Author Topic: File Conversion  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Cobalt

• A stranger to some and a vision to none.
  • Male
File Conversion
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:47:28 am »
I've got a .png file on my computer that I'm able to open with Photoshop, but I need to convert it to a .jpg or .gif in order to use it for something (going to try and use it as cell phone wallpaper)

Does anyone know of a way to convert the file type? I tried doing a "Save As" in Photoshop to see if it'd let me change the file type that way, but it will only let me save it as a.png. I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this, but I'm out of ideas how.
"I'm sitting in a magic hat, with smoke and mirrors."
-Soundgarden "Ty Cobb"-

"I don't know what an om nom nom is, but it's deeeelicious."

Another Code Against The Gone: FFL1a A C++ Dm++ H++ M P R++ T+ W Z- Sm# RLMH a cn++ d++ e++ f h iwf+ j--- p sm#

Offline Ciasmi Violette

• Male
    • My DA
File Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:05:25 pm »
Open it in MS Paint and save it as .jpg

Otherwise, you can try and do it the old fasion way. If you have the details of the file up, rename it. When you rename it, you replace the png with jpg, and thus, it should work

Avy credit and love goes to zion!

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
File Conversion
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:10:39 pm »
Photoshop should allow you to change it to jpg. CS3 does (since that's the version I use).

If not try in paint, GIMP or paint.net

If they fail I haven't a clue  ':?:'
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Cobalt

• A stranger to some and a vision to none.
  • Male
File Conversion
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:02 pm »
All right, thanks. I'll have to try those when I get home from work today. I was underthe impression that manualy changing the file extansion would corrupt the file. I'll have see if I can change the extanion in Photoship (using CS2) and do that. If not I'll try the MS Paint  or GIMP thingy. Thanks for all the help.
"I'm sitting in a magic hat, with smoke and mirrors."
-Soundgarden "Ty Cobb"-

"I don't know what an om nom nom is, but it's deeeelicious."

Another Code Against The Gone: FFL1a A C++ Dm++ H++ M P R++ T+ W Z- Sm# RLMH a cn++ d++ e++ f h iwf+ j--- p sm#

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
File Conversion
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:03:43 pm »
There is a free image viewer/converter on the web called INFRANVIEW .  You can google it to get it. It's easy to use, free,  and will convert almost anything.
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
File Conversion
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:55 pm »
Quote (Cobalt @ Dec. 03 2007, 11:21 am)
I was underthe impression that manualy changing the file extansion would corrupt the file.

From what I understand, manually changing the file extention only changes the way it is named and what programs may see the file.  It doesn't change the contents of the file itself.  It wouldn't corrupt the file per se, but if you just renamed it to .jpg or .gif, and the phone/program can't read .png file info, then you may get an error.  To do it right, you would need to open it in a program and do a "save as" so it writes a new proper file.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Lobar

• *begs for pineapple*
  • Male
File Conversion
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:19:53 pm »
Quote (WhiteShepherd @ Dec. 03 2007, 10:03 am)
There is a free image viewer/converter on the web called INFRANVIEW .  You can google it to get it. It's easy to use, free,  and will convert almost anything.

Agree with WS, use Irfanview to convert it to a .jpg.  MS Paint is a pretty terrible program and will compress it without regard to quality.
   Now,
       let's go play, together...
Together under the
             clearest of blue skies.

Offline Holley

• I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam
File Conversion
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:33:56 am »
Quote (Kytayle Kytaeli @ Dec. 03 2007, 5:05 pm)
Otherwise, you can try and do it the old fasion way. If you have the details of the file up, rename it. When you rename it, you replace the png with jpg, and thus, it should work

Narei is right, PNG is a different format from JPG, the compression is different and PNGs support transparency.

On a side note, Irfanview is useful for resizing and changing file formats and its quite small and efficient.  Unfortunately its not a lot of use for anything else, and has some odd design quirks - I guess you can't have everything!
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.