Author Topic: Cloud Storage vs Flash Drives  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Mylo

Cloud Storage vs Flash Drives
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
Recently, I've been noticing more and more people abandoning flash drives and instead using online cloud storage such as Dropbox for the transport of files.  How many of you still use flash drives?  Have you fully embraced cloud storage options?  Which do you find to be more convenient?  Which do you use the most often?

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
Re: Cloud Storage vs Flash Drives
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:38:32 pm »
I will not now, nor will I ever trust my personal files, work, art, or anything to the whim of some 3rd party.
All my data is stored on physically owned portable hard drives, flash drives, memory cards, CD's/DVD's/BD's, etc.

At most, I will only use 3rd party services to make something accessible for download. Like a game demo, or song that I made and want others to see and hear.
But never as a means of true storage or backup.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:42:23 pm by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:41:22 pm »
Who still uses flash drives?
*raises paw*

They're practically a required tool for work.

Though in school, I never used a flash drive. Or cloud storage. I would just access my computer remotely from the network and grab whatever I needed from there.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 12:46:18 am »
It depends on what i'm using it for...  Often times... If i REALLY need to be sure i have access to the data,  i'll do both so that there's a contingency if one fails.

I like google drive and dropbox for hosting images that i can link on forums.  They're easier for sending files to friends.

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:59:04 am »
it depends. for robotics we use dropbox se we all can add new stuff, edit programs on our public folder. i use photobucket for image hosting. but i never store the original on a cloud location. always on a flash drive or hard drive. and i carry an 8GB flashdrive everywhere, mainly for school.
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:17:46 am »
The front usb ports of my case aren't plugged in and my USB hub thing fell off the back of my desk. So I have no choice but to use dropbox D:

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:21:06 am »
I still occasionally use floppy discs :|
Really important stuff goes on CDs or a tape, things that I just need to move elsewhere or give to someone else go on a flash drive or my old MP3 player (which broke and can't play music any more but can still hold a few files for transfer). If I want a group of people to have easy access to something unimportant, I'll use dropbox or flickr or the likes.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:40 am »
USB drives/NAS devices for me.

However
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:18 pm »
Recently, I've been noticing more and more people abandoning flash drives and instead using online cloud storage such as Dropbox for the transport of files.  How many of you still use flash drives?  Have you fully embraced cloud storage options?  Which do you find to be more convenient?  Which do you use the most often?

I keep my data local and secured.  The problem i with dropbox or any cloud storage is  your data  is at the mercy of another company. The company  can data mine personal data for advertizes,  or the company goes bankrupt or shuts down and your data is gone and you are  out of luck.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:56 pm »
I don't really trust cloud storage as well.  I mean, what if it rains?  :D

Offline Scupper

• Species: Fox dog thingy.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 06:46:23 pm »
I've had my own server for a long time. Linux is easy (for me-cant speak for everyone) to set up and secure. If you virtualize your OS in a parallel environment then there you have it's a "cloud". If you just have a parallel system, than that just gives you a bunch of computing power. Back up to a mirrored raid storage and there you have it. Redundant computing power with mirrored drives and redundant backup. The trick is setting up your SELINUX permissions and making sure that you keep unused ports closed. It's also good to not use the default ports for the services you want to use. say using 4355 rather than 22 for ssh. yeah you need to use :~$ ssh -p 4355 user@host but it works.

Even with all that stuff I talked about above. I still have two hardware encrypted flash drives that I cary around. Unless I secured it I don't trust it.
And truthfully I've been out of the game for so long what I know may not be good enough any more.
=;3
You know these people. They go to sleep, they think everything’s fine, everything’s good.... Then they wake up and they're on fire.

Offline Graywolf440

• Male
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 09:57:03 pm »
I've had my own server for a long time. Linux is easy (for me-cant speak for everyone) to set up and secure. If you virtualize your OS in a parallel environment then there you have it's a "cloud". If you just have a parallel system, than that just gives you a bunch of computing power. Back up to a mirrored raid storage and there you have it. Redundant computing power with mirrored drives and redundant backup. The trick is setting up your SELINUX permissions and making sure that you keep unused ports closed. It's also good to not use the default ports for the services you want to use. say using 4355 rather than 22 for ssh. yeah you need to use :~$ ssh -p 4355 user@host but it works.

Even with all that stuff I talked about above. I still have two hardware encrypted flash drives that I cary around. Unless I secured it I don't trust it.
And truthfully I've been out of the game for so long what I know may not be good enough any more.
=;3
Sorry you lost me. I usually will use flash drives, but I will sometimes use the 40 gigs of google drive space that my school bought for every student. I have always preferred storage that I can keep with me. Cloud storage, no matter how high and mighty some company says they are, is likely in some way vulnerable to some kind of attack that can jeopardize someone's data. But I'm not overly worries about that. Most company's are pretty good about their security (ssl, etc.). But it actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea to start storing my assorted amounts of junk on my computer in the cloud. Instantly accessible anywhere I go :)

Offline Scion Tyven

• Male
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »
Personally, I'm extremely forgetful all the time, so having something that I can access on the go whenever and wherever is really really nice.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." - Steven Erikson

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:29:35 am »
i use flash drives. no idea how to use that cloud stuff...

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:04:22 pm »
I don't trust Cloud storage. What if they decide to shut down or hacked. Or if you loose
your internet connection. I doubt they would send everyone a dvd/dvd's with their data
on them. I will use one for data that has little or no value as a convenience, but nothing
important.
oldrabbit.com