Author Topic: I need a backstory for a card game.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
I need a backstory for a card game.
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:30:22 am »
I have a card game I'm working on which I think could use a good backstory with lots of character development in order to make it a richer, deeper gaming experience. However, I'm not really a writer. So I either need help, or need a pre-existing story or story series to work from. 

A brief description of the game: Each player would get their own deck (and no, this is not a ccg). There would be different decks for each of the different factions. Each round of game play is essentially a battle, where the outcome of the battle is greatly affected by the arrangement of the involved unit cards (which represents their formation for the battle).

The core mechanics of the game are already worked out, so the backstory needs to fit this. Which is to say, it needs to fit the idea of a series of battles. It would also help is there are several different sides at conflict since the game can have more than two players. I'm thinking up to 6, though it's too early to say if that's too many.  I have ideas for theme, but really it's still at an early enough stage of development it would not be hard to modify.  I also have a lot of ideas for abilities of different units, but I'd like to have them tied to the story and theme. Which is why character development is important since I was planning on each unit being a different character. (which is not to say that there cannot be generic characters; stories commonly have non-specific characters.)

Note: I'm not looking to hire a writer or anything like that; there is no promise of money here. What I'm looking for is something like one of the following:

-Have someone who is a decent writer who already has a story series which closely matches what I'm looking for, and I could use that as source material to pull from for the game's design. In this case, they'd benefit by the game acting as advertisement for their work. Assuming, of course, that I can eventually get the game published.

-Possibly have someone to work with as a co-developer. This would have to be someone that's a good writer, but that also likes board and card games a lot. It would need to be someone that I can get along very well with, since I feel a sense of ownership on what I have for the game so far, and I wouldn't want that to get destroyed if things don't go well. (Honestly, I have a hard time trusting others with the development of stuff like this, since I find it all too true that "if you want something done right....".)

-Failing other possibilities, I'll probably try to work out a deeper backstory on my own. In which case, tips on how to go about doing this might be helpful. Though honestly, I'd much rather focus on the game aspects than the story. So this is not my favored option.

Offline socal Rocky

• Male
Re: I need a backstory for a card game.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:23:49 pm »
I can only offer some ideas since I'm not heavy into card games, but I do play some Magic tcg and have some other card game experience... Just not a lot.

The first thing I'd like to ask is what era would you like it set in? If you'd like a reference check out the anime Code Geass. There are lots of battles BUT the focus is on certain characters and their personal motives. Those motivations are why they do the things they do. Also, look at Star Wars (preferably the original trilogy) and consider how each character has their flaws that make them human. Don't forget that they also have their motives. motives can be revenge, safety from an enemy, money, seeing a goal occur or a change happen, etc and can be positive OR selfish motives.

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »
This sounds like it could be fun, however I am more and more finding my plate a little full at the moment. What with the two board games I'm working on developing, the RPG system, the book, the couple RPGs I'm playing in, College, and a part time job. However that's not to say my idea machine hasn't already started churning out some. For example do alliances and betrayals factor in at all to this game?

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:50:43 pm »
For example do alliances and betrayals factor in at all to this game?
Not currently, but that doesn't mean it isn't a possibility. This is part of why I want to get a backstory before things are too set in. The direction I take it will likely depend on how the story works in with it.

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:50:49 am »
With alliances and betrayals, encourage note passing if you allow it. Because notes are awesome.