Author Topic: Why do you wear your collar, tail, ears, ect.?  (Read 23899 times)

Offline FoxyFox

• Female
Why do you wear your collar, tail, ears, ect.?
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »
So I've been looking around at the treads here and I keep seeing things like...  I got my tail!, or I wore my tail in public!, or see my new collar!

Those threads are awesome but I already know that you wear a collar/tail/ears/ ect.  I mean we're furries right?  Thats what we do. :)  What I'm wondering is why you do.

I wear my collar all the time to symbolize to others that I'm a furry and to have a place (other than a keychain) for my cute little trinkets.  Like my little metal dog paw and such.  I wear my tail to be different and to see the reactions I can get out of people.

So what are your reasons to wear a collar or other furry clothing/accessories?

Pet's name: Synder
Adopt your own!

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: Why do you wear your collar, tail, ears, ect.?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »
It may have something to do with keeping connected to your fursona, but then again, I'm either a red panda, or a lynx, so I don't know for sure, so neither of those animals even wear collars!

That aside, Its somewhat of a fashion statement, saying "I'm not afraid to show who I am", but to a point, its like trying to pass a message on. 

When people ask me why I wear my collar, I usually respond with "Personal reasons," or "trying to make a statement".  Their responses "How can you make a statement if you won't tell somebody what the statement is?

The statement, is that you're a fur, yes, obvious.  Though, to some, or some that aren't quite as open as I am around friends, he or she might keep to themselves.  If the person wondering has any curiosity, or the guts to ask, he or she will.  This happened once.

Random girl: "...are you a furry >.<?"

Me: "yeah, actually, I am"

Her: "so am I >.<!!!!" *Runs away*

Never saw her again, but oh well

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:35:52 pm »
Hmmm... what about fursuits? I think it was kobuk who made a thread like that earlier...

Anyways, I don't have a collar, nor 'just' ears/tail; I like to make and wear fursuits simply for the creative fun of it, and the enjoyment of physically fitting my self perception a bit better too...
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:24:36 am »
i wear my collar to holp connect me to animals, i've always had pets and the gingle was always a very happy noise in my life, so if i wear something that gives of that sound it makes me happy in un itself.

plus its got the furry fandom connection, but now that i've worn my collar for over a year, it truly has become a part of who i am and i will always wear it now.

as for my tail and ears, thats truly a fursona connection. specially the tail.

but i havnt worn my ears in so long its gonna be odd going back to wearing them alot more, but i really want to ^.^

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline FoxyFox

• Female
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:56:53 pm »
Cool thanks guys. ^_^  I'm a very curious fox and was just wondering if everyone wore theirs for the same reason I do.

Oh and shim, I had a similar experience to yours.  One of my friends brought this random girl with him when we were hanging out once.  She took one look at me and said "your a furry aren't you."  I was kinda shocked at the bluntness but said "yea, I am."  and she was like "your a fox.  I have a friend that's a wolf."  And that was it.  She didn't say anything else the whole time we were hanging out, and I haven;t seen her since.  It was weird.   It wasn't like she was trying to be mean either.  She said it like a statement.  And I just had my collar on, no tail.  So I don;t know how she knew I was a fox.  That was the weirdest part.

Pet's name: Synder
Adopt your own!

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:07:53 pm »
I guess I really wear it for a few reasons.
-First, and fore most, as a sign I am a furry (if anyone notices/knows).
-Secondly...I'm just weird like that. I like to kinda throw older elements of the punk/goth scene in when I can, and collars were a part of it to some degree. Even if mine is very obviously a dog collar.
-Lastly, and I can't really explain this one, it just makes me more comfortable to have on a collar. Which is very odd in that I don't generally like anything around my neck that tight/close, or I start to panic and freak out. But yet I still more comfortable and calm if I able to wear my collar.

I actually started wearing one on occasion before I knew about furries. But then wore one a great deal when I was living on campus and going to college. And still wear one on occasion now, if I get the urge.

I had a similar experience to what was said earlier too; it was great. I was getting a cup of coffee (which was pretty much keeping me alive then) and the lady that ran the coffee bar in the dining hall noticed it. She asked if i was a furry. So I said yes. Then she went on to tell me a friend of her's was too, and that I should get a tag that had my "funny little name on it", I believe she put it. Was a real nice person, that one.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »
I guess, wearing it makes me feel unique.  Walking through a highschool of 5000, you feel like you're nothing.  Its odd, because usually, I don't like to attract that type of attention.  Now, as I'm wearing it, I feel unique.  And when I take it off, I'm just every other boring, mundane person out there

Offline vlad

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:53:16 pm »
I wear my collar for a non-furry reason. I'm a collared submissive, so wearing it signifies that I have someone who loves me, someone I take care of, and someone I belong to. Being collared is a subtle reminder that I need to behave in a way that would make my partner proud of me. ^-^

When I wear my ears (still awaiting my tail) I wear them because they're cute. That's pretty much it. I don't feel the need to connect to my fursona any more than I feel the need to connect to other characters I roleplay. I just like the look of ears and a tail.
Actually, there's one other reason. I feel like the ears/tail/other costume parts I hope to attain signify a different mindset. Its kind of like I'm a kid playing dress up. I get to act sillier when I'm wearing them.

Offline Battery

• Male
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 04:30:20 pm »
I guess, wearing it makes me feel unique.  Walking through a highschool of 5000, you feel like you're nothing.  Its odd, because usually, I don't like to attract that type of attention.  Now, as I'm wearing it, I feel unique.  And when I take it off, I'm just every other boring, mundane person out there

Same here.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:28:45 am »

seconded, seconded, seconded.

It's my unique brand. It's a way of making me feel more like myself.  :)
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline DogboyShugo

• Male
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »
I don't have any ears or tails myself but I would totally wear a tail and ears. I own paws though but they're white and i dont want them getting dirty.

I like to wear things like that because I think the style is adorable. Like those cat boys or dog boys or anything you see in japanese animation. Just so cute ^^
~lost in my own paradox~

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:26:01 pm »
I don't have any ears or tails myself but I would totally wear a tail and ears. I own paws though but they're white and i dont want them getting dirty.

I like to wear things like that because I think the style is adorable. Like those cat boys or dog boys or anything you see in japanese animation. Just so cute ^^

A collar is very simple...People buy from collar factory, and friends have been hinting at a little something for my birthday, but my big, black collar I wear?  Cheap nylon, a buckle, $6 at petsmart

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »

A collar is very simple...People buy from collar factory, and friends have been hinting at a little something for my birthday, but my big, black collar I wear?  Cheap nylon, a buckle, $6 at petsmart

Yeah, I just got my collar  (: yesterday for 5 bucks at petsmart. It's just a simple blue nylon collar that I put a yellow pin-on button to. Although I have to admit I felt kinda silly trying out the different sizes in the store to see which one fit me. (I'm a medium by the way) The only problem is that my school has a dresscode.

HOWEVER

My dresscode states: "Shirts with collars are expected."

MWAHAHAHAHA!
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Black Foot

• Me in my Wolf form
  • Male
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
Well I wear a collar not for a goth thing even though goths wear collars but most of them have spikes or a lot of "D" rings on it. I just have a connection to animals especially the canine ones. Now for wild dogs they don't wear collars unless they were tamed by a human that has raised them when they were abandoned by there mothers/pack. I wear ears/tails/paws because I love how they feel and I want to get in touch with my inner characters that I possess.
In Memory of Balto the one who saved a dog sled person & his dogs from cold temperatures.

Pets name: SandStorm
Adopt your own!

TO all that lives in the Darkness be proud of it and to those who

Offline Kodakk

• OMG ITS A BEAR!
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 04:35:24 pm »
hmmm, i never really thought about why i wear my bear ears in public. i just do. it makes me feel good, i guess. i am axtremely proud to be a furry and i display it with my ears.  :D

Offline furry4lyfe

• rawrr ::swipes paw at you::
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 09:58:46 pm »
I wear a tail, ears, and a collar on a daily basis! Im lucky that where I work its okay for me to do this. I feel like im being my true self and that I am  opening up the beast inside. Its liberating to have what you feel on the inside match whats you see on the outside. Specially with the ears, I know its not really possible but sometimes I feel like I can even hear better! And with my tail I feel that I have a stronger sense of balance! My mate and I exchanged collars on our anniversary so it is very special to me! BAsically I wear my collar and tail and ears to show my furry PRIDE!
 :D

"If the true meaning of furry you wish to understand
You must think in terms of paw and not hand"
-air bud ghandi hybrid

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:40 pm »
I wear a tail, ears, and a collar on a daily basis! Im lucky that where I work its okay for me to do this.

Your workplace "allows" you to do this?  :o  :o What kind of work do you do? I would tend to think that most jobs would not allow their employees to do such things due to dress codes or something else. I find it hard to believe you can get away with this.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:13:45 pm »
I wear a tail, ears, and a collar on a daily basis! Im lucky that where I work its okay for me to do this.

Your workplace "allows" you to do this?  :o  :o What kind of work do you do? I would tend to think that most jobs would not allow their employees to do such things due to dress codes or something else. I find it hard to believe you can get away with this.

This assumes though, that his place is even such a huge "job".  I know that at some places, there flat-out isn't a dresscode.  Geno's East, (2nd best pizza on the planet), doesn't even have a dress-code, because they like to have their people dress casually or weirdly,

Ed debevics, (another restaurant "around" here.) Has their waiters just act crazy.  Dress up in weird costumes, yell and scream a lot, will occasionally sit down at your table and just start casual conversation while casually creeping toward your fries :P

Offline ominipotentgoldfish

• Special When Lit
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 02:10:08 pm »
I wear a collar almost all the time.  I used to get some looks, now I get compliments.  As for ears and a tail, the closest I have it as hat, given to me as a gift, which I wear when it's cold.  Because it's a hat.  Other than that, I don't have anything else.
Even Speedwagon is afraid! D:

Offline Cakez the Husky

• Cakez the Husky
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »
I wear mine because i like it :D Usally people jsut ask me why im wearing a dog collar. I got one compliment from a girl she said she liked it XD
Cakez the Husky!
A very loving Husky! <3

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »

This assumes though, that his place is even such a huge "job".  I know that at some places, there flat-out isn't a dresscode.  Geno's East, (2nd best pizza on the planet), doesn't even have a dress-code, because they like to have their people dress casually or weirdly,

Ed debevics, (another restaurant "around" here.) Has their waiters just act crazy.  Dress up in weird costumes, yell and scream a lot, will occasionally sit down at your table and just start casual conversation while casually creeping toward your fries :P
...or self-employed, or working from home, etc.
I mean, there are sometimes logical reasons why you wouldn't wear XYZ when doing ABC though.

ie, wearing a fursuit, or a wool sweater for that matter, is a bad idea if you're doing computer commissions.  :D
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Angelikit

• Female
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 10:08:46 pm »
I wear my collar for a non-furry reason. I'm a collared submissive, so wearing it signifies that I have someone who loves me, someone I take care of, and someone I belong to. Being collared is a subtle reminder that I need to behave in a way that would make my partner proud of me. ^-^

Pretty much this - for me as well, anyway. Also because I think it suits me and I love the feel/look of leather.

And I'll be wearing my Bir (from FAF) tail a lot when I get it,, because it will feel as thought it's part of me  (have worn a different one around the house a lot with my Master petting/stroking it/me, it's kinda hard to explain how it feels...), so it'll simply be an extension of my fursona/cat-like personality/behaviour, I guess.

Offline Palaeofox

• Male
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »
I have several collars and leashes for both furry and non-furry reasons  :-[... Well, I guess they are all furry reasons really. I also have a tail and I'm getting some handpaws. I used to wear my stuff around the house when I first got it a lot more. Now I don't wear it so much, its just effort  :D

Offline Rjgano

• I don't know what to put here. I thought I'd share
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:31 pm »
     I have nothing, but tryed on fox ears once and walked around, it made me feel right, and unique

although I don't own any , I need to buy some >:|  (seeing as I am not to good at crafts)
In these 400 characters, I will waste precious space with my uniquely typed letter Es EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline James Moon

• Chesapeake Bay Retriever
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 06:40:28 pm »
I really enjoy wearing my collar (when no one is around). Even before I was willing to call myself a furry I would wear my dogs old collar =/

I just dont know why I do it lol
PSN =  drakemoon (Add me)

FC2a H W Sm RLRB a cn++ f-- i++ j+++ p-- sm--