Author Topic: Computer be screwed ):  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
Computer be screwed ):
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:35:59 pm »
I've tried asking around in a few places but am still a bit lost as to this problem, so I was hoping maybe some technical people out there could give me a hand?

My computer is on the fritz. I originally thought the internet was running slow but apparently not. Firefox no longer loads any videos for me(whether youtube or not) and I'm hard pressed to get even one picture to load on the browser. I tried opening Internet Explorer to see if it had the same problem, but it won't even open. It just sits in my processes and eats up space.

I've run every kind of anti-virus and spyware program I have but nothing seems to work >< Halp please?

Offline NachtwolfES

• Das floof
  • Male
    • My deviantart page
Re: Computer be screwed ):
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:00:14 pm »
that's a tough one.  Try defragmenting and clearing the cache.  Clear your temporary files and stuff like that as well.  Can't really think of anything else that would help. 

Offline Drasune

• Male
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:04:23 pm »
How long has it been since you defragmented your hard drive? If you haven't for a while that might be the problem.

If you have, then have you tried running Firefox in Safe Mode? If it works in Safe Mode then you probably have some malware that isn't being detected by the scans. I'd suggest looking around google for those with a similar problem and see what their solutions were.

Though if all else fails try HijackThis. Make sure to read up on it though, it can be harmful if used blindly.

Offline Mianame

• Female
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:05:55 pm »
Wow, I didn't even think of doing that >< I haven't defregmented it since I got it about a year ago, so I'm letting it do that right now. It's gonna be a while until I know if it worked.

I tried reading up on HijackThis a long with back, but it's a bit beyond me. I'll use that as a last resort if I have to. Thanks guys! :D

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:53:41 pm »
Defraging is a good idea regardless, but if that were an issue, I suspect you'd likely see a noticable slowdown on the entire computer and not just with the net. But those are the easy suggestions, so good to start with them.  If defrag and cache/temp file/cookie clearing doesn't work, maybe this will help.

Aside from pics and vids loading, does the rest of the page load up quickly (I.e. the bacgrounds, buttons, text, etc)?  Check your modem for traffic use. If you can't monitor traffic, you can get Zone Alarm Firewall free (it's what I use with no issues in years) and it will display traffic in the task bar. If you notice a lot of net traffic with no browsers open/loading, no downloads running, messengers logged off, etc., then it's likely some sort of malware tying up your net.

Zone Alarm is good about blocking suspicious activity, so malware won't get in or out if that's your problem, but wont rid the system of the infection. AVG and Spybot S&D are my two usual go to programs for clearing infections. Since you said you already tried checking that stuff, do you see any other odd processes in your task manager process list (especially if they are using CPU time when you aren't expecting any activity on your system)? If so, check out THIS SITE. It lists most every known task, including malware, that could be running on the process list. It's easy to search and will let you know what the process is supposed to be used for, and if it's possible malware, how you may be able to get rid of it. Heck, I've used it to see what kind of unnecessary programs I've had running at start up just as a way to do regular system maintence.

Best of luck.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Mianame

• Female
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:54 am »
Thanks so much Narei! That website helped me spot a virus running in my processes(pretty sure it was a worm), so now I've gotten rid of it and gotten a decent firewall to keep things clean. Thank god I run my computer without waiting ten minutes for every page to load again! Woo!

And thanks for the tips from everyone else too!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:15:15 pm »
My pleasure :)

Next time you restart your computer, open the task manager and make sure that virus/worm didn't show up again and maybe even run another virus scan to be sure. Some of them have a way of using the computer's restore function to hide a duplicate of themselves and will come back on a restart after cleaning them out. If that happens, let me know and I'll give you a walk through that will keep that from happeneing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:19:34 pm by Narei Mooncatt »

Offline Mianame

• Female
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:01:49 pm »
At the moment I can't really tell if it's starting up again. I got my firewall to block it continuously even if I've exited it out, so it's not starting up with my computer at the moment. Should I unblock it to see if it's still there when I restart or is it okay as is?

Oh, and I've AVG Anti-virus and PC Tools Anti-virus and neither has caught anything. Any other virus programs I should use?

Offline Rocket

• Male
    • FA  Page.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:40:14 am »
Oh, and I've AVG Anti-virus and PC Tools Anti-virus and neither has caught anything. Any other virus programs I should use?

I have heard good things about NOD32, its not free, but its supposed to be pretty good.

Do you need a couple recommendations on spyware protection?
Avatar: line art copyright Rukifox, http://rukifox.deviantart.com/art/W.....tline-50446883

Markings by Rocket Wolf.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 02:58:40 am »
The only way to see if anything is still actively trying to get through is to shut your firewall off. Of course you should understand the risk of doing so. If you aren't seeing it showing back up in the task manager, it's likely gone. It's not a sure fire way, since I think some can run without showing up in a process list. I'm only going on the assumption that you saw it listed before you removed it. Something else that's handy is to google the name of the suspected infection and see what others have done with it.

If you want to try some other programs to scan with, check out THIS PAGE for several recomendations.

Offline Mianame

• Female
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:08 am »
Yup, just found a new virus protection system that picked it up and wiped it out. It was indeed starting up again when I stopped the firewall from blocking it. So it looks like my machine's really clean now(hopefully). Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Offline Serathano

• R A W R
  • Male
    • Kobaj.net
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
avast is a relaly good virus scanner, give it a try, its also free, and to generally speed up your copmuter, use CCleaner. its  also free.
My Furry Code: FFTw3a A C- D+ H+ M- P- R++ T+++ W Z- Sm++ RLCT* a- cn++++ d+ e- f h* iwf++ j+ p++ sm--

Signature Picture by: Neifon Baako