Author Topic: What makes a person gay?  (Read 16693 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
What makes a person gay?
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »
I've often wondered the following: What makes a person gay? Why do people become gay and are attracted to the same sex?

Does it have to do with any of the following?
* The way we were brought up/raised?
* Genetics, Hormonal imbalance, or other medical condition?
* Appearence/Personality of another person?
* Are we afraid to be with another person of the opposite sex because we feel we may be rejected by them in some way? Do people feel like there isn't anybody "special" out there for them of the opposite sex who wouldn't understand you, love you, etc.?

Or anything else?

Post your thoughts and discuss.

Offline MattJF15

• Male
Re: What makes a person gay?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:04:06 pm »
It is a hormonal inbalance for some. Others just like the personality. Only a few are afraid of the oppisite sex.
:D

Offline Binx

• Friendly Neighborhood Cat
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »
Well, my two best friends are gay. And, I have asked them the same question. They always say they were born that way. That they have always found the opposite sex appealing in some way or another. So, in my opinion I think that it's just in their blood. Like the way some furries feel extremely connected to their fursona animal. I don't think it has anything to do with how you were raised. My best friend was raised in an extremley "manly" home where everyone went hunting and grew enormous beards.  :o So, it's just something they were born with  I believe.
"Life, Liberty and The Fursuit of Happiness."

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:26:01 pm »
I agree :D Ok... Am I the only person in history on this site to have a gay furry?

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »
I have gay chars, lots of us are gay.

But, to answer Kobuk, I think it is a combo of birth and upbringing. I have heard of twins who were both gay, or one is gay and the other isn't. Imho, I think we are all able to be attracted to anyone of any gender at birth. But over time most of us choose. others, like me, don't or can't because, at least for me, I just can't stop it.
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »
OMG thank god! lol I am a twin! :) My brother isn't gay  :o.

I wanted to know if you could roleplay on my thread? It is the one  Going to College...

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:20 pm »
MattJF15 - It's more rare I found to find a straight furry than a gay one.   (:  I am often the odd ball out between my furry friends because almost all of them are gay/bi/trans/whatever. That's alright though. Gay people are more fun anywho. ;)

As for Kobuk's question. I believe, whether we like it or not, sexual attraction is driven by an internal animal instinct. That thing that tells a dog it's the right time to make puppies is a good way of putting it. For instance, I am attracted to woman. Plain and simple. I am not capable of actually being attracted to a guy sexually. I don't think it's the way you're raised because most people raised by a gay couple turn out straight, but with an understanding for gays. I think it is similar to the breakdown of how you are attracted to someone. Like some guys are attracted to the hips whilst others look towards the chest. It's sort of like that, but maybe more ingrained into you. This may be a result of the formation of chemicals in your brain. Not an imbalance, but a different arrangement so to speak.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:49:06 pm »
My two cents, I think genetics puts the potential there and life experience does the rest. 

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »
I agree. :D lol this explains why im gay...

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »
As a Christian, it is sinful to engage in homosexual practices. Homosexuality is not genetic, you are not born with it. It is a byproduct of sin and the deception of Satan. The deception is that it makes people think homosexuality is natural, and innocent, but really, it's not. People are not built to have sex with members of the same gender, and the whole purpose of sex is to make a baby. You cannot make a baby with two men or two females.

Some of you might say "you cannot resist being gay. If you are than you are." well, that's not entirely true. No, you can't choose whether you have feelings for members of the same sex, but you can control whether you act upon those feelings or if you want to work hard enough to end them. I've met people who were gay for years, up to 20 even, who now have wives.

This is basically it in a nutshell... I could keep going, but I can already tell that I'm going to get attention for this. They are my beliefs. If you are apposed to them, sorry, I'm probably apposed to yours, too. but I do not hate. God does not hate.. He loves us all so much, we just have to love Him back.

So again, don't hate on me.
Come find me! More to come!

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »
NO! I never said anything bout sex... I only meant like... i can feel for boys. To be honest. I am a Christian. I have a girlfriend! I am happy. I am just saying it does happen. And... I feel you should roleplay on my thread lol.

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:01:41 pm »
hmm.....i was gay for a couple months,but im celibate now....hormonal imbalance i guess? but i still feel strong emotions for either sex,but its love, not sexual desire
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
I'm with Neofur on this, and am of the opinion it is a lot to do with genetics and life experience. For what it's worth, I identify as pan. I've had a lot of bad experiences with men, so over the years I have become a lot more attracted to women as they have not caused me as much hurt, but that attraction to the same sex has always been there for as long as I can remember. Over the years, I have met transexuals and androgynous individuals, and they are often some of the nicest people I have met as they know what it is like to go through a tough time and try to help others.
My partner is a man, but I would be just as content if he were a woman, transexual or androgynous. Gender identity or genetic gender doesn't matter to me. I love the person, not the gender.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:11:35 pm by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline redpaw

• Male
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »
I was... kinda surprised to see this thread. Sexual preference is still a very sensitive topic and will probably remain that way for many years. But I wish it wasn't.

What makes a person gay?

I think the question should instead be: Why are some people gay? Asking what makes a person gay sounds like it can directly controlled or influenced.

Sexual selection (the way we choose a mate) is very complicated and influenced by numerous factors. For humans this is doubley so because of our elaborate social structures. Scientists are still only scratching the surface on this topic, so my honest answer is - I don't know.

The way I see it is that there are 7 billion humans running about this planet. Our species is so abundant that we don't all need to popping out babbies, so naturally there is more variation in sexual preference (not just gay and bi, but trans and asexual as well)  (:

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 05:22:20 pm »
As a Christian, it is sinful to engage in homosexual practices. Homosexuality is not genetic, you are not born with it. It is a byproduct of sin and the deception of Satan. The deception is that it makes people think homosexuality is natural, and innocent, but really, it's not.People are not built to have sex with members of the same gender, and the whole purpose of sex is to make a baby. You cannot make a baby with two men or two females.

Some of you might say "you cannot resist being gay. If you are than you are." well, that's not entirely true. No, you can't choose whether you have feelings for members of the same sex, but you can control whether you act upon those feelings or if you want to work hard enough to end them. I've met people who were gay for years, up to 20 even, who now have wives.

This is basically it in a nutshell... I could keep going, but I can already tell that I'm going to get attention for this. They are my beliefs. If you are apposed to them, sorry, I'm probably apposed to yours, too. but I do not hate. God does not hate.. He loves us all so much, we just have to love Him back.

So again, don't hate on me.

Homosexual behavior in animals> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals#Genetic_and_physiological_basis
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:28:16 pm by NeoFur »

Offline Hashira

• they/their, she/her
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 05:38:54 pm »
I'm not trying to offend people here o___o Ihope I'm not >.> just saying :P. GAH, Matt, im writing my intro post don't worry. I might message you btw >.>

@Neofur: your point?

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »
lol i under stand I AM IMPATIENT XD

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 05:43:29 pm »
NO! I never said anything bout sex... I only meant like... i can feel for boys. To be honest. I am a Christian. I have a girlfriend! I am happy. I am just saying it does happen. And... I feel you should roleplay on my thread lol.

Can you please not derail this thread about RP's. Please take it to PM's. Thanks.

Offline Jayme the Hippie

• What's this ladybug doing here?
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
I'm gay. I was born gay, have been gay since then, never felt an ounce of attraction towards women, and I will die gay. There was no event that made me gay, I was not molested as a child or anything like that. I am simply gay. I've spent time in a christain re-education camp where they starved me and made me read the bible day in and day out, and thrust the idea of eternal hellfire on me if I never decided to start cowering and hode who I truely am. I left, still gay, and I plan to stay gay, just as I truely am and always will be.
.           ,^
_   _      ;  ;
\`.,'/       ; ;
/_.._\`-----';
  \/` ,,,,,,   ;
    )//     \ ))

Avi by the talented Saiyu :3

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 05:46:43 pm »
I'm gay. I was born gay, have been gay since then, never felt an ounce of attraction towards women, and I will die gay. There was no event that made me gay, I was not molested as a child or anything like that. I am simply gay. I've spent time in a christain re-education camp where they starved me and made me read the bible day in and day out, and thrust the idea of eternal hellfire on me if I never decided to start cowering and hode who I truely am. I left, still gay, and I plan to stay gay, just as I truely am and always will be.

GOOD FOR YOU! That's awesome that you stick with your beliefs!

Can you please not derail this thread about RP's. Please take it to PM's. Thanks.
Um... we talked abou tthis, I said i wasn't talking about my roleplay any more >.>

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »
For those people who say they were "born" gay, I don't believe that. Nobody is born gay. There's no medical test or ultrasound, etc. that can determine if a baby is gay before it is born.  :P

Offline Jayme the Hippie

• Male
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 05:52:34 pm »
And wheres your proof that everyone is born perfectly strait?
.           ,^
_   _      ;  ;
\`.,'/       ; ;
/_.._\`-----';
  \/` ,,,,,,   ;
    )//     \ ))

Offline Hashira

• they/their, she/her
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 05:55:49 pm »
And wheres your proof that everyone is born perfectly strait?

God.

Offline Jayme the Hippie

• Male
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »
Wasn't aware you could call into question beings that may or may not exist.
.           ,^
_   _      ;  ;
\`.,'/       ; ;
/_.._\`-----';
  \/` ,,,,,,   ;
    )//     \ ))

Offline MattJF15

• Male
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »
Yes and no... God isn't Scientifically proven... :P BUT he is real. God loves everyone. He doesn't care if you are gay. Homosexuality is a forgivable sin.