Author Topic: Learning to use Reason  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Learning to use Reason
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:51:09 am »
So Alsek is starting to delve into the world of DAWs starting with reason,  and eventually moving to logic and protools.  I'm only working with synths and dr.Rex atm,  as I'm just starting,  and i haven't messed with music software sense acid 3 (Lol)

Reason so far has been interesting because i already know how to set up devices and use a console IRL,  so doing it in reason has been rather intuitive.  The tricky part is that i don't play piano, (hence,  i also do not play keyboard/synth) so that bit was interesting along with the fact that i know very,  very little about theory.      x_x

Pardon the complete abuse of Dr. Rex (the drum looping).  In my defence,  i did automate some of the controls.

This is what i got to with about 45 mins of playing around.

Both links are to the same song.

most people:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1858424/songs/Reason1.wav

OCD people:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1858424/songs/Reason1b.wav

Offline Mylo

Re: Learning to use Reason
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:12 pm »
Such a calming song...  :)

If it were me, I'd add some reverb to the percussion and maybe make it stereo.  The drums sound kind of distant...but if that's what you were going for then I can't argue. 

Post all the other songs you make in the future! :D I would enjoy hearing them!

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:35 am »
my advice would be... learn theory. :)

it's not remotely difficult to teach yourself, and you will suddenly realise just how important and useful it is. if you don't have any creative ideas, doing things that just 'work' in theory terms is a very good thing to fall back on and will in turn give you newer and more exciting ideas.

that said, neither of these two links are working for me, so i can't give you any advice on the tune. though i have a degree in creative music technology, i'm not a good person to ask seeing as i have almost no interest in music technology anymore. but i will say that learning theory is something that all musicians, be they electronic or classically trained, should do, because it's so so -so- useful. you don't have to become master of the keyboards or anything like that, but knowing what you're doing musically is the first step.
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:36:30 am »
If it were me, I'd add some reverb to the percussion and maybe make it stereo.  The drums sound kind of distant...but if that's what you were going for then I can't argue.

There is reverb on the percussion, that's what makes it sound distant. :p

But I agree, I think the song is too minimalist to have the percussion not being a bit wider. If you hit me up on MSN some time, I may be able to (try to) help. Or you could harrass Mr Down (He's really good at this stuff, even if he's not interested in it anymore :p).

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

There is reverb on the percussion, that's what makes it sound distant. :p

But I agree, I think the song is too minimalist to have the percussion not being a bit wider. If you hit me up on MSN some time, I may be able to (try to) help. Or you could harrass Mr Down (He's really good at this stuff, even if he's not interested in it anymore :p).

i'm honestly not very good at it. i haven't done anything DAW based in well over a year

Offline McMajik

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »
Okay, you were good at it BACK IN THE DAY

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 07:30:01 pm »
Okay, you were good at it BACK IN THE DAY

i'll roll with that, even if i do still dispute it.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:17 pm »
This is what i got to with about 45 mins of playing around.

Right.  So just to point out,  I'm sure I'll improve drastically.   That was just from my first 45 mins or so of using the program period. First time opening it. Mind you,  i haven't played with this kind of software sense i was like 11.    xP

The drums did sound pretty weird... I probably shouldn't have used automated pitch correction,  reverb,  and an LFO connected to a filter on them all at the same time.   O.o

Offline McMajik

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 11:50:26 am »
The drums did sound pretty weird... I probably shouldn't have used automated pitch correction,  reverb,  and an LFO connected to a filter on them all at the same time.   O.o[/color]

...pitch correction, on the drums? o.O

Is the reverb on the drums an insert? If the drum channel is mono, then you may want to run the reverb on a stereo send channel, to give it a bit more width. (I have no idea how this would be done in Reason though, you'll have to work that one out yourself)

Still, hit me up on MSN! I love talking about music production to people. :p

Offline leopennworks

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:53:53 am »
Heeeeey..... you forgot Ableton! Given, I'm horribly biased (having used the software for 8 years or so), but I seriously think Ableton's one of the best DAWs out there. It's nice because it allows for expansion into more nit-picky/ground up writing styles whilst still being accessible to the fledgling computer musician. Also, I definitely do NOT have a good link to a torrent for it... <o.o>

Offline Alsek

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 11:15:22 pm »
okay,  got a couple more hours with it recently.  Haven't been able to play because i have to go into the lab and i don't have enough time to do that.  x_x

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1858424/reason2.wav

Mild improvement from the last.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:48:28 pm by Alsek »

Offline Mylo

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 12:28:56 am »
I've tried out Logic, Reason, Ableton, Cubase, Garageband (if that counts), and a few iPhone apps.  And out of all of them, I found Ableton (sorry Alsek ;) ) to be the most versatile while simultaneously providing great ease of use.  Reason's pretty good, but it'd be even better if you could plug in other instruments, especially the free ones online.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:33:02 am by Mylo »

Offline Alsek

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 01:26:35 am »
?

You're comparing apples to oranges.  Reason isn't really even a DAW.   O.o

Given the choice i'd be using probably a combination of reason and protools.

Also,  didn't start the thread to debate software.  x3

Offline Mylo

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 01:38:37 am »
I know...just thought I'd add that. :)  With the latest iteration, it's pretty much turned into a DAW, if a low-featured one at that.  I never used Pro Tools, though.

Back on topic.  8)

Your songs all have a spacey feel to them.  Kinda reminds me of Brian Eno, but with percussion.  How long did it take you to do all this?  Do you mind posting a screen shot of the rack?  Also, if you don't mind, I've made a few amateur songs myself if you want to hear and critique them (considering the fact that you're interested in the stuff).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:42:37 am by Mylo »