Author Topic: Fursuit designs banned or not allowed?  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Fursuit designs banned or not allowed?
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:14:35 pm »
Here's something I've never thought of before, but it kinda got me curious to ask. In the 12-13 years I've been in the fandom, I've read about and seen all manner of different types, styles, colors, and sizes of fursuits. Not just hundreds, but thousands of different types.  :o People can be very creative and imaginative with how a fursuit is designed and created.

But I got to wondering: Are there any fursuit designs, concepts, styles, etc. that would not be allowed or banned for various reasons? I already know that it is generally frowned upon if a person copied another person's fursuit, and I know making fursuits of copyrighted characters (Disney, etc.) is also not advised. But are there any other reasons? Has anyone ever heard of any other stories where a fursuit design could not be used/created for various reasons?

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
Re: Fursuit designs banned or not allowed?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:11:24 pm »
would murr suits be  banned?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:23:17 pm »
would murr suits be  banned?

That might depend on the situation and location the suits were used for/at.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:52:10 am »
You can have anything you want made. However any suit showing reproductive organs of any kind wont be allowed at cons.  I hear those skin tight lycra and spandex suits are frowned on as well.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:36:03 pm »
You can have anything you want made. However any suit showing reproductive organs of any kind wont be allowed at cons. 
I've seen female fursuits with breasts that weren't banned at cons.

I hear those skin tight lycra and spandex suits are frowned on as well.
Those are called "zentai suits". I have 5 of them at home, and only wear them at home. Yes, they are frowned upon at cons, but I don't think I've ever heard of them being banned to my knowledge. Some people wear them cause they don't want to wear an extremely  hot and cumbersome fursuit. There are other reasons, but I can't mention them here.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »
Breasts are fine. Breasts with nipples will get you walked to the door. Groin area reproductive organs would get you in a heap of trouble at a con.  There was a suiter who had all the female parts showing on a black fursuit. There is pictures on the web. I don't have them book marked.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »
I would see it hard to see a snake fursuit, I mean with no legs and no arms, if not it would probably be some other reptilian but a snake? I don't know about that.
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:11:10 am »
I know at some anime con Pedobear suits not allowed.

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:43:17 pm »
Well, I heard of something being frowned upon and what not before... o-o but not really "banned" or "not allowed". I know anyone can make ANY type of suit they want. They just hafta be careful from time to time about WHERE =p they can wear their suit, I would think.... xD I wouldn't know though.

The one I knew that was frowned upon would be a fursuit that was made to look like a confederate flag ... hmm, dunno what happen to the suit or anything though. Made me wonder about how peeps would act towards a swastika O.o or something.

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:46:14 pm »
The one I knew that was frowned upon would be a fursuit that was made to look like a confederate flag ... hmm, dunno what happen to the suit or anything though. Made me wonder about how peeps would act towards a swastika O.o or something.

A swastika would not go over very well, particuarly in Europe. And especially in Germany. Germany has banned any showing of the swastika, except for maybe some religious usage I think. It's so bad, that model kits, particuarly those of World War II German armor, ships, and aircraft, are banned from having any swastika symbols on them at contests. And worse, model kit manufacturers may not package decal sheets with swastika symbols in the boxes of model kits. If found, they are prompty removed and/or destroyed.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:52:56 pm »
Well, I heard of something being frowned upon and what not before... o-o but not really "banned" or "not allowed". I know anyone can make ANY type of suit they want. They just hafta be careful from time to time about WHERE =p they can wear their suit, I would think.... xD I wouldn't know though.

That confederate flag was walking around MFF this past December. I recall hearing that security had taken him in and told him he couldn't wear it.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:13 pm »

That confederate flag was walking around MFF this past December. I recall hearing that security had taken him in and told him he couldn't wear it.

You must mean this one:

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »
P.S. - Frankly, I see nothing wrong with wearing a Confederate flag fursuit. Just because somebody is displaying the Confederate flag symbol does NOT automatically make them a racist, bigot, etc.  It could just mean that the person is showing his "southern pride". Does that mean pride in slavery, bigotry, hatred, etc.?  No, it does not. It could just mean that he/she likes living in the South, southern hospitality, and/or other non-racist southern cultural attributes. And you can't say the person under the suit is a racist, bigot, etc. either because the person's face is hidden and nobody knows who is wearing the suit and what he/she is like.

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:48:08 pm »
A swastika would not go over very well, particuarly in Europe. And especially in Germany. Germany has banned any showing of the swastika, except for maybe some religious usage I think. It's so bad, that model kits, particuarly those of World War II German armor, ships, and aircraft, are banned from having any swastika symbols on them at contests. And worse, model kit manufacturers may not package decal sheets with swastika symbols in the boxes of model kits. If found, they are prompty removed and/or destroyed.

Wow, I never knew it was THAT bad with a swastika...!  :'( Almost makes me wonder if someone was crazy enough to wear a fursuit like that, that they may be murdered!  :( Or something really stupid like that! Even though it may be "just a symbol" it has a lot of bad meaning to it, huh?
As for that confederate flag fursuit YES! That's the one I knew of as well! It's a really cute fursuit and I didn't understand why people would mark it otherwise D=! But, I didn't really look in to WHAT the confederate flag meant either; I just thought it had something to do with the South's flag or something ... xD;

I agree wholeheartedly with what you've typed Kobuk! @///@

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 12:57:09 am »
I think anything that can offend anyone, will offend anyone...and those who don fursuits with questionable logos/markings like those you've already listed--the swastika, the Confederate flag, alluding to nudity or sexual innuendo/fetishism--would probably be banned at cons.

Most furry cons do their best to be PG-13 or at least kid friendly, with a positive vibe. I don't recall seeing a lot of questionable suits at Califur this year; a couple of years ago, a few furs were in leather bondage gear, but I don't remember them being pulled aside and reprimanded for it. I think the line between banning people and allowing people in depends heavily on the people running the con, and the rules of the area where the con is hosted.

Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 03:56:41 am »
And not all people who lived and accepted Nazi rule were terrible people either or agreed with all of the worse sides of Nazism, but they threw their lot in with those who did.

If you really like the south without the connotations of the racism, don't wear the Confederate flag. It's pretty well known it's become a symbol for all the worse parts now. Find something different. Have a pin saying "I love -state-" or something. It's not hard to show your love for a place without choosing something that has become a sign of racism and oppression.

--------

On topic, I don't think anyone should be banned from making any sort of suit they please, no matter how controversial or terribly made. Their money, their tools, they can do what they like. But then I also think the people who run a venue should have the right to throw anyone out for the suits not being suitable for the sort of atmosphere they are trying to create. Places should just draw up a guideline of suits that won't be allowed for people to see well in advance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:00:22 am by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 12:13:22 pm »
I think most people know what will likely get them walked out, but some
wish to see how far they can go or get by with.

Furry cons are or should be family friendly events since the fandom doesn't
need any more bad press than it already has.

It's supposed to be a hobby of fantasy and fun. People who wish to have
adult interactions in fursuits should keep it out of the public arena.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 11:47:42 pm »
I know a suiter who was not permitted to wear chaps with his wolf suit. He was puzzled.

Most cons adhere to a G/PG code--so blood, body fluids, gore, naughty bits, nipples, etc. would be prohibitted.  Zombie-type characters were okay though, if tasteful.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:20 pm »
I know a suiter who was not permitted to wear chaps with his wolf suit. He was puzzled.

Gee, I wonder why.  :o  :D

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 10:35:07 pm »
Wow, someone put a ton of time into that Confederate flag suit, and probably a good chunk of change, even though I can't see that face, that's probably a four-digit suit there.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of cons didn't find that in line with their values.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 10:42:00 pm »
Wow, someone put a ton of time into that Confederate flag suit, and probably a good chunk of change, even though I can't see that face, that's probably a four-digit suit there.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of cons didn't find that in line with their values.

Just type "Confederate flag fursuit" into the Google search box and you'll soon get plenty of entries and pictures on why that suit wasn't appropriate. ;)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 07:12:24 am »
Find a lot with google.  Apparently the confederate fur guy has a sketchy history, also impersonating Lemonade Coyote who was killed by recreating their suit and wearing it to cons.  Must thrive on negative attention.

While its here, probably suits that look like other well-known characters are banned, or at least discouraged for fear of mistaken identity.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Talv

• Species: Smol Monster
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:38 pm »
MFF banned a specific suit design with a confederate flag.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 01:05:13 pm »
MFF banned a specific suit design with a confederate flag.

You're a bit "late to the party" so to speak. You must have missed reading my post # 11 further above. ;)

Offline Talv

• Species: Smol Monster
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 05:34:13 pm »
You're a bit "late to the party" so to speak. You must have missed reading my post # 11 further above. ;)

My shame and remorse are boundless.