Author Topic: Alpha and Omega movie  (Read 10413 times)

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
Re: Alpha and Omega movie
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »
ooh, I should go and be the lone protester for teh movie for its "Glorification of the hunting and killing of perfectly healthy and innocent Caribou as a theme in the film". Perhaps I can rally a couple of 416 members and we can be called the "Hoofers Against Glorified Slaughter" or HAGS for short.
:orhorse:

Whatever floats your boat, Mr. unprocessed cheeseburger*!!!  I am sure that the furry wolves seeing this movie would love to see your ungulate protest group show up, especially if they haven't eaten dinner yet!   :D

* (A reference to a previous joke that I made earlier in "Ungulate Traffic Jam" thread!)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:17:03 pm by Hoagiebot »

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 03:19:28 pm »
Id like to go... but unfortunately I have to be in Milwaukee, WI the next day at 8:00 AM, so I think I'd better sit this one out.  I'll make it back to the 'burbs in time for dinner and bowling though.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Saril

• Female
    • FA
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 04:43:28 pm »
ooh, I should go and be the lone protester for teh movie for its "Glorification of the hunting and killing of perfectly healthy and innocent Caribou as a theme in the film". Perhaps I can rally a couple of 416 members and we can be called the "Hoofers Against Glorified Slaughter" or HAGS for short.

Wag HAGS?
*ducks*

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 07:32:27 pm »
Wag HAGS?
*ducks*

Totally OT: -Tackles Saril to the ground- I MIISSSSSSEEEDDDDDDDDD YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 07:54:05 pm »
Yeah, its good to see you back Saril. Welcome home.

Offline Saril

• Female
    • FA
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 07:59:49 pm »
D:

:D

*grins and hugs Shim, waves at Liedt* Hello hello, sorry for being away! I missed you guys, too!

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23:03 am »

Hmm, there are some gears in my head beginning to turn here. Choreographed fight between the Ungulates and the Wolves who've come to see the movie in front of the ticket booths for starters.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 04:42:42 pm »
I went to see Alpha and Omega. I now know why they only play it once a day, and we were the only people in the theater. I would have been better off paying $25 for two seats, popcorn, and soda in a large dark empty room. At least I wouldn't have been distracted.

It was apparent that nobody gave a hoot about the animation. The wolves had manes. I understand trying to add hair in an attempt to give them some human expression, but these were MANES. There is only one wolf that has a main, it lives in Brazil, not canada, and looks like a giant red fox. Oh, and the baby bear looked like a plushy. 

Nobody had done any animal behavior research. At all. The wolf packs were huge, and way too close if the food supply was limited like it was. Only four wolves were hunting caribou, and they acted like one deer would feed the entire pack. Hungry? Why not send out ever able wolf to hunt and take down as many deer as possible if they are around, or move to a better area. Oh, and why were there three different bears upset over the cub? Mom chases dad away almost immediately, not to mention the other bears weren't even of the same species!

The train looked exactly like something you'd expect going around the christmas tree, yet people were driving very modern looking Dodge trucks. The DNR didn't do any studying of the wolf pack to select which wolves they were going to move, and they acted like a couple of rednecks with dart guns.

An the plot was atrocious. Very little to it, and what humor there was was poor and over done.

:P
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »
I went to see Alpha and Omega. I now know why they only play it once a day, and we were the only people in the theater. I would have been better off paying $25 for two seats, popcorn, and soda in a large dark empty room. At least I wouldn't have been distracted.

It was apparent that nobody gave a hoot about the animation. The wolves had manes. I understand trying to add hair in an attempt to give them some human expression, but these were MANES. There is only one wolf that has a main, it lives in Brazil, not canada, and looks like a giant red fox. Oh, and the baby bear looked like a plushy. 

Nobody had done any animal behavior research. At all. The wolf packs were huge, and way too close if the food supply was limited like it was. Only four wolves were hunting caribou, and they acted like one deer would feed the entire pack. Hungry? Why not send out ever able wolf to hunt and take down as many deer as possible if they are around, or move to a better area. Oh, and why were there three different bears upset over the cub? Mom chases dad away almost immediately, not to mention the other bears weren't even of the same species!

The train looked exactly like something you'd expect going around the christmas tree, yet people were driving very modern looking Dodge trucks. The DNR didn't do any studying of the wolf pack to select which wolves they were going to move, and they acted like a couple of rednecks with dart guns.

An the plot was atrocious. Very little to it, and what humor there was was poor and over done.

youch, man if it's that bad, the wildlife biologist in me will just have a heart attack watching it x.x

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »
The animation looks kinda... cheap >>; I dunno why.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 01:02:00 am »

youch, man if it's that bad, the wildlife biologist in me will just have a heart attack watching it x.x

If, for whatever reason, you do go bring a defibrillator and someone who knows how to use it. I consider my review "going easy" on it because it was a kids movie. I could have gone into how the train was called an Express, when Express is a passenger train term, not a freight train as it was in the movie. Or the Yellow ducks. Or the "french-canadian" good in WESTERN canada. Or the swarms of Blue Jays (blue jays range is outside of the the park).

My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Saril

• Female
    • FA
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 11:59:43 am »
I like how the male is gray and has big clumsy paws, the female is red and is "too classy" for the scruffy outcast, and there's a wacky ethnic goose for no reason. Sooooo original! I've NEVER seen that in an animated feature about talking dogs before!

Offline Scrimno

• 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:24 pm »
It was kinda childish, and the wolves looked strange, but I liked the howling/singing and the few tongue-in-cheek parts and where adult scenes were implied.
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline Plutonium

• Male
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:35 pm »

Kids movies always suffer critical research failure, like the movie Dinosaur. Unlike movies like ice age (still a case a CRF) or toy story designed to be "family movies" enjoyable to adults and kids this sounds like it was made to be a 100% kids movie and they threw in some things to make it PG because G rating is not as marketable; probably why the humor was not great.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »
Meh, I'll just use my usual saying:
IT COULD BE WORSE! X3

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• I'm so mad I could just... *BOOM*
  • Female
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »
Well, sad to say, my neutral-furry friends have seen it and weren't very pleased, so I'm scared what a full-on furry will think of it :(

I saw the previews and wasn't THAT interested in it, it seemed like a very predictable plot.

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

Live, love, laugh, for life is beautiful

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• I'm so mad I could just... *BOOM*
  • Female
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 11:46:39 pm »
Update!

Ok I was wrong, it was an ADORABLE movie! A must-see!

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

Live, love, laugh, for life is beautiful

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »
Anything that made you change your mind? (sans spoilers please)

Offline StarCollie

• Female
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »
I personally loved it. It was cute and funny. I don't care if the plot was predictable or the wolves looked weird, it got paws up for me. The movie showed that love has no boundries. Like me and my mate, he's more like an Alpha and I'm more like Omega, even though you're from 2 different social groups you can still fall in love. Plus it's a good way to introduce wolves to kids in a way to show that wolves are NOT as evil as people think. I love that movie :) Got it on the first day it came out!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:55:21 pm by StarCollie »
"...SQUIRREL..... anyway..."

~Star Collie

Offline Vukasin

• Male
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:47 am »
I saw it a few weeks ago. I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Offline StarCollie

• Female
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 10:12:57 am »
I saw it a few weeks ago. I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Yay! I don't know why people hate it, some of them haven't even seen the movie.
"...SQUIRREL..... anyway..."

~Star Collie

Offline homegrownkodi

• Male
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
I also really enjoyed it, even though this actually surprised me!
I was really expecting myself to just... stop watching out of disgust and boredom...
Maybe because I was judging the cartoon on the art style alone, which to be honest I feel makes the characters look a little derpy.

However, the animation was really enjoyable. Well shot, amusing and implicitly tackling issues surrounding tradition and the need for progression and community amongst people.

And about that "They hadn;t done their animal research at all" statement... It's an animation, it wasn't suppose to be realistic. Alpha's in packs don't need to attend alpha school either, but stories are essentially about people and the 'animal' characters are just suppose to represent people and all that blah blah.
Cats do not walk on two legs, or live in houses but I think it would be safe to say, since you are on a furry forum, that that won't stop you from enjoying a piece of fictional works. It wasn't suppose to be realistic in any way, so don't slate it for not being realistic. It still felt real in the film world.

Also, just because you don't see characters doing something in preperation, doesn't mean they didn't do it in the fiction. I'm not sure it would have been entertaining to witness the DNR deciding which wolves they were planning on taking. It wasn't needed, and you didn't see much of them anyway... 'cus that wasn't needed either. It wasn't actually relevant to the story. The story wasn't about 2 wolves trying to get home, it was about a guy trying to win the heart of a girl.

One of my favourite Romantic Comedies to date.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:23:20 pm by homegrownkodi »
PSN: homegrown-Kodi
Gamertag: HomegrownKodi

Icon by Tyler

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 08:37:28 pm »
Scanning back through these posts, I can see that most of them were made by people who were planning on going to see Alpha and Omega -- or at least thinking about it -- but hadn't seen it yet.

So, what did everyone think when they actually saw it?  Personally, I wasn't all that impressed.  I wanted to like it... but, there was way too much that didn't make sense.

Edit:  Or, more accurately, I got confused and was only looking at the first page of comments apparently.  So, I guess, if I want to know what people thought, I should read through the second page.  I guess I'll do that now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:41:11 pm by Ryffnah »
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »
Kids movies always suffer critical research failure, like the movie Dinosaur. Unlike movies like ice age (still a case a CRF) or toy story designed to be "family movies" enjoyable to adults and kids this sounds like it was made to be a 100% kids movie and they threw in some things to make it PG because G rating is not as marketable; probably why the humor was not great.

Okay, so, yeah, I fall into the camp that was bothered by the clear lack of attention to actual animal behavior as well.  I like my anthropomorphic animals to think and act like animals as well as to look like them.

And this definitely did feel like the kind of movie that was designed to be popped in the DVD-player to keep the kids from bugging you for an hour or two.  Though, if I'm going to do that, I'd really rather show my daughter a movie with a better script, and I can think of three movies from last year alone that fall into that category.  And, like this one, they were all nominated for Ursa Major Awards, so they were at least somewhat furry.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2011, 02:53:27 am »
It's in my netflix queue. Waiting.....
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./