Poll

No current poll

A
0 (0%)
B
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Sciex gets better at art :)  (Read 42901 times)

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
Re: Sciex attempts to get better at art :)
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 09:11:38 am »
oh you did an art!
Sir that is bad grammar!

as is yours, i am not a knight i am not sir korvre i am just korvre. are you implying i should be knighted? am i just that good.
 anyway, good job sciex.
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »
Here is a web site that shows how to draw fur. Not just for dummies either.  :P

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/drawing-the-furry-fluffy-and-feathered.html
oldrabbit.com

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »
Thanks :) I'll give it a go some time when I'm more awake ^_^ soo sleepy..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:52:37 pm by Sciex »

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:45 am »
Ok guys. Here is my current work in progress. I've only just started it.

I thought I'd show you how I start off some of my drawing. I usually start with the head and work down. On some of my drawings such as this one I draw a bit of a skeletal structure of what I want to get. I made the moon by selecting a circular area, colouring it white, adding some grey blotches, blurring it, sharpening, unselecting, blurring edges, sharpened, new layer, add glow underneath by using a fuzzy brush. The Star's were made by using a small brush with about 30% hardness and using different levels of pressure on my graphics tablet. Hopefully I can make a god image out of this ^.^ I'm also doing this image because I've never drawn any characters in shadow with only some light touching them. So It will be interesting to see if it comes out alright. The Anthro is supposed to be sitting on something (Maybe a rock? I'm not sure yet) looking up at the moon and stars.

The trees were me just being random. I'm going to make some tree silhouettes against the night sky :) (Or because the sky is so black I'll have light touching some branches to make them visible) I'll probably use the smudge brush on the stars to make them look better.

I better do some math now. I have to finish a chapter of math before I go back to school.

Edit: Tried some colour and shadows and added a new bone structure as a guideline:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:42:48 am by Sciex »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »
Looks good. Stick figures are a good way to work out
body poses.  I generally do it that way.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »
Looks good. Stick figures are a good way to work out
body poses.  I generally do it that way.
I think Instead of finishing that Pic I'll try to do some Anthro drawings that take up most of the image so I can work on adding detail (Hopefully with some different poses).  I can't work on any of my art currently. I've got so much work ^.^

Hopefully I can pull off the following image > Anthro steampunk. I love Steampunk and the furry fandom. So I'll try to combine them :)

I want a tophat so bad it's not funny :/

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 03:09:37 am »
that last picture looks great i cant wait to see how it turns out. im still getting jealous that you are getting better than me.... if you don't stop im going to be forced to.... i have no idea what i could do...... this is so unfair D:

wait you have you work... HA!! wait i still don't have an art tablet... this sucks.....   

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 05:04:34 am »
that last picture looks great i cant wait to see how it turns out. im still getting jealous that you are getting better than me.... if you don't stop im going to be forced to.... i have no idea what i could do...... this is so unfair D:

wait you have you work... HA!! wait i still don't have an art tablet... this sucks.....   
It's ok. I wont be doing much art :/ I got the terrible terrors of distance education. I probably won't work on that picture for quite a bit of time though.

Offline SkyFire

• Species: Pheonus Vulneras
  • The Sky is grey, for my Rose did fade away.
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 12:51:58 am »
Hey sciex, have you succeeded? The title of the thread is 'Sciex ATTEMPTS to get better at art'. I think you have, but do you? Don't be modest, be honest.
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 02:33:19 am »
Hey sciex, have you succeeded? The title of the thread is 'Sciex ATTEMPTS to get better at art'. I think you have, but do you? Don't be modest, be honest.
I have improved a lot compared to where I started before I made this thread. I think I can still get a lot better with some practice. I haven't been able to do art lately because of school :(

I will work on some art now since I have the time :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:39:25 am by Sciex »

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:48 am »
Good, just checking.  :) It doesnt matter what other people say, but what YOU honestly think of your work and stuff in life. if every body says you're absolutely amazing, but you think you stink, then you will stink until you believe you dont stink. You cant experience true success until YOU think YOU have earned it.
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 04:51:52 am »
Good, just checking.  :) It doesnt matter what other people say, but what YOU honestly think of your work and stuff in life. if every body says you're absolutely amazing, but you think you stink, then you will stink until you believe you dont stink. You cant experience true success until YOU think YOU have earned it.
Thanks allot :) I have been having a bit of doubt on how well I do art ^.^

Yay! I'm starting developing my Fursona/Fursuit design (If I do get a fursuit. It won't be any time soon)

Template can be found here: http://forums.furtopia.org/fursuits-and-plushies/need-fursuit-character-reference-sheet-read-here/
Aww. It's so cute :D

I will create a few colour designs and see which ones I like best :)

It's a wip progress. So I haven't decided on the colours or any markings etc. Feel free to give me any suggestions or comments :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:43:53 am by Sciex »

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »
hehe, thats the same template i used.
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 04:04:45 am »
Ok. Here's how the first version came out. I'm create a few different colour schemes:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:44:06 am by Sciex »

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
you like green dont you?
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »
you like green dont you?
Yep  :) I started liking light green even since I gave my Runescape character green hair instead of brown. I think this was maybe 2010 or something? I haven't played that game in ages (Started playing in 2007). I have an account whose total level is over 1600  (:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:34:35 pm by Sciex »

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 07:05:56 pm »
Ok. Here is the second colour scheme that I have made:

I based this one off my avatar.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:44:16 am by Sciex »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 11:55:27 am »
I like the last one best. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:22 pm »
10K post club.

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 12:10:50 am »
Thanks  (: I think the green makes a good contrast against the black.

Hmm. I'll start a poll to see which one is better. I'll probably make some bright coloured designs as well though ^.^

Possible colours for future designs:
Light green (Fluro)
Light blue
White
Black
Yellow
Red
Orange (fluro optional as a highlight)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:34:53 am by Sciex »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »
Either fursuit design is ok, but if it were me, I'd go with the grey. Simply because a black suit design will make you hotter since black will attract sunlight and heat like a sponge.  x_x You'll end up cooking yourself to death in a black furred fursuit.

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:33 am »
Either fursuit design is ok, but if it were me, I'd go with the grey. Simply because a black suit design will make you hotter since black will attract sunlight and heat like a sponge.  x_x You'll end up cooking yourself to death in a black furred fursuit.
:O We don't want that to happen

Offline Miser

• Passive Vengeance.
  • Male
    • Furraffinity
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:15 pm »
Hey. I'm not sure if this thing is still open, but anyway, I have some tips, or should I say, I see you making some mistakes that I did too, and still do, but sometimes are hard to understand and make a huge difference.

- Some of the poses there seem to stiff and artificial. The "simplified body" seems to be better in this aspect,  since it's more dynamic and less symmetrical. Arms just falling down are unnatural, put them on the pockets, on the air, on the waist, on someone else's face, it's all good. If you notice, even the ref picture you posted for colors doesn't have the arms just falling down. That goes for the legs too, and even the collarbones.

- Clothing doesn't usually sit so perfectly to the body. Add some wrinkles here and there and try to add volume. Don't use the same line for the neck and the shirt, add a little bump on the shirt to indicate that it's actually sitting on top of the skin.

- I remember reading this many-a-years ago, and it stuck to me since. When drawing wolf eyes, and I do so for pretty much every furry eyes, There's this black tear like shape near the front, going in the direction of the muzzle. I think it comes to preference, but I think it's always good, even if it's just a tiny bit. If you look closely on your reference picture for the colors you can make it out.

- This one is something that I learned recently too, and it makes a huge difference for me. Unless it's heavily stylized, you want the neck to be the same width as the head until it reaches the collarbone. There's a muscle behind the neck, the  trapezius, which gives it it's triangular shape. Those are the lines that will connect to the shoulder.

- The shoulder structure also seems to be misplaced. Males have wider shoulders, yes, but the drawings don't distinguish where the trapezius muscle ends and the shoulders begin. On your simplified body you did circles for the shoulders, You should make them a little bigger and actually go around it instead of going straight. That will also go for the joints, and arms/legs. There should be a clear definition on where the joints are, and even on the rest of the limb, the width isn't constant so it would be good to check some basic anatomy to spot these parts and make them more believable. I am working on this part myself.

You can see bellow how the trapezius muscle works behind the neck, and how it connects with the shoulder, which has its own lump of muscle tissue.

Another great thing that I'm trying to implement recently is, the width of the torso isn't constant either. If you draw a line from the head to both ends of the hips, and one from the middle of the pelvis to both shoulders you should have the basis for the torso bends.

I made some lines at the drawing I'm working on pointing out some of the things I mentioned, which I found out quite recently myself, so more training is required.

I also hope I didn't seem to harsh or mean, I just try to make a direct approach. I wish you luck on your endeavor.

I also don't own any of the pictures here except for the last one.

If I could have ANYTHING in the world, I would like a sandwich.

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 10:18:59 pm »
It's fine. I appreciate the advice and the time you took to write it :) Hopefully I can implement some of the things you mentioned next time I do some drawing. I don't really know to draw the creases in shirts and stuff to show they are sitting on the body. I've had some difficulty last time I tried it. I'll probably just have to practice it. Thanks Miser :)

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 05:33:33 am »
Here's a random drawing I'm working on  :) (sorry for the blurry image. I just took the pic with my webcam)

I did it without actual references to clothing. So it may look a bit odd. It's a wip so hopefully I'll make something good out of it. I really need to work on clothing folds. (I'll look at some ref photos)

One of my friends made the comment that he had shark hands XD Which is funny because it looks like it (It's just simplified hands that I draw before I add detail). I drew the black outline because I'm going to trace the drawing onto better paper to work on.

I'm not to sure what I'm going to do with this character. I might position him differently. He's got one of the Conical hat (I really like the look of those hats. They look like they're actually functional and practical), some sort of robe with draping sleeves, draping pants (around the lower legs) and hell be wearing some geta sandals (wooden sandal things). Hopefully I can get my self to draw a character in a pose for once ^.^
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:35:04 am by Sciex »