Author Topic: learning to growl, bark etc  (Read 17357 times)

Offline MoonlightSerenity

• Female
Re: learning to growl, bark etc
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »
I can whimper and do a deep throaty growl (the growl hurts though :( ) I've been told I've got a good baaah and moo. I sometimes yelp as well. But I've been around animals a lot so I guess I just picked it up from there.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 02:11:03 am »
I've always growled/snarled when I got really p... uh, angry. To me it's just a natural thing, nothing to do with furry. It was swearing instead that I had to learn... though sometimes I'll still growl, or swear in a growling voice.

Barking on the other hand I did learn as a child. I used to use it to mess with dogs, and I could imitate a few different size ranges of dog at the time. Confused the hell out of them lol. Haven't done it in over half my life now and no idea if I still could. Not sure about howling... there's nowhere here to try it without people thinking I've gone mad (er).
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Wolfcoon

• Pikachu!
  • Female
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
My barks sound like various different canines. (:  I can howl pretty good because when ever I'm happy I stomp my foot and howl to the sky! :D When I'm mad I growl and snarl. it's just instinct. Also when ever I'm mad, like seriously mad, I do that thing bulls do, I release all the air from my nose( Like when cartoon bulls release the steam from their noses when there mad) I whimper really good cause I always do it. :P Oh and I yelp!
Fursona name: Mimki Wolf I'm a Gray Wolf

Pokemon is and always has been my favorite Show!

Furries Unite!! X3

Keep Calm And Eat Tacos.

Yesterday was history, Tomorrow is a mystery, and Today is a gift, that's why it's called "Present.

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:09 am »
I can howl pretty well (I think) but I is kitty so I try to meow and it's getting better (:  I've always been able to make sounds and voices, but I wanna purr! How does one purr?
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Wolfcoon

• Pikachu!
  • Female
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 10:01:05 am »
I can howl pretty well (I think) but I is kitty so I try to meow and it's getting better (:  I've always been able to make sounds and voices, but I wanna purr! How does one purr?

Well for me( even though I'm a Wolf) I put my tongue on the roof of my mouth and let it vibrate. Then you just kinda make a purring like noise. That's what works for me and it sounds pretty realistic! :D   
Fursona name: Mimki Wolf I'm a Gray Wolf

Pokemon is and always has been my favorite Show!

Furries Unite!! X3

Keep Calm And Eat Tacos.

Yesterday was history, Tomorrow is a mystery, and Today is a gift, that's why it's called "Present.

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »

Well for me( even though I'm a Wolf) I put my tongue on the roof of my mouth and let it vibrate. Then you just kinda make a purring like noise. That's what works for me and it sounds pretty realistic! :D   

this

meowing is a forte of mine, and im attempting roars... tends to fail, unless i do dragon roar, cant roar like lion... guess panthers never need to roar...
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline DarkDemon

• It's not popuri!!
  • Female
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »
I can howl really really well! And I can do growls too. But, I'm still working on my barks. I can do amazing kitty moews and that funny churr sound the mommys make when they talk to babies, plus I can chirp like kittens and make my evil cat think I have a kitten. She's not so evil when she is preggers, I don't get it... I can rawr pretty well, I just can't put an name to the animal I'm imitating...
I just got mai computer fixed!! :D :3
Surrender the peanuts!
ScourgeFur on DeviantArt! :D
:goldlaugh:

Offline momtofurry

• Mom to ArticShadow
  • Female
    • http://againstthemain.com/
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 12:50:28 am »
I actually purr pretty good. Purring is my favorite!  :)
“To have a full stomach, to daze lazily in the sunshine--such things were remuneration in full for his adors and toils, while his ardors and toils were in themselves self-remunerative. They were expressions of life, and life is always happy when it is expressing itself.”
― Jack London, White Fang

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »

How do you purr? I'm still struggling to get it down :P
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »
For some odd reason, I can only purr when I'm laying on my back. :o Might have somethig to do with gravity... I dunno.
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Nagi

• Species: Spider
  • I'm a spider now :3
  • Female
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »
I can meow quite well, my mom thinks im one of the cats sometimes when i meow(only difference is that im louder). I can growl well to(makes my dog flinch). Still learning to bark and howl, i did a good realistic bark about a week ago out the window got the dogs barking out side :goldthpt:

Id say just watch, listen, and observe the animal and keep practicing
its easy for me cause iv been mimicking them since i could talk, mainly cat stuff though since the dog i grew up with barked and growled very rarely
I really need to come here more often XP

Offline momtofurry

• Mom to ArticShadow
  • Female
    • http://againstthemain.com/
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:28 pm »

How do you purr? I'm still struggling to get it down :P

Well, I think I cheat. I use my tongue.  :P
“To have a full stomach, to daze lazily in the sunshine--such things were remuneration in full for his adors and toils, while his ardors and toils were in themselves self-remunerative. They were expressions of life, and life is always happy when it is expressing itself.”
― Jack London, White Fang

Offline ArticShadow

• Female
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:49 pm »
I kinda mimmeked my bark from other dogs and wolves, but it could use some work. With a growl that could use a little work, but my sharp and suden growl is perfect. :D I kinda lerned how to growl myself. (:
Icon done by FluffyFennecx3 off FA.

Offline Flyntz

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 12:02:09 am »
I've been trying to "yip" for a while, but no matter what I do  it usually comes up with a weird quirky noise  :P

Offline ArticShadow

• Female
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 11:32:44 am »
I've been trying to "yip" for a while, but no matter what I do  it usually comes up with a weird quirky noise  :P

Same here. :P
Icon done by FluffyFennecx3 off FA.

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 05:20:24 pm »
I have purfected my sleepy "mmrrrrrrrrrrrow"! :D
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline EmmaCornell

• Time to bake cupcakes!
  • Female
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »
I once actually watched a How-To video on howling, just to get an idea of how other people do it. Since then, I've been known for making people go pale from fright after they hear me howl :D According to my friends I've perfected my howl (:

Furry Code:
FCW3acdrs A- C- D+++ H+++ P++ R T++ W Z- Sf RLMH a- c++ d+ e- f++ h* i+ j+ p sf
To decode for you -> http://mj.ucw.cz/furry/ :)

Offline Blackrose13

• Species: Fox/wolf/corgi/other canine
  • The furry little freak
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:03 am »
In my neighborhood, I have gotten weird looks because I will bark at other peoples dogs. My whole family does animal noises though. I am wolf, but my hiss is pretty good, but I cant howl well, and my bark sounds generic.
"Snuzzles!"
Profile pic by Saiyu
pm me if you want me to make something into D&D homebrew for you (sources will be credited of course)
Official Game master status! :D
"As long as theres music, ill keep on dancing!"

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 11:47:50 pm »
I've taken to imitating the cat's meowing sometimes now. I'm not really sure how convincing it is, but the cat often responds (it doesn't meow to speech) so I'm guessing it's at least pidgin-catspeak. Now if only I knew what either of us was trying to communicate...
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 02:10:13 pm »
Noticing the "etc" in there, so I'll put some input on meowing.

To meow properly, for me, it's all in the amount of space in your mouth. When you meow, you don't necessarily work with the word "meow", it's like a squeak or "maaarrww" that changes pitch. If anyone ever tries to meow and you can't, make sure you have less space in your mouth and try to get your throat to put out a high squeak; sometimes my own voice cracks, and I have a multitude of character voices and sound effects under my belt, so it's not easy sometimes even for someone more experienced in sound effects!
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code

Offline Earth Rio

• Female
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »
I do a passable growl, yelp, and guinea pig whimper. To growl, it's like closing off your throat and then forcing the growl. I only yelp when I'm shocked, so I'm not entirely sure how I do that. As for the guinea pig whimper, I keep my mouth shut and attempt to squeak at the back of my throat in a high-pitched tone, sometimes changing pitch and length as I do. I also sometimes meow, but now very well.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:31 am »
i growl when provoked
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 12:03:23 pm »
Brief summary of something I read on a "how to growl" webpage...

1. Learn to sing before attempting something like a growl.

2. Involve the diaphragm when singing and growling, instead of putting all of the stress on your vocal chords.

3. Practice a few times before attempting a really awesome growl.

4. Drink plenty of warm water.

In my case, I don't have the deep, bassy voice for an impressive, scary sounding growl. So my attempt turns out sounding more like a small to medium feline.

My cat has this high pitched meow that I can imitate perfectly.  He then "talks" back to me. Usually, when he meows, he's wanting some more of his canned food. :)

Offline Nike Bluepaw

• Male
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »
I've tried making yipping noises like a fox, but it sounds kinda silly, so I usually settle for the words "yip" or "grrr".
The purpose of life is to give life purpose.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2012, 04:22:08 am »
I haven't done much in the way of howling, but Ziel and I did some howling at MFF during the midnight howl. We all went outside and howled at the moon (except there wasn't a moon that night x_x) :D