Author Topic: What is reasonable when asking for a commission?  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
What is reasonable when asking for a commission?
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:52:43 pm »
I want to approach a few artists about doing a commission, but I'm not sure what would be reasonable to pay. I understand this depends a lot on what I want, but do things like style, detail, background and size all play into it?

What I'm wanting done is a military portrait, similar to this: http://www.1stmaw.marines.mil/portals/65/Site%20Images/Leaders/CO/VMFA121_CO_LtCol_Rusnok.jpg?ver=2017-02-06-182159-447

Only using the characters from my story, in the uniforms of their military, with their flags, etc... The uniforms are closer to flightsuits than anything else and the background is exactly the same picture to picture. For simplicity's sake, however, let's assume I only want the first one. (so the work the artist charges for to make the background is lumped in with the first picture only).

Does anyone here know what would be reasonable to offer for this? In the future, what should I consider when giving a price to barter from?

Are there any questions I should anticipate and try to answer in my listing (aside from character descriptions)?
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: What is reasonable when asking for a commission?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:05:36 am »
A lot of artists have a pre-set price list. Ask if you can see that first. It will generally include prices for full colour shaded, flat colour, black and white, and headshot only.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:16:20 am »
Thank you!
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:06 pm »
Some artists set prices based on how many characters there are, and
if you want a background. You might get a discount if your wanting
a number of drawings.

As Loc said ask the artist who's style you like. It's not like a portrait of
a human as animal characters follow a style unless your aiming for a
feral look.

I have seen prices range from $5 for a sketch to over a $100 for a full
color painting. It depends on the artist, and what you want.

I would suggest you require a sketch prior to offering  to pay for a ful
commision. That way you know the artist understands what you want.
This is what I always did when asked to do a drawing for someone.

I would offer to help at no cost, but my vision is too poor to do you any
good.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Glycanthrope

• Species: European badger (meles meles)
  • Writer, musician, therian
  • Male
    • My SoFurry profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:11:02 pm »
I've had artists illustrate my stories on three occasions.
Prices have ranged from $80 to $100 per illustration.

You can probably get it cheaper than that, because I generally need complex drawings with multiple characters,
and many artists charge by the character. Also, color needs more work than b/w, and costs extra fur-hours.

SONA SI VOS AMAS PELLIGELLIBUS
(Honk! if you love furries)
- inscription found on the rear bumper of a roman chariot, ca 77AM

Offline DazWizzle

• Species: Human
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:00:18 am »
Look at exactly what you want as far as depth and detail go. If you want lifelike it will cost you a lot more obviously. However their are ways to save a little money depending on the artist. Look for an artist's work and choose a style (as stated above). You can even offer it out on a site like freelancer and have people bid for your work. I have done so myself in the past for voice acting and a few commissions. When it comes down to it what is the commission worth to you and is it worth the same to the artist.

Another note to take into consideration with commissions to is your country's Copyright policy. Some laws allow a Copyright to a character unless predetermined in a written agreement between yourself and the artist that you retain Copyright for your own work.

Hope this is of some use to you, I know the topic is a little out of date.
Regards,

DazWizzle

Offline Imeall

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:55:41 pm »
Bartering with artists is generally considered bad form.  They charge what they think their time is worth and almost all have price sheets.  It's more up to you to find an artist who has prices you can afford and also a style you like.  :3