Author Topic: Fashion statement, or death wish?  (Read 10901 times)

Offline Kayle

• Species: Fox
  • Hallelujah, lock and load!
  • Male
Re: Fashion statement, or death wish?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:18 pm »
Our school dress code is really strict, too, but they haven't outlawed collars yet!  However, we do have to:

1.  Tuck our shirts in, all the time.  (guys)
2.  No flip flops at all.
3.  No facial hair. 
4.  No hair past the eartips.  (guys)
5.  No ear rings.  (guys)

And that's just the basics.  I'm suprised collars aren't there somewhere, but I couldn't find anything on 'em. :D

"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company."
-Mark Twain

Anyone use Telegram?  Hit me up!  Username is KayleStorm!

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 03:18:21 pm »
Wow that dress code sucks... :(

-I'd be annoyed, at the most.

-Never been one for flip flops much, so... :D

3.  No facial hair. 
-Yeah...that'd probably be a good rule for me. I rarely keep clean shaven, out of laziness... x_x

-Here though, I'd be screwed. :o

-Well...don't actually one, yet. (:

But if collars aren't on it, I'd take advantage of that!  8)

F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Kayle

• Male
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 03:25:08 pm »
I'll try to find a list of all our dress code stuff and post it here so everyone can laugh at it. :D
-Mark Twain

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 03:47:43 pm »
My last couple years of high school, they tried to enforce some kind of dress code...didn't work. No guys would tuck in their shirts (with dress shirts, or otherwise), stuff like that. But the prinicipal did manage to ban any music player in the school (except that most teachers let us use them anyway), stopped drinks in the classroom (again, it was the teachers that neglected that rule and let us a lot of the time  :o). It was rather funny...until one of the administrators walked in  x_x

I know there weren't rules on collars, but the teachers didn't like that sort of thing. Even made me stop wearing a chain choker I had in 9th grade.  :'(
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 03:51:20 pm »

BOO, I'd fight that.

that one sucks i know but in my school we actually got the school to allow flip flops after much preasure :)

3.  No facial hair. 

thats just moronic. I'd FIGHT that one for sure.

YARGH!!!! I'LL NEVER CUT MY HAIR. they'd have to expell me before i cut my hair >:(

that would suck but it doesnt effect me.

ma I would be such a pain in the administrators backs  :D

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Furlong

• Hail Ilpalazzo!
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:02 pm »
Some of those I can understand, from a liability POV.  The school doesn't want to get sued when a student breaks a toe. 

That said, apart from the flip flop thing, those a ridiculous. 
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."
Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

MATHEMATICS: Description of the world devised by geniuses that in no way resembles it whatsoever.

Thanks to millislim for the awesome avatar.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »
Some of those I can understand, from a liability POV.  The school doesn't want to get sued when a student breaks a toe. 

The flip-flop thing is ridiculous too. If you manage to break your toe while wearing flip-flops, you're doing it wrong.

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »
The flip-flop thing is ridiculous too. If you manage to break your toe while wearing flip-flops, you're doing it wrong.

I couldnt agree with this more. I wear sandals/flip flops all the time and any one who hurts them selves while wearing them fails at walking.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Furlong

• Hail Ilpalazzo!
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »

True enough.  

My thinking was more along the lines of things like theater (which I did a lot of in high school) where closed toe shoes are a necessity.  
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."
Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

MATHEMATICS: Description of the world devised by geniuses that in no way resembles it whatsoever.

Thanks to millislim for the awesome avatar.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 04:37:59 pm »
I can also see why flip flops would be a hazard, but not for most. Theater, shop class (do any schools still have that?), Agriculture/animal science (if you actually deal with larger animals like we did), P.E. classes (to a degree anyway), all pose a hazard. So, I can see it for those types of things.

And then consider that my Animal Science class had to build the barn (well...convert an old tool shed into a barn, more-or-less  :o), so it was like having Ag. and Shop at once   :D

P.S.: Cows can hurt your feet whether or not you have flip flops on, but it helps to have on closed-toe shoes. 

Offline Kaiyoki

• Tickled octarine?
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 01:46:52 am »
Closed shoes are essential for metalwork, the sparks flying out of the welding bays will hurt any exposed skin, that didn't stop a classmate from burning a hole though this shoe though.

Offline Edward Vulpes

• Mmm... Fish-shaped volatile organic compounds.
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 08:10:16 am »
Our school dress code is really strict, too, but they haven't outlawed collars yet!  However, we do have to:

3.  No facial hair. 

And that's just the basics.  I'm suprised collars aren't there somewhere, but I couldn't find anything on 'em. :D

Oh, I had a similar dress code throughout my Middle and High School years. I remember always wanting to grow my hair out, due to the fact that we had also precisely rule #4 above, but when I got to university I found it was just an annoyance to have hair any longer than that.

But the sandals thing is reasonable, or at least to me. One can't wear open-toed shoes at all in the laboratory, after all, and they do present a hazard for physical education courses, as well.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." -Albert Einstein
"Small child, I have fangs and claws. Please let go of my tail." -Moi

Offline Ratchet

• The urban fox
  • Male
    • astrofox.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 04:19:03 pm »
When i was at highschool they didn't really have a dress code or a uniform, if i remember right you weren't allowed jeans (?) or open toed shoes but anything else was ok iirc, not that i ever wore anything that would annoy them.

I seem to recall one of my friends regularly wearing a collar to school in 5th year though but he was a goth rather than a furry (doubt if many people even knew what furries were in the UK at that time)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:24:07 pm by Ratchet »
Is that what the future holds ? Kevlar or cherry wood ? malevolence or good ?
fur code: FCF3adrw A C- D H M- P- R+ T+++ W Z+ Sm+ RLE* a clmu++++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j+ p- sm--

My Live Journal: http://astrovulpine.livejournal.com/

Offline prettylilpup

• Female
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 11:29:49 pm »
I can also see why flip flops would be a hazard, but not for most. Theater, shop class (do any schools still have that?), Agriculture/animal science (if you actually deal with larger animals like we did), P.E. classes (to a degree anyway), all pose a hazard. So, I can see it for those types of things.

And then consider that my Animal Science class had to build the barn (well...convert an old tool shed into a barn, more-or-less  :o), so it was like having Ag. and Shop at once   :D

P.S.: Cows can hurt your feet whether or not you have flip flops on, but it helps to have on closed-toe shoes. 
You had an animal science course in high school? That is awesome. Mine had/has a shop class, and a "technology" class where we did one wood-working project...(I hated that class, the teacher treated me rudely based on gender, and I was the only girl in there). :( But definitely a closed-toed shoe environment during the wood project. I normally wore sneakers anyways.
I've been stepped on by a cow plenty of times while working with them. It hurts, and of course, I had on closed-toed shoes. Ouch!

More on topic, dress codes usually have a reason, even if it is not understood by students/employees/whoever. If collars/chokers are not allowed, there's a reason behind it: Even if it is only to keep students looking neat and professional. The only rules I can recall from my school were: no tank tops and shorts/skirts had to be past your finger tips if you put your arms straight down- stupid rule considering this worked differently for different body types. Nothing on collars, but then again, nobody wore them so it didn't matter.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 11:53:03 pm »
More on topic, dress codes usually have a reason, even if it is not understood by students/employees/whoever. If collars/chokers are not allowed, there's a reason behind it: Even if it is only to keep students looking neat and professional. The only rules I can recall from my school were: no tank tops and shorts/skirts had to be past your finger tips if you put your arms straight down- stupid rule considering this worked differently for different body types. Nothing on collars, but then again, nobody wore them so it didn't matter.

Yeah, we had essentially the same type of dress code as you just said. It is based on just a sense of decency.

Offline Kayle

• Male
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 08:43:55 am »
Yeah, but decency is one thing.  Idiocy is another.  They've now made it a rule that if you get caught with too much facial hair, they send you to the office, where you have to pay $1 for a disposable razor and shave.  They don't even give you shaving cream, or even soap.  Just a cheap razor, and if you can't pay the $1, you get on campus suspension for a day.  This is bad for me, since I always forget to shave, but they haven't caught me yet!
-Mark Twain

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 10:29:41 am »
Ugh...that would be annoying. But, I usually had no problem remembering to shave in high school. Now, on the other paw, I go for a couple weeks at a time without shaving, so...

Offline Greeblig Venn Aridarr

• No, Cheesoid! That's petrol, not cheese!
  • Female
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:13 am »
I'm going to start wearing a tail. People stare at me anyway, a may as well give them with something to look at.
When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/aridarr/

Searching for someone who will listen to me sing to myself from outside the door without ever letting me know they can hear me...

Offline prettylilpup

• Female
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:51 am »
Yeah, but decency is one thing.  Idiocy is another.  They've now made it a rule that if you get caught with too much facial hair, they send you to the office, where you have to pay $1 for a disposable razor and shave.  They don't even give you shaving cream, or even soap.  Just a cheap razor, and if you can't pay the $1, you get on campus suspension for a day.  This is bad for me, since I always forget to shave, but they haven't caught me yet!
Okay, that does seem rather excessive.

Offline Sancer

• K.
  • Male
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 12:07:46 pm »

BOO, I'd fight that.

that one sucks i know but in my school we actually got the school to allow flip flops after much preasure :)

3.  No facial hair. 

thats just moronic. I'd FIGHT that one for sure.

YARGH!!!! I'LL NEVER CUT MY HAIR. they'd have to expell me before i cut my hair >:(

that would suck but it doesnt effect me.

ma I would be such a pain in the administrators backs  :D
Good luck with that, you'd get expelled. xD

Offline Xester

• DONT PANIC!
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 03:12:35 am »
my dress code states "no studded accessories"...the only kids who wear studded accessories scare the crap out of the teachers...im sure i can pull off a collar. :D
duct tape is like the force. It has a dark side, a light side, and i holds the universe together.

Offline Wolf Axle

• Male
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 10:55:23 pm »
i wondering if i should go with black faux fur in the inside of my gray collar or should i get one with only the grey? or should i get one of each then go from there.
oh and speaking of dress codes at my school

Pet's name: Iruu Darra
Adopt your own!
my fur code: FCW A+ C- D+++ H++ P++++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm RLWC a- c++ e- f++++ h* i++ j++++

Offline Glimmer

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 01:30:04 am »
I wore my collar shopping a few times, never wore it to school, (never owned it when I as in school)  :D I'll have to ware mine more often when I'm shopping.
Now i just can't pretend to forget,
These voices in my head,
And they just won't stop screaming.

--Wednesday13

Offline Motor Mouth

• Your girlfriend's favorite cuddle buddy.
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity Page
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03:39 pm »
Me personally, I wouldn't wear a collar at school or anywhere, I don't think it would go with any of my outfits :P. But to each their own, I know a couple people at school that could pull it off and just get the usual amount of stares. At mine if it's anything but styles from the 'burbs or the 'hood then you'll get stared at. Shame.
New fursona, new account, new hotness ----->http://www.furaffinity.net/user/TDK/

Offline Wolf Axle

• Male
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:11 am »

3.  No facial hair. 

does a tail count as hair past ear tips??

Pet's name: Iruu Darra
Adopt your own!
my fur code: FCW A+ C- D+++ H++ P++++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm RLWC a- c++ e- f++++ h* i++ j++++