Author Topic: Road Rovers?  (Read 6765 times)

Offline CanzetYote

• Male
Road Rovers?
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:01:38 pm »
Anyone ever watched this old 90's cartoon?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Rovers
One of the best cartoons ever ceated IMO. Should've had more than 13 episodes.

Offline KitsuNinja

• Space Pirate
  • Male
Re: Road Rovers?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »
YES. I loved it.

...Wait..I could have sworn there were more than 13 episodes.
Kemono Party > Furry and kemono fan realists who would rather embrace random and cuteness over being drama-queen furries, furry vs furry bashing or a furry who tries too hard. :3

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:58:56 pm »
That was an awesome show! I'd love to see it again.  :'(

Offline See

• Species: coydingo mutt
  • EscoDingo
  • Female
    • Esco's Artwork!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »
Woo, I loved Road Rovers! Colleen was totally my fav. And Blitz, too! Gosh, I missed this show.
Motto: Wipe your paws and check your claws at the door ;3
Tumblr: www.escodingo.tumblr.com
Twitter: EscoDingo
DeviantArt: www.seethemutt.deviantart.com
FurAffinity: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/escodingo/

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:47:53 pm by Alexandre »

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »
"Don't be a weird boy!"
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Valexi

• Hylian Hyena
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:48:15 pm »
Haha, I honestly couldn't remember that show until I saw the intro
:)
I don't think I watched it all that much.
I was too busy watching [Street Sharks] and [SWAT Kats.]
SWAT Kats was my favorite
;)

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:51 am »
I have about half of the episodes on VHS to bad my VCR is on the fritz.

As far as the person complaining about Road Rovers being only canids unlike TMNT both the tv show and the RPG and Palladium's later game After the Bomb. The show had far, FAR, better writing though it doesn't stand the test of time since there were so many topical jokes.

As far as characters go my favorite was Muzzle, my wife even named her stuffed Rottweiller after him, I have a husky plush so that of course is Exile
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:07:03 am »
I never got cable until I was around 13 so I never got to see that show. :(
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:30:57 am »
I never got cable until I was around 13 so I never got to see that show. :(

I really pity you. It was network when it first came out. It hasn't been on cable in about eleven years.

Offline HellraiserDLX

• Male
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 01:24:28 am »
oh man I remember that

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:04:42 am »
Some of the episodes are on YouTube. I know the very catchy theme song definitely is.

Hunter is awesome! :)

*sigh*  :-[ :)

(Hunter is the one on the right ;) )

A strong leader, yet cool and laid back :). (Breaking the typical "Leonardo" serious leader mold). And he's voiced by Jess Harnell, the voice of Wakko Warner! :)

The episode where Hunter goes to see a dog from his past is actually pretty moving. There was a lot of potential there, but it didn't run very long. I'd like to see this series done again, updated and just a tiny little bit more serious in tone (not extremely serious, just like "Teen Titans" level or so).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:21:54 am by animagusurreal »

DA         FA

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:47:11 am »
Wow, I completely forgot about that show until I just read this. Now you have me looking up old cartoons I used to watch, this is awesome.
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:08:45 pm »
Nah, too many muscular dogs for my tastes X3 also I don't think it was broadcasted where I lived when I was a kid
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:09:45 am »
[quote author=animagusurreal The episode where Hunter goes to see a dog from his past is actually pretty moving. There was a lot of potential there, but it didn't run very long. I'd like to see this series done again, updated and just a tiny little bit more serious in tone (not extremely serious, just like "Teen Titans" level or so).
[/quote]

As long as Hunter still chases tennis balls I'd love to see it come back.

Offline Tanu

• Species: Raccoon
  • Just a regular Office Raccoon.
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 01:21:54 am »
I found a few episodes of it on youtube. Made me laugh almost the whole time.
Celebrate who you are.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 10:56:45 am »
I actually own two or three original production animation cels from this cartoon series!  My favorite character from the show was Colleen, pretty much because I have a thing for attractive female furry characters, and she was the regular attractive female furry character of the show!  While she is definitely very easy on the eyes, and I normally find femme fatales with foreign accents to be extremely alluring, in Colleen's case I kind of found both her accent and her personality to be a bit too abrasive for me.  So while I liked her enough to go out of the way to purchase the before-mentioned animation cels of her, she doesn't hit my top 10 list of all-time favorite cartoon furry femmes or anything like that.

I have to say that being reminded of this show makes me a bit nostalgic for the cartoons of the early to mid-1990's again.  Somehow the environment of the Warner Bros. Animation Studios of that time period allowed for some both very serious and very adult cartoons get produced for children compared to today's fare.  On one side you had some kids cartoons that were packed with more adult-oriented jokes and some very sexualized characters, such as "Hello Nurse" and "Minerva Mink" from Animaniacs (and even Colleen to a much lesser degree-- you can't argue that her feminine curves and bust were put there by accident), and on the other side you had some very serious an violet crime dramas such as Batman: The Animated Series.  In a way it was almost like some childrens' 90's cartoons were echos of the animated shorts that were made for adult audiences back in the 1940's.  You could see curvy cartoon characters such as Minerva Mink being homages to characters like Tex Avery's "Red Hot Riding Hood."  After all, the two characters' animated shorts even had some of the same plot points and situations.  With crime dramas, Batman the Animated Series was just as serious in tone and violent as some of the 1930's and 40's gangster radio shows that I like to listen to, such as The Shadow.  It was actually great growing up with cartoons like this as a kid because they didn't talk down to you or insult your intelligence-- they were well-written, clever, pulled few punches, and told stories that had enough reality in them that you could really relate to them and get involved.

Unfortunately, it seems that thanks to certain terrible national events occurring in the late 90's and early 2000's that the pendulum of public opinion has swung the other way, and cartoons being produced for children for the most part have become very politically correct, non-threatening, and conservative again.  Now we have the much more subdued "Batman: The Brave and the Bold," which is nowhere near as dark and gritty as "Batman: The Animated Series" was, and if you had a character like Minerva Mink slink across your high-definition television screen in this day and age there would probably be advocate groups protesting that she is promoting a negative female stereotype to young girls and completely missing the satire and the humor of the character.  *sigh*

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent there, but Warner Bros. Animation really was on a roll with all of their hit animated shows in the 1990's, and you just can't bring up Road Rovers without reminding me about how good all of the shows during that time period were.  In fact, that is probably why Road Rovers only got 13 episodes-- it was against so many other great cartoons during the heyday of Warner Bros. television animation that it probably had a hard time standing out.  If the show debuted against weaker competition, it probably would have fared much better and had more episodes, and I would have gotten to see more of Colleen as a result!   :)

Offline Tanu

• Species: Raccoon
  • Just a regular Office Raccoon.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 02:11:38 pm »
Talk about hitting the nail on the head, I've been telling my friends the same thing for a long time, although I used different examples. My friends were fans of shows like Mighty Max, X-men, Gargoyles, and Tailspin. The years in which these were out may be varied but, you cannot deny that they hold a VERY strong place in your hearts and minds.
Celebrate who you are.

Offline caninesrock

• Female
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 01:26:33 pm »
I love Road Rovers. I watched the entire series on Youtube. It's ashame they never finished it though. It would be nice and some company did release they few episodes that were made on DVD though. Hunter was my favorite character. I love how all the dogs were from different countries and had different  accents based on their breeds, like the husky who was Russian, the German Shepard who was German, and the collie who was British I think,etc.

Banner made by my friend Alex(who isn't a member here) and used with permission. Avatar is screenshot of Jacob in wolf form from Twilight movie.