0 (0%)
Get all of them.
4 (18.2%)
Don't get any.
13 (59.1%)
Other option?
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Which shot should I get?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Which shot should I get?
« on: October 23, 2009, 10:21:37 pm »
With Winter coming soon, and talk after talk about the regular flu and swine flu hitting hard this season, I've been thinking about getting shots, but I'm not sure which ones or if I should get all of them. My mother is putting pressure on me to get shots cause it seems every year I always come down sick with bronchitis or some other problem that lasts for weeks.  :P I'd like to possibly get shots, but I don't have the money till Nov. 6th. And I'm also really not sure how effective that swine flu shot would be?

P.S. - Last time I got the flu, it was about a year ago I think and was the stomach flu. I had it for probably 2-3 days.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:25:12 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: Which shot should I get?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »
Interesting question... (choosing not to vote, as this depends a lot on your situation)

Personally, I prefer just going without anything. Seems to work well enough for me. If you seem to get sick easily, I'd consider one of the flu shots, perhaps both but I feel like that might be overkill.  On the pneumonia front, I'd only consider it if you've had pneumonia before. I have, but still wouldn't bother getting a shot for it.

I dunno. I just feel like the flu isn't that big a deal, so why bother trying to edge it off with a shot?

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:45:30 pm »
Well, swine flu isn't recognized by the body as another flu and vice versa.
According to this little kaiser sheet on the regular flu vaccine I got, as well as an article on the swine flu.

I don't see any harm in getting all three, unless you have particular conditions and/or a phobia of needles. I suggest asking a doctor if you really arn't too sure.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:29:19 am »
Voted other.

This is a decision best taken up with your doctor, IMHO. Anytime it comes to taking meds, you should talk with a doctor who knows your history or you can at least explain your history to and then make informed decisions. Personally, I don't get anything. I've never had any of those problems in the past and I've never got any more than the manditory vaccines growing up as a kid. There are other people that swear by any shot they can get. Sure, I have no problem with you wanting to get some feed back, but the final decision should be made by you or you and your doc since we don't know your history.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Allie_Kat

• Female
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 01:23:32 am »
Unless a Dr you trust specifically tells you that they think it is a good idea for you personally to get one, I would say to not get any. I have gotten the seasonal flu shot twice, and both times i got the flu that year alot worse than I did other years. I have no real knowledge of the pnemonia shot so i won't try to give an opinion. The swine flu shot I think was rushed and I question just how safe it is. We are eligible to be amoung the first to get it, but we have opted not to get it ourselves, or have it given to our daughter.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:42:38 am »
I think it depends on you and your body. Ask your Dr. about it, that is the best idea. They can tell you whether it is a good idea or not; or if they think it would really even be a needed effort for you or not.

I know quite a few people who can't get them at all (allergies). I know some that they make sick, anyway(possibly allergies, again...?). And some that just have never been thought of a high enough risk to get one (really really good immune systems and such). And then many that get them every year. So, it depends.

Me? I got the standard shot already, as I do every year. And plan to go as soon as possible and get the "swine flu" vaccine as well. But! I have a lot of medical issues - mostly respiratory - already, so I am in the high risk bracket for sure. Not taking chances I don't need to take.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Tsumetaiyuki

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:17:29 am »
The one that doesnt kill you or give some horrible neurologic side effects.      That would be my vote.
Cold Heartless Cruel Nazi.

For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 05:10:35 am »
Totaly don't get the shot, be a man and get sick and fight off the virus with your bare paws : D

*coughs as he writes this messege*

: P

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:23 am »
i believe that today's healthcare overmedicates patients too much, so I'm with the camp of don't take any. This is my own personal opinion as my own health status can take it. However, my beliefs and opinions may not fit others. I just personally like to take a medication only as a last result if my own body and home remedies (Chicken soup) do not work. So if I under-medicate myself, then when I need to actually use a prescription, I do not want my body to have a built up immunity to it.

Offline Magical_HATz

• Species: Greyhound
  • Just remember, it gets better!
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:31:04 am »
I got the Flu shot and the H1N1 flu shot because my Mom told me to.

Sig Art by Me!!!, Icon by RayFkm