Author Topic: Animation Help  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Kasuni

• Species: Ocelot/Wolf
  • Female
Animation Help
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:47:57 pm »
so i have become more interested in art and pop culture recently. Mostly by the fact that i have realized i not only love drawing and acting, but i have an extreme respect for fan cultures, as nothing along the lines of entertainment can exist without fans. i have also been influence by Monty Oum, may he rest in peace.

so i career path i have been leaning towards recently was, animator. i was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips on how to get started, or programs to use for animation. i already have Blender. i prefer 2D animation but any advice on anything would be helpful, even art tips on how to draw better. thanks!

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
Re: Animation Help
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:42:23 am »
I may have some pdf files from when I took a traditional animation class that might be useful for a starting point. Let me know if you're interested.

A good book to look out for would be "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:12:24 pm by Elusive »

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 04:32:23 am »
There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. Don Bluth (director of "American Tail", "Secret of NIMH", etc.) has done some that I've seen. I want to get into doing some animation myself :).

I took a class once where I did actual hand-drawn (it added up to a few seconds at the end of the semester), but that was like 13 years ago. Also, sadly, I accidentally left my animation pegboard at a bus stop and never saw it again.

DA         FA

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:13:31 pm »
Animation like other commercial entertainment crafts usually requires a collage degree to be
hired by the larger studios.

Animation is a fine thing to get into. Now days we have computers that go along way in
making animation less tedious. As said read up on it and check out the tutorials. You might
email some of the big studios to see what they they look for in a artist.

It's a competive business, but I imagine they are always looking for talented artists.

A suggestion though. Make a few animated gifs, or with flash. It would be good
way to gain some experience.  Check the internet for software. Stop motion
animation with puppets can be fun too. Most movie makeing software has an option
to group stills to make an animation.

Best of luck.. :orbunny:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:39:28 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:31:45 am »
I also highly recommend "The Animator's Survival Kit".
It's written with traditional hand draw animation in mind. But most the stuff it talks about is useful for any form of animation.

Also, watching well done animations frame by frame can sometimes tell you a lot about tricks and such that they use. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:34:07 am by Yip »