Author Topic: Fursuits and animal moscot suits  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
Fursuits and animal moscot suits
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:57:55 pm »
What is difference away?

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
Re: Fursuits and animal moscot suits
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:46:11 pm »
Mascots:
Generally represent company's or sporting teams. They tend to have large bodies or limbs.

Fursuits:
They tend to have more detail, are better quality and they have smaller more realistic bodies (They are generally fitted closer to the body). Generally they can either be Realistic (tend to be more expensive and have poorer vision), Cartoon style (they are cheaper than realistic ones and tend to have better vision) or a mix. I'm unsure but I think they are generally more expensive than mascot suits.

After a quick google I found a pretty good example: http://dasswiftfurry.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/mascot-vs-fursuit/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:49:36 pm by Sciex »

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:08:33 am »
^ that but fursuits are ment to represent a furry character/ someone's fursona

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »
Beyond just what they stand for (which, to me isn't really all that different), there are some inherent construction differences between the two. At least if comparing an average mascot costume to a fursuit.

Mascot costumes are built to take a beating. You pretty much expect that the wearer won't take the same level of care of the mascot costume as what somebody would do with a fursuit. Also, mascot costumes tend to be one-size-fits-all, so the body would probably be fairly baggy (if it has one).

On top of all that, particularly with team mascots for larger sports teams, the style and proportions of the characters tend to be vastly different. Everything is even more exaggerated. For example, a lot of mascots will have very large heads. These are actually sometimes shoulder-mounted, so if the performer wants to turn the characters head, they have to actually turn with their whole upper body. Fursuit masks are typically fitted to the head of the wearer, so simply turning your own head will turn the characer's head. I think a big reason they use the proportions that they do is for visibility. In even a medium-sized stadium, it's much easier to be able to tell what the character is from anywhere in the stadium when they use the larger style head/features.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:51:20 pm »
You explained pretty good, well said.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:13:37 am »
Fursuits are created to represent an individual, whether it be a character they created, or a fursona.

A mascot is created to represent  a business or sports group.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 11:53:11 am »
A Mascot is for a  group, team, or buisness.

A Fursuit is a representation of an individuals fursona.

Also there are costumes representing famous characters. Like the Easter Bunny, and
various cartoon animal characters. These are generally used for entertainment parks,
parades, and costume parties.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Kynao

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 12:17:53 pm »
A mascot is a emblem meant to bring luck, a mascot suit could be anything and is generally associated with sports teams which is often zoomorphic but not always. A sports team could however have a superhero as a mascot that isn't remotely non-human in character. The design of a mascot suit will also be variable but they're generally made of cheaper materials and are made to be aesthetically in line with the common design of mascot suits in terms of their archetype and standards of production.
Fursuit would refer to what it sounds like, it doesn't imply detail or a specific creator and doesn't have to be a fursona that would be stereotypical and arguable. Outside the furry community it's just generally called animal costuming but the word fursuit is also used often in similar if not interrelated subcultures.