deviantart.com/

Offline revnance

• Male
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 03:24:52 am »
Ok so I asked my grandfather if it was real and he said yes. So now I ask is it ok to wear it as a furry like in public or I should say as a normal fur tail I guess?
"bark at the moon"

Offline socal Rocky

• Male
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 11:42:55 am »
If you ask me, it's a personal choice. If you're okay with wearing fur then wear it. I don't think what you wear needs to be "furry approved". I'm still gonna wear mine.

Offline revnance

• Male
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35:03 pm »
another question about his tail. should i wear it at disney land next time i go wich is thursday
"bark at the moon"

Offline Tuna

• tunatunatunatunatunatunatunatuna
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:34:25 am »
As fun as that sounds, it will seriously limit you concerning all of the water-based rides....I mean, if it's real, getting it really wet couldn't be good.
=<<=
If I no longer think
of reality
as reality,
what reason would I have
to think of dreams as dreams?

- Saigyo

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 01:13:55 am »
not to mention THINK OF THE CHILDREN...pulling it that is.
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline Necryn

• Female
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 10:16:58 pm »
Ok so I asked my grandfather if it was real and he said yes. So now I ask is it ok to wear it as a furry like in public or I should say as a normal fur tail I guess?

It's personal preference.  Most furries sell fake fur costuming, but I've seen one or two vendors selling real fur tails and such at furry conventions on occasion.  A lot of furries seem to have an aversion to real fur, but I don't have a problem with it depending on where the fur came from.  I have a few real fox fur items that I use for spiritual purposes, and one real fox tail I wear around sometimes because my mate doesn't mind it as much as my big fake fur tails, but for the most part I prefer fake fur unless it's for spiritual purposes or pagan events.

I only buy real animal products from Nature Punk and Lupa:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturePunk
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thegreenwolf

They're selective about where they get their fur products from, and both of them donate a portion of their profits to nature-based charities.

You can get pretty realistic stuff without real animal fur though.  I've seen some very realistic tails made with wool yarn (Bir on FA has a tutorial on how to do it).  I've had a lot of people think the skull face on my fursuit is real, but it was actually sculpted then cast in resin.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:20:02 pm by Necryn »

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:28 pm »
One easy way to tell if your fur item is fake or not: Leave it under a mild heat source where it cannot be tampered with, come back in a few hours and waft.
If it smells like biology class, then it is DEFINITELY a real tail. If it smells like the "hair" trim on a coat, then it's more than likely fake.
If there is no discernible smell, then do as was already recommended and see what it's attached to.
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you