Author Topic: Elusive Drawing Improvements  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
Elusive Drawing Improvements
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:25:15 pm »
I’ve been thinking lately that I should just focus on sketching things for a while to improve my drawing skills. Also, I’ve gotten some new mechanical pencils and this would be a good opportunity to break them in. So, If you have anything you wish to see me sketch post here. Even though they will be sketches, feel free to give some critique.

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
Re: Elusive Drawing Improvements
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:30:03 pm »
Hmm try Mt.Kilimanjaro that's a good start. Could you possibly try to sketch Amducious' in his feral form? You don't have to if you don't want to.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:34:01 pm by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:36:16 pm »
Hmm try Mt.Kilimanjaro that's a good start. Could you possibly try to sketch Amducious' in his feral form? You don't have to if you don't want to.

I did manage to do a sketch of Mt. Kilimanjaro, a decent sketch of Amducious' feral form on the other hand is proving difficult for me. I will continue trying though.

When I went camping this past weekend I took some pictures of the clouds and later did some quick sketches of the things I saw. These are what came of it so far:

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:57:47 pm »
That's actually pretty good! I like how you got  Mt.Kilimanjaro in the background with the trees, nicely done! No worries on Amducious also you can check WhiteAkita's art page for a bigger pic of him(it's totally fine if you need time or anything. No rush just try your best :) ) Also the sketches when you went camping are pretty good with the stances and poses

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 12:01:57 pm »
Drawing is mostly about practice. The more the better. Anything you
feel is difficult is the good to work on.

Of course you want to draw for fun too. I used to sit and draw about every
evening after work. Heads, hands, ears, feet. ect.. Some for practice
some for fun like rabbits, foxes, raccoons, skunks. Mostly anthro characters.

Your doing fine, keep up the good work. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »
Took a few tries Amducious but I think I got it in the end. On second thought, upon previewing this post I seem to have accidentally given you two right paws, I'll have to fix that.
Old Version

Edit: Fixed the paws. I do have one question though, based on the viewing angle should some of the back legs be seen?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:08:37 pm by Elusive »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »
It's fine we all mistakes. He looks very happy, thanks it looks nice!!  :) :) :)

Offline Miser

• Passive Vengeance.
  • Male
    • Furraffinity
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 01:24:21 pm »
     Not wanting to get too off topic here, but I believe some of those images could go with some retouching for the brightness and contrast. Some of them seem too bright, or you can't make out the lines. A simple image editing software like GIMP could fix them right up.
     I always had trouble with that, both in school and for my current works. I always rush my work when I'm near completion and that makes a sloppy result. I think getting an well presented image is as important as the image itself.
     As for the actual drawings, I think everyone who attempts to draw characters would do well with some anatomy lessons, on the internet or otherwise. It may seem boring, but the human anatomy applies in more cases than just humans. Most animals use similar bone and muscle structure albeit with different proportions, and I noticed when browsing trough some monster concept arts, they also seem to base heavily on the human form, although extremely exaggerated.
     I found this website recently with lots of references, there may be some mature references there, it's anatomy after all, but it seems to have very good information for all skill levels.
If I could have ANYTHING in the world, I would like a sandwich.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »
I could be wrong, but it appears you used a digital camera so you could post them. In reference
to the contrast mentioned above. It generally takes good lighting for the contrast to show
well with photography.  I have noticed most cell phone pictures of drawings in average light tend
to show paper with a greyish tint. This makes sketches harder to see.

You might find someone with a scanner. which should do better with contrast..Or you can use a
paint program to  enhance the contrast.

This is only a suggestion.. Keep up the good work. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:23:40 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »
Old Rabbit you are correct with them being a photo, the reason they are is because I tried to scan them first but was unsuccessful in getting any decent scans. I also did make adjustments in photoshop, so I think the end result was me just not darkening the lines enough on paper. Recently however, I've manged to get a hold of some line art pens and a small intuos  pen tablet. I still have yet to figure out the best way to scan pencil drawn images though, especially those with color.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 12:34:40 pm »
Ok on the photo.. I don't draw on paper much any more, but you might try to seperate
the line art from the background using photoshop. Then you could layer them over
a white background. You might have to touch the lines up a bit, but might be worth
a try..

I sometimes think the newer scanners arn't as good as the old ones. I used to scan pencil
drawings all the time with one I had 16 years ago. Had lots of ajustments for contrast and
such..

Keep up the good work.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com