Author Topic: what music are you into?  (Read 34183 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
Re: what music are you into?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 09:26:47 pm »

Some of my favorite groups are: Daft Punk, Incubus, System of a Down, Muse, Orgy, Nine Inch Nails, Mindless Self Indulgence, Blink-182, No Doubt, They Might be Giants and so on...

I'm a big fan of hardcore/hardstyle dance music (closet happy hardcore admirer) and love hard house

My friends are japanese club kids, so I get a taste of all sorts of interesting things  x_x  haha

(:

Ooh, someone else who likes They Might Be Giants. Well, I guess I'm not the biggest fan ever, but most of my childhood trips involved listening to Flood! over and over, so that's something. They always reminded me of a cross between The B-52s and Bowling for Soup, but that may just be me (and I'm speaking in terms of weirdness/how they make me laugh and smile, and not so much in terms of similar sounding music). Also good there: Incubus and blink-182 :)

Offline Mimmey_Maroui

• nutella addict -_>
  • Female
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 10:12:08 pm »

Some of my favorite groups are: Daft Punk, Incubus, System of a Down, Muse, Orgy, Nine Inch Nails, Mindless Self Indulgence, Blink-182, No Doubt, They Might be Giants and so on...

I'm a big fan of hardcore/hardstyle dance music (closet happy hardcore admirer) and love hard house

My friends are japanese club kids, so I get a taste of all sorts of interesting things  x_x  haha

(:

Ooh, someone else who likes They Might Be Giants. Well, I guess I'm not the biggest fan ever, but most of my childhood trips involved listening to Flood! over and over, so that's something. They always reminded me of a cross between The B-52s and Bowling for Soup, but that may just be me (and I'm speaking in terms of weirdness/how they make me laugh and smile, and not so much in terms of similar sounding music). Also good there: Incubus and blink-182 :)

haha  (: 

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 09:07:53 am »
they might be giants??? love 'em... and i'm from the uk! lol

dr worm for presedent!!!!!
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline promagnum

• Male
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:41 pm »
Country, Old rock n roll like Carl Perkins and Elvis, and Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, stuff like that.
"You're only as fast as the driver behind you."

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 10:20:40 pm »
Lol promagnum you have the closest tastes to what I like, and we are off by about 2-3 decades. I like the older stuff too, just prefer the arena rock.

Offline Alysian Bluehoof

• *i'm back!*
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 10:41:09 pm »
nine inch nails, smile empty soul, nirvana, everclear, a perfect circle, bad religion, the pixies, ect. ect...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:44:56 pm by Alysian Bluehoof »
mah fur code---FEZ3adw A C D++ H++ M- P++ R+ T++ W- Z Sm S++ RLTI a- c++ d++ e+ f++ i+ j p++ sm s+++

i'm having avie issues... if anyone wanted to PM me to help that would be nice :) you guys changed how it worked while i was gone! :O

Offline Mangix_Pandaren

• Male
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 10:45:36 pm »
I like pretty much anything but my favorite genres now are:
Power metal, J-Rock , Anything electronica :P
Put on them big girl panties and pull em up!
Happily loving on a certain peach <3

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 10:43:19 am »
i've started loving this dude... bob florence... he's a jazz big band composer and pianist... i love my jazz big band (i play in a few) and we've played a couple of his charts before, but i just got pretty much his entire collection... he's amazing. anyone else know of him? and if so, d'you have the tune 'carmello's by the freeway' cause i can't find it anywhere!

cheers

Offline HokeyWolf

• sp00t
  • Female
    • myspace
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 11:37:13 pm »
I've gotten into alot of Christian music.  :) I LOVE all kinds of music though. LOVE electronic music, country, rap, celtic. I like anything as long as the lyrics move me.

"Cast your cares upon the Lord, for he cares about you"-Peter 5:7 (my profile icon by Hihey9989, it's Gabu!)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 12:21:23 am »
Christian music? Electronic music? Have I got the guy for you: check out Andy Hunter. Great electronic stuff with a good amount of Christian (enough for those who like it, and not too much to bother those who don't).

Offline HokeyWolf

• sp00t
  • Female
    • myspace
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 03:44:07 pm »
Christian music? Electronic music? Have I got the guy for you: check out Andy Hunter. Great electronic stuff with a good amount of Christian (enough for those who like it, and not too much to bother those who don't).
WOW! Thanks! I'll check it out! Much appriciated!  :) ^_^

"Cast your cares upon the Lord, for he cares about you"-Peter 5:7 (my profile icon by Hihey9989, it's Gabu!)

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 04:08:43 pm »
however... he's from the uk, and tbh, i find his music really difficult to find.

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Male
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 04:29:42 pm »
i find his music really difficult to find.
You can buy all of his albums in DRM-free MP3 form at Amazon MP3 (this to anyone else who might also have trouble finding or buying the music).

Last.fm Tumblr SoFurry Weasyl

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 04:32:15 pm »
Haha, I never even know how to describe my music tastes-- I listen to so many different things, and I'm constantly trying out new sounds. I made a list on my Facebook profile a while ago, though, of my top 25 favorite classical composers and my top 25 favorite modern musicians.

Classical Music Top 25 (more or less in order):

Dmitri Shostakovich, Gustav Mahler, Ludwig van Beethoven, Antonín Dvořák, Jean Sibelius, Igor Stravinsky, Arvo Pärt, Witold Lutosławski, Benjamin Britten, Camille Saint-Saëns, Robert Schumann, Arnold Schönberg, George Gershwin, Maurice Ravel, Edgar Meyer, Giacomo Puccini, Sergei Prokofiev, Felix Mendelssohn, Anton Webern, Richard Strauss, Franz Schubert, Samuel Barber, György Ligeti, François Poulenc, Einojuhani Rautavaara

Normal-People Music Top 25 (more or less in order):

Animal Collective, Ben Folds, The Dresden Dolls, Tom Waits, DeVotchKa, Joanna Newsom, Estradasphere, Mirah, Gogol Bordello, Pretty Balanced, Fleet Foxes, Architecture in Helsinki, Motion City Soundtrack, Hanne Hukkelberg, Rilo Kiley, The Beach Boys, Muse, Billy Joel, Moxy Früvous, Great Big Sea, Reel Big Fish, Jonathan Coulton, Queen, They Might Be Giants, The Velvet Underground
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:34:35 pm by Arbutus »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 07:23:02 pm »
however... he's from the uk, and tbh, i find his music really difficult to find.

Who, Andy Hunter? Nonsense, all his albums are on iTunes. It's where I got them (in fact it was easier to get them there as opposed to anywhere else). And if you want the physical CD, like C1PH3R said, there's always Amazon (picked up Life from there, great buy).

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:54 am »
grrr... itunes lol

and i don;t like buying cd's from amazon... i've had super furry animals - mwng waiting for two weeks now

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »
Two weeks? Hah! I had an Over the Hedge book on order for over a year before they finally said (in a way) "Sorry, but there's simply no chance of that item ever showing up" and I got a refund. So, some problems on that site, but apart from that it's all been good.

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 03:01:23 pm »
^ over a year??? did you not just completely forget about it? lol... i've nearly forgotten about the cd

Offline Juno

• In your X Ying your Zs
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 11:46:44 am »
I think everyone who has posted in this thread has named one or two bands i like. Im a music major so its almost a requierment that i have a broad taste, and well i do for the most part(not to big into top 20 type stuff or modern country). Im mostly into Psycidelic and Jam rock though. The Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Phish, The Mars Volta (call them prog if you will,at the end of the day I still think they rock). anything that invokes the image of tye dye and hippies lol. Arbutus your classical tastes are pretty close to mine actully. Im a big fan of Bartok and that whole 20th centruy school of composition my self. I really like how he mixes the tonal with the atonal so well. That said i dont care for Shonberg that much i could never get into the whole Twelve Tone thing(i rember you used to have something about it in your sig), Maby i just need to listen to more of his stuff.
A MEMBER OF THE MIDNIGHT CREW... ♠

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »
12 tone? d'you mean serialism? i know about that where you take all twelve notes of an octave and arrange them, then base a composition on that. it was ok, but got a bit random after a while

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 05:34:16 pm »
An octave has eight notes: eight tones (do re mi fa sol la ti do), but I guess you're adding four half-tones to it.
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
aye... twelve notes... chromatic scale

Offline Tevnon

• Male
    • Tevnon's Web Site
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2008, 05:57:13 pm »
Well, I've liked Celtic music quite a lot since I learned what it was back when I was a teen-ager. I didn't used to like music from here in the USA. It was nothing against our country or anything; popular music just happened to go through some phases I strongly disliked. For example in the 80's when I was growing up virtually every singer out there would sing with this raspy hoarse voice that sounded like someone trying to sing with laryngitis. I never liked that, to the point I could hardly stand to hear it. Then that sound slowly faded away, only to be replaced by hopelessness and depression. For the longest time American music was just too depressing for my tastes, so I never listened to it. Meanwhile the few rock genres I remember from my youth were diversifying and developing into the rainbow of diverse rock genres around today. I did not follow this happening as music was still not to my tastes at the time. Then it got better. Finally, music is no longer strictly about hopeless heartbreak and wanting to slit your wrists. The way this all played out makes it difficult for me to specify what rock sub-genres I like as I do not yet know how to tell the  difference between what is Indie, what is Thrash, What is whatchamacallit, or what.

I've also been trying to get into Zydeco as I grew up and live in Louisiana and it seems silly to ignore the local folk-music form going on practically in my back yard.

Sometimes I also like to get on the internet and look for music from far away countries just to see what their stuff sounds like. Some of it is quite good, some of it not so much. Modern pop Zulu music I find interesting, for example.
"I worry less about embarrassment than about missing an opportunity."-Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline shakuhachi

• Male
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:35 pm »
I always get dumb with hyphy. But i always play music from old games like chrono cross.

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2008, 02:28:12 pm »
I always get dumb with hyphy. But i always play music from old games like chrono cross.
You might like OC Remix, then.
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!