Author Topic: S3E05 "Magic Duel"  (Read 3538 times)

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
S3E05 "Magic Duel"
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »
She's BACK! :o

My little pony friendship is magic season 3 episode 5>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwnLgYxkIfA

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:51:51 pm by NeoFur »

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: S3E05 "Magic Duel"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 03:21:18 pm »
And looks positively EVIL!

I really hope Mitch wrote this one. Very few of the writers would do this right...

Offline NeoFur

• Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:31:29 pm »
She's going to learn a lesson about seeking power and lose all of her new magic or become an evil rival that comes back over and over....

I would be truly surprised if they went old old school and she gets turned to stone/cursed by her own magic.

Offline Corvus Corone

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »
Did MA Larson write the first Trixie episode?

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:30 am »
I don't believe so, but what I'm saying is that we've seen how well certain writers coughmeghanmccarthycough have handled continuity, so I imagine he's probably a safe bet, given the fact that he's written like..all of the best episodes.

Offline Corvus Corone

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:07:51 am »
What's wrong with Meghan McCarthy, brah?

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »
What's wrong with Meghan McCarthy, brah?

Season 3 Premiere :P

Offline Squeaks

• Species: German Shepherd/Border Collie
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:47 pm »
Any guess for the moral will be at the end of the show?

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »
WARNING: This post is from AFTER seeing the episode and it will discuss things from the episode. If you don't want any more spoilers, stop reading  ;)

I didn't take the time to check who the writer was for this one, but I feel like they did a great job with it. Especially because I'm pretty sure the mere existence of the episode is a shout-out to the older fans. I don't think they'ed have bothered to bring Trixie back normally. It wouldn't have meant anything to the original* target audience. They wouldn't remember Trixie almost two full seasons later.

I'll start with the obvious one: Trixie. Frankly, this was the only version of Trixie I could have accepted them bringing back. She was still full of herself, and back with a vengeance. So really, it was the same old Trixie we knew from before.

Staying on the theme of the characters, I liked how they handled Twilight as well. She could have obsessed over failing and broken down to where she was utterly useless. We've seen this before. It was refreshing that she was able to keep her cool and actually go learn something (and from a source of magic that she previously discredited no less).

Another thing I liked was that they didn't just just RAINBOW OF DEATH to solve the problem. Especially after they kinda suggested that they might. Maybe I was just not thinking hard enough this morning, but I actually didn't think she was just playing tricks when she showed up Trixie. I actually thought she had learned that stuff. Which was actually a bit unsettling to me, because it felt like too much adnvancing in her magic for one episode. Then I felt kinda stupid when they revealed what they had done, because I really should have seen that coming, when they didn't go all Elements of Harmony on her. Also, when I thought about it more after the episode, that wouldn't have even worked. They couldn't have forcibly removed the necklace from Trixie, even with their combined magic.

That said, when I thought Twilight was really doing those spells, I thought AJ's reaction to being turned into a stallion was pretty funny. But once it hit me that it was actually Big Mac, it took on a whole new level. He was so embarrassed to be out there painted like his sister. I guess it's the same kind of awkward embarrassment, but it just really struck me funny.

My biggest question about the episode is why the Alicorn Amulet even exists? And why was it just in some obscure market like that?

As worried as I was to have the Trixie episode coming around, I really am very pleased with how it was handled. I'd put this as one of my favorites in a while.

*Based off what we've gotten this season so far as a whole, plus the slight shift in product marketing/availability, I'm pretty convinced now that the target audience has shifted somewhat. I feel like most of Season 1 was a kid's show with some stuff older viewers would appreciate so they wouldn't feel sick watching it with their kids. Season 2 was kind of an awkward phase, or perhaps a transitional phase. Season 3 feels more grown-up to me. I feel like it's either equally targeted at the older and younger audiences, or verging on targeted toward the older audiences but written so the younger viewers can still enjoy it and get something out of it.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Squeaks

• Species: German Shepherd/Border Collie
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »
I agree with your statements about the episode. Also well stated. Hopefully they'll continue they way they are going for the season.

I did enjoy the episode and was clever way of putting the plot. The whole store of secret artifacts was strange.

Offline NeoFur

• Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 02:55:12 pm »
Just watched it, that episode felt like Bleach filler. A bit of action and nothing really happened lol. :D
It's nice to know dangerous all powerful magic items are easy to buy... and are on display... with no visible security.  (:
Also there was really no sense of time in this one. How long was Twilight gone doing the Jedi training?

Offline KitKatPurrpurr

• Species: Deer, jaguar
  • Jagdeer
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »
Just watched it, that episode felt like Bleach filler. A bit of action and nothing really happened lol. :D
It's nice to know dangerous all powerful magic items are easy to buy... and are on display... with no visible security.  (:
Also there was really no sense of time in this one. How long was Twilight gone doing the Jedi training?
They must have left out the montage where she trains with Zecora to Eye of the Tiger. That would have helped out the storyline a lot. xD

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 04:12:05 pm »
Also forgot to mention that TWILIGHT LEARNED 4TH WALL!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:53:03 pm »
My biggest question about the episode is why the Alicorn Amulet even exists? And why was it just in some obscure market like that?

The whole store of secret artifacts was strange.

Do we not know our ancient and powerful runes lore? Those kinds of things are always easy to find and be aquired by evil hands... er... hooves in this case. Just look at any Egyptian based movie! :D

I think I'll rate this one pretty high up there for an episode. It was just fun all around. I especially loved the end. Pinky went nearly the whole episode without being to say anything, and right when she finally can, BAM. Darkness. I half expected her to pop out again and ramble on about everything. XD
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:13:19 pm by Narei Mooncatt »
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »
This episode was great! Which was a relief since I wasn't all that entertained by last week's.

I'd say there were enough clear fandom references here that yeah, they're definitely going to make that a regular part of the show. As well as more callbacks to earlier episodes, like the parasprite Twilight summoned. ...I'm wondering if the sheet of snow was a deliberate reference to Bone? The snow falling suddenly when winter begins is just such an iconic part of that comic.

Also the gender swap seemed like a deliberate fandom reference too.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
I have to say i was very impressed with this episode.  :3

The story was...   Well,  it's sad because they have to fit it into a 20 min show.  Had there been more time and depth allowed,  SOOOO much could have been done with this.  ^_^

But yeah,  i enjoyed it.  I'm glad to see Trixie's heart was softened a small amount...  And now i want to know a lot more about zebras.  Apparently they don't need a horn to preform various types of non-potion magic.  She  reminded me somewhat of yoda this episode.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:10:08 pm by Alsek »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 01:38:12 am »
As well as more callbacks to earlier episodes, like the parasprite Twilight summoned. ...I'm wondering if the sheet of snow was a deliberate reference to Bone? The snow falling suddenly when winter begins is just such an iconic part of that comic.

Oh yeah, how could I forget those, too! Beyond just bringing back Trixie from the past, there were a ton of references to things that happened in previous episodes.

Just so many intricacies to catch in this one. Loved it.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 02:45:32 am »
Did anyone else catch the camera trick at the begining when Trixie grins behind the amulet and it makes up teeth and eyes of a face with the jewels? That was just an awesome effect.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:28 pm »
As well as more callbacks to earlier episodes, like the parasprite Twilight summoned. ...I'm wondering if the sheet of snow was a deliberate reference to Bone? The snow falling suddenly when winter begins is just such an iconic part of that comic.

Oh yeah, how could I forget those, too! Beyond just bringing back Trixie from the past, there were a ton of references to things that happened in previous episodes.

Just so many intricacies to catch in this one. Loved it.

I thought of Bone too!

I really love the way M.A. Larson does continuity. He did it with Ponyville Confidential too, with the "Big Macintosh, what is he hiding?" bit!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 12:31:03 pm »
Amulets, and other items of magic found in obscure stores or places is
fairly common in stories.  After all the item doesn't always have to be
known as a powerful object. Just by the one who acquires it.

It would seem unlikely that Trixie would have had the means to
purchase a known object of great power.

She did say she was forced to do work she didn't like, just to survive.

It might have been better if she had found the object considering she
shouldn't have had much of anything to buy it with.

I did enjoy the show. One of their better works. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:44:58 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 09:48:39 pm »

The whole store of secret artifacts was strange.

Do we not know our ancient and powerful runes lore? Those kinds of things are always easy to find and be aquired by evil hands... er... hooves in this case. Just look at any Egyptian based movie! :D

I think I'll rate this one pretty high up there for an episode. It was just fun all around. I especially loved the end. Pinky went nearly the whole episode without being to say anything, and right when she finally can, BAM. Darkness. I half expected her to pop out again and ramble on about everything. XD

I agree with Narei, this was a fun episode!  :D
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:15 am »
I overall loved this episode. Like I said, M.A. Larson would be the one to do it right and he did!

Why doesn't he just write the entire show :P? He's written all of the best episodes...

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 07:30:12 pm »
I loved so much of this episode.  Possibly all of this episode.  Everything with Fluttershy and her critters was great:  them looking so happy to be tossed about magically while she was terrified for their safety; them providing the means to help her escape and then dragging her off into the forest against her will; the critters being tossed around like fireworks at the end; and "This is me being brave!  I want to be brave at home, locked in my closet, with my teddy bear!"  So cute.  It's nice to see some really good Fluttershy bits.  I also loved the bizarreness of how Trixie removed Pinkie's mouth like it was a computer icon and then the fact that they kept the joke of her missing mouth up for the whole rest of the episode.

Basically, I just think that everything in this episode was delightful all the way through.

I guessed what they were doing in terms of swapping in painted ponies as soon as Applejack and Rarity (who both have little sisters) were made young.  But, I still really enjoyed seeing it, and it was nice that they chose a twist for the climax where Twilight didn't actually use magic to best Trixie.  Much more interesting this way.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:28:25 pm »
Well, this just actually put a few things into perspective for me:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/magic-duel-was-season-2-episodes-take.html

Apparently, the premise of this show was proposed almost 1.5 years ago, when the fandom was still picking up steam. They wouldn't have necessarily realized the popularity of Trixie at that point. They may have noticed that some people took some notice of her and latched on a bit, but I don't know if that would have been enough back then to do it solely for the fans. I think this actually makes me like it better.