Author Topic: Am I possibly a therian?  (Read 9513 times)

Offline PinkPlushii

• Call me Kaci! :D
  • Female
Am I possibly a therian?
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:29:53 pm »
So...how to start this topic off. This has been something I have been scared to talk about, for fear of people thinking I'm delusional when I'm absolutely not. But I've seen several topics like this, so I decided to give this a shot.

For a while now, I've been researching therianthropy, and when I first heard of it, my first thought was "So these people think they have the soul of an animal? How silly!" But I was so intrigued by it, so I continued researching. As I did more and more research, I found out I could relate more and more to it. Now I don't believe I have the soul/spirit of an animal trapped inside of me, I believe I have the soul of a human being, and I'm happy to be human, I really am, otherwise I wouldn't have met such fantastic people in my life.

However, I feel like I didn't choose to be a furry, and that I didn't choose the species my fursona is. It was just always there, just like I did not have any say in being a human; I simply am. I've never had any shifts...aside from minor phantom shifts in which I've felt phantom tails, paws, and ears. But I've never exactly tried to have them either, or took notice of them if I did.

The only part of my fursona I did choose myself was the fennec fox part, however, my fursona is mainly a red wolf. I still don't know why my fursona came to me as a red wolf, or how I even relate to one. I just know that there's this connection there, and I can feel it spiritually and mentally.

I suppose I'm just a bit confused and need to talk this out with someone... :P

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
Re: Am I possibly a therian?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:39 pm »
Since you have been experiencing these spiritual shifts where phantom limbs manifest themselves, you might indeed be therian, though since you haven't experienced any mental shifts, it is also likely that Red Wolf simply has something to teach you as a guide or totem. I'm not versed enough in the details to say "yes you are", and ultimately it's up to you to decide whether you are (though other folks may have more to say on the matter).

In any case, you might consider spending time in quiet meditation with Red Wolf, asking what lesson you need to learn. Patience and a willingness to seek information will help you with this.
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline PinkPlushii

• Female
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:10:39 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely try meditating with the Red Wolf once I get the chance to, and figure out how. I'm a real newbie to meditation. :-[

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:37:03 pm »
Conveniently enough, I wrote a (basic and generic) guide to meditation a couple of years ago, and WikiFur is one of the places I chose to put it. You can take the information and methods there, and modify to suit your needs. (I always appreciate feedback on this article, from whoever cares to have a look.)

If you're going to meditate with a particular guide in mind, there are several ways to do it. One way would be to treat that guide as a part of your meditative space, allowing them a presence within your awareness. Another way might be to treat them as your focus (which isn't about concentration so much as the base to which you return when your mind has wandered far enough down a particular path). Another way might be to summon that guide within yourself (that is, invoke them within you) and quietly examine what differences you feel when you do that.

Meditation doesn't need to get deeply into ritual; two deep breaths can sometimes do as much for a master as an hour would for an apprentice, in terms of getting into a particular mental state.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:46:04 pm by Siege »

Offline Tarsusal

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:59 am »
For a while now, I've been researching therianthropy, and when I first heard of it, my first thought was "So these people think they have the soul of an animal? How silly!" But I was so intrigued by it, so I continued researching. As I did more and more research, I found out I could relate more and more to it.

I think I'm currently in the same camp, I think. I'm quite skeptical about therian matters, but I'm still quite curious. A while ago I didn't care much for meditation or other such matters either, but now I'm actively engaged in them and I feel that they enrich my life. Could you tell me what research you did or where you found the research material? Can anybody else relate their therian experiences/thoughts?

Offline Savaaha

• Female
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »
I use to think I was a therian. I had all the shifts and such but then I realized something... Souls cannot have a species or a gender even. These things are  physical traits. I thought about it more and more and have come to the conclusion its because in a past life I was a horse and I have some residual "horseness" left.  IMO its why some people feel many animals in them, they have lived as those animals in past lives.

Of course this is just my feelings/opinions on this. I am in no way arguing with your thoughts.

Offline PinkPlushii

• Female
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:14:26 pm »
I think I'm currently in the same camp, I think. I'm quite skeptical about therian matters, but I'm still quite curious. A while ago I didn't care much for meditation or other such matters either, but now I'm actively engaged in them and I feel that they enrich my life. Could you tell me what research you did or where you found the research material? Can anybody else relate their therian experiences/thoughts?

I'm a bit skeptical as well. Even though I feel there's another non-human part of me, I still stop and think about how silly and stupid it must sound, and how impossible it is. It all goes back to my thought of "If I was meant to be a red wolf, I would have been a red wolf instead of a human".

As far as research goes, my research is mostly done on these sites:

http://www.freewebs.com/jetwolf/therianinfo.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/moonscape/therianthropy.html
http://www.werelist.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Unfortunately I don't know many other sites that I can really use as research. D:

Savaaha - That's a good point, about souls not having a gender or a species, and how they just sort of exist within you. That's something good to think about. I will definitely think about that.

Offline Psylent Wulf

• Male
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:28 pm »
I use to think I was a therian. I had all the shifts and such but then I realized something... Souls cannot have a species or a gender even. These things are  physical traits. I thought about it more and more and have come to the conclusion its because in a past life I was a horse and I have some residual "horseness" left.  IMO its why some people feel many animals in them, they have lived as those animals in past lives.

Of course this is just my feelings/opinions on this. I am in no way arguing with your thoughts.

yehh I think this is how I feel too. ^

oh and PinkPlushii, Thanks for thoes links above, apparently I didn't know as much as I thought I did.  :-[

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:49 pm »
It all goes back to my thought of "If I was meant to be a red wolf, I would have been a red wolf instead of a human".
There are some who suggest that due to human overpopulation and the destruction of species, some souls which would have gone to animals instead go to humans.

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 07:48:50 am »
I'd like to try something. Would anyone care to discuss this topic with me over voice chat, as a segment for my podcast? It would be the first time I've tried such a thing, so I can't guarantee audio quality, but I'd be willing to try a different program if Google Talk doesn't satisfy.

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:08:21 pm »
Conveniently enough, I wrote a (basic and generic) guide to meditation a couple of years ago, and WikiFur is one of the places I chose to put it. You can take the information and methods there, and modify to suit your needs. (I always appreciate feedback on this article, from whoever cares to have a look.)

If you're going to meditate with a particular guide in mind, there are several ways to do it. One way would be to treat that guide as a part of your meditative space, allowing them a presence within your awareness. Another way might be to treat them as your focus (which isn't about concentration so much as the base to which you return when your mind has wandered far enough down a particular path). Another way might be to summon that guide within yourself (that is, invoke them within you) and quietly examine what differences you feel when you do that.

Meditation doesn't need to get deeply into ritual; two deep breaths can sometimes do as much for a master as an hour would for an apprentice, in terms of getting into a particular mental state.

a young bo do u by any chance have a link to this, i'm not therian but wouldn't mind the meditation thing...who knows right. i do feel a strong connection with bears...and maybe a good meditation could trigger something. course i'm not looking nor trying to be one...thats more like a u never know...i just want to try out the meditation techniques.

i been having a lot of stress and self discovery probs all i know is i'm human, sexy ( lol ), and a fur thats it lol. and that could be very helpful
bears eat the best, sleep the best, look the best ...oh and gives hugz the best

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 12:06:26 am »
Uh... the words "guide to meditation" in my post happen to be a link to it?

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:12:49 am »
oh i'm sorry  :o, Kudos feels so stupid.

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:02:01 am »
what about focusing on a specific sound. like the low humming sound of a fan sometimes theres just to much noise and that flushes most of it out.

Offline PinkPlushii

• Female
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:15 pm »
It all goes back to my thought of "If I was meant to be a red wolf, I would have been a red wolf instead of a human".
There are some who suggest that due to human overpopulation and the destruction of species, some souls which would have gone to animals instead go to humans.

That's an interesting theory...that probably explains why there are so many wolf/fox therians and the like.

Do you mind sharing where you heard that? :3

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 09:40:37 pm »
The livejournal of a therian called Lupa.
Also of note is her and her mate's website at The Green Wolf - check out the books she's written, which include A Field Guide to Otherkin; Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone: A Primal Guide to Animal Magic; and DIY Totemism.

Offline Pensive

• Female
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:33 am »
The livejournal of a therian called Lupa.
Also of note is her and her mate's website at The Green Wolf - check out the books she's written, which include A Field Guide to Otherkin; Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone: A Primal Guide to Animal Magic; and DIY Totemism.

Seconded. I own "A Field Guide to Otherkin", and it's a FABULOUS book.
Not opinionated at all, and have very varied information.
I'd definitely suggest it.

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »
You just have to travel where your beliefs take you. ^_^

I've been jumping all across the religious plane. From Unitarian Universalism, to general Pantheism, and most recently to Neo-Druidism. but, for the record, I considered myself a therian a while ago... Way before I was involved with the fandom. =P
-

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 11:54:43 pm »
I want to believe that I'm not what the world tells me I am. I strongly believe that I have to be something more. I think that I'd die inside if I found out I wasn't.

C.S. Lewis once said something to the effect that all human beings are the spirit children of a loving Heavenly Father, and that if we could see who other people really were we would be strongly tempted to worship them. Maybe these concepts are related.

I've personally had a vivid dream of flying, and of being something that is not human. But I do not believe that this is literally the case, as to the best of my knowledge it conflicts with a belief system which I personally know to be true. Even if it did not, I do not think that anyone would have forced me to become human against my will.

I'm actually writing a story right now that deals with these sorts of concepts, although the first chapter's just a straightforward transformation story with a depressing ending.

Offline Lieutenant AQ McArson

• Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 06:12:57 pm »
Well first of all
Red Wolves and Fennecs live in COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLACES,
AND WOULD NEVER MATE,
and taurs aren't real.
ok
Furry since 1996, and going strong. <3

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:20:12 pm »
Well first of all
AND WOULD NEVER MATE,
and taurs aren't real.
ok

Of all the things she could call herself, and of all the things that people have probably called her, I'd say that her self-concept as an imaginary creature is truer than most.

And your post doesn't seem like a very polite thing to tell anyone.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:24:41 pm by Tachyon »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »
Whatever people choose to believe in, then that's their decision and we should respect it, even if it may seem wrong or different. Let's not bash or insult people for their choices, whatever they may be.

Offline Savaaha

• Female
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »
having the feelings of 2 species is not an impossible thing.. In my own beliefs she probably lived as each in a past life and still has the feelings from those experiences.

as for the taur.. I think they are based on the 1st horse/rider sightings but whose to say they don't exist on some other plane or planet, souls are not limited to earth.

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 07:32:19 am »
Well first of all
AND WOULD NEVER MATE,
and taurs aren't real.
ok

I don't think interspecies breeding between a red wolf and a fennec would create any viable reason for a person to feel a spiritual connection to such a creature. I always thought of it (as Sav said), a past-life thing. Taurs may not appear to exist (atleast, not on a human plane), but neither do half the things a religion preaches. I don't think you are very kind at all to this. Beliefs are personal and I doubt one makes any more sense than the other. Please try to keep an open mind if you wish to associate with such a community, such as this.
-

Offline ThrasherCub

• Male
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 12:38:30 pm »
Well first of all
AND WOULD NEVER MATE,
and taurs aren't real.
ok
Haven't you ever seen that picture describing Christianity as the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who is is own father?  Since when does the spirit make sense according to manifest limitations?

Anyway, I'd like to propose a way in which one could have a spiritual connection with a hybrid of those two species who "would never mate."  Karama.  Contrary to popular belief it isn't some system of divine punishment and reward, it's the idea that everything you so will live a spiritual imprint on you and make you more likely to do that thing as it is now a small part of who you are.  This is what is supposed to decide how you are incarnated; you act enough like one thing and your spirit will get so many imprints of that sort that when it's time to be reborn that's the only body your soul will "fit" in.  Anyway, while you would presumably accumulate enough karma to effectively erase old marks on your soul that could take hundreds or thousands of incarnations, which would explain why some people claim to be aware of several previous incarnations.

Now, to PinkPlushii specifically.  There is always the very real possibility that PinkPlushii was incarnated as both a Red Wolf and as a Fennec recently.  Assuming this is true they would have existed in PinkPlushii's psyche right along with any other old incarnations, but PinkPlushii may have better actualized those two lives and integrated them into her psyche.  The natural result of that process is that they would not only become one with each other but also one with PinkPlushii's personality.

So I'm not sure about taurs, but that's one way of ending up with a red wolf/fennec and a therian thereof.

Pet's name: Keahi
Adopt your own!