Author Topic: being furry out in the world  (Read 18380 times)

Offline Mortuest

• Fur-curious
  • Male
Re: being furry out in the world
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 01:01:24 am »
For anyone worrying about what people think about you in High School:  I used to wear odd clothes at school, trencoats before they were cool, and never, in my years after high school and college, have I met anyone that remembers who I was or what I wore, even though I recognized them.  As for anything before High School, I don't think any of them exist anymore.

End result: do what makes you feel free in school.  Your friends will accept you and the people that don't, well they don't matter and won't make any difference after school.

Offline Zanner

• Vermont Rocks! Maybie..
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »
*skips everyting*

It is awkward to do so for no apparent reason - hell, it's awkward to do so period, but we still do. Why? beacuse it's fun and garners attention. And dispute it as much as you may want to, unless you are with a lot of other furries, you would do such a thing to get attention, otherwise what would it matter what you wear - it's a matter of self-expression, therefore, expressing to others who you are via clothing/accessories

Myself, i will never wear furry things out in public unless it is in a setting with a lot of other furs, or perhaps with a logo t-shirt or something of the sort. I have my fashion sense, and it does not include 'furry' accessories - i have on occasion worn my fursuit head to get looks while driving, or on certain days have gone suiting just for the fun of it, and to get some interesting looks - but one must always be cautious in so doing such things.
The meaning of life, is to live it.<br /><br />____<br /><br />Nothing is impossible, only improbable.

My FurAffinity page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zanner/

Offline Mylo

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 12:24:14 am »
I don't wear my ears or tail very often -- mostly at cons.  But, when I do where them at cons, that usually includes a certain amount of travel time around the con area, looking for restaurants or whatnot, where I'm the only obvious furry around.

Offline Wolfcoon

• Pikachu!
  • Female
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 01:52:49 pm »
I ALWAYS wear my wolf ears and my blue bandana around my house! :D They make me feel special! :) I'm thinking of wearing my ears to school but I'm afraid of how my friends will react... I'm thinking of telling my two bestfriends that I'm a Furry and see how they will react.  ;) As for wearing my Furry Accessories outside of my house...I've never tried it except for when I take out the trash and get stuff out of my mom's car then I like to wear my ears.
Fursona name: Mimki Wolf I'm a Gray Wolf

Pokemon is and always has been my favorite Show!

Furries Unite!! X3

Keep Calm And Eat Tacos.

Yesterday was history, Tomorrow is a mystery, and Today is a gift, that's why it's called "Present.

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 06:39:30 am »
I ALWAYS wear my ears where ever I go >w< I only take them off if I shower and sleep...basically lol. When I do go out to eat/shop whatever with my parents I wear my tail around as well :3! I've worn my 'furhands' out a few times also. I get some smiles/laughs/nice comments oO random pictures. But, I don't care if people are 'laughing behind my back' xD at least ~I~ put a smile to their face! HAH, I win! Besides that, I love being my weird, unique self and I love to let people know that way *Shakes head slowly* so of course I just let them have their 'fun', whilst I have mine. I do really enjoy the people with the nice comments and smiles though :'3 they just make like...everything better lol. My parents (dad really) use to not be too okay with me wearing my tail out >w< but haha, I wore it anyways and now it's like "Whatever, she'll do what she must" I guess xD!

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline LuminescentLioness

• Female
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:50 am »
I wear my collar on an everyday basis.. of course, people look, and some ask.. but I have no problem with it really.. i just laugh and defer them away from the question if im at work... I really would hate for people to complain to someone about me being "weird" and lossing my job... again... As for out in public.. I have Not worn my ears or tail.. but I'd really love to at some point...

Offline TheComet

• There's always room for more foxes.
  • Male
    • My FA page!
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »
I don't wear my ears or tail very often -- mostly at cons.  But, when I do where them at cons, that usually includes a certain amount of travel time around the con area, looking for restaurants or whatnot, where I'm the only obvious furry around.

Well played sir.

I've got a raccoon hat I wear around when the weather permits, but nothing other than that.

I do have mountains of furry miniatures though :P

Offline Kek

• i need to get a job
  • Female
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »
I have this really old 'tail' made of yarn bands from 6 years ago(its a miracle it hasnt fallen apart, though it is rather stretched from little cousins pulling on it) and a racoon beanie that lost its nose. Since its summer i dont wear the hat but i always wear the tail. its ironic though that the tail is patterned like one of my OCs tails even though i made it LONG before i was furry. guess it was my destiny to be a furry :3
I'm just another teenage furry, though im not all that active in the fandom due to not wanting to associate myself with a fandom with such a bad rep. If anyone remembers me from a couple years ago when i first joined id like to formally apologize for you having to suffer that. im potatolumps on tumblr if you want to check out my blog or whatever, just know i dont often post anything furry related

Offline Alden the Fox

• Species: White Fox
  • Feldwebel
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 12:40:25 am »
For me, wearing a fursuit is a means of escaping from all the stress of being Human :P.  It makes me feel like two different people. And, I suppose, for other people who don't know me, I am.

The reactions I've got are mostly positive, although, I don't know if people asking if they can scratch behind my ears, petting me, and squeezing my tail are positive responses... I don't know if being mistaken for a wolf is positive either...
A gay fox who also reenacts WWII Germany. :P

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 11:32:46 pm »
Being furry out in the world... hmm...

Yes, I suppose I do express an interest in furry through my fashion choices. I have some ears/tail and fake fur winter hats with ears.

I don't live in a big city with a lot of universities and a strong arts/culture scene either, where you might expect to see people dressing in unexpected ways. I live in a small town.

The few times I've worn my hat while out shopping, there actually hasn't been much reaction. But that could be because I'm a bit shy and typically avoid eye contact and small talk with strangers. I'm happy for anyone who has gotten positive reactions. Way to go!  :)

I've never even been to a convention or have ever met another furry in real life. My knowledge and communication with other furries is entirely through the Internet.

I'm normally shy and don't seek attention. So wearing anything "furry", something that will obviously draw attention, is something very different for me.

While I don't go around telling people that I'm a furry, I don't hide it either.

The last time I wore my green tail to school, I got told to take it off as it was a "Distraction to the learning environment", apparently. However, while i had it on.... I got a lot of sarcastic remarks about it. "nice tail said with a tone that could curdle milk in your stomach. Not a pleasant experience. If I EVER try and wear a tail to school again, it'll be during character day. Or, in college.

Dressing a little differently isn't really a distraction. Is it a "distraction" if someone is very tall, or has red hair, or has eyeglasses with thick lenses, has an overbite, or brown shoes instead of black shoes? The other students and teachers must be bad people who hate anyone who is different from them and look for excuses to bully others. And wearing a tail makes you an easy target, since not many people dress that way.

It is my belief that dress codes should be banned from schools, the workplace, even prison, and everywhere else. This is because individuality and freedom of expression are basic human rights or should be. And people don't all have to look the same or act exactly the same in order for society to function. A society of hive mind robots stifles things like arts, cultures, new ideas, and new innovations and inventions.

With that said, you may have to pick your battles very carefully until you're an adult and have money to support yourself. Best of luck to you!  8)

Edit: Added some stuff, changed a couple words around to make things clearer, etc.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:09:50 am by werecat2012 »

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »
its tough when mean people know
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Alden the Fox

• Species: White Fox
  • Feldwebel
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 08:08:59 pm »

Dressing a little differently isn't really a distraction. Is it a "distraction" if someone is very tall, or has red hair, or has eyeglasses with thick lenses, has an overbite, or brown shoes instead of black shoes? The other students and teachers must be bad people who hate anyone who is different from them and look for excuses to bully others. And wearing a tail makes you an easy target, since not many people dress that way.

It is my belief that dress codes should be banned from schools, the workplace, even prison, and everywhere else. This is because individuality and freedom of expression are basic human rights or should be. And people don't all have to look the same or act exactly the same in order for society to function. A society of hive mind robots stifles things like arts, cultures, new ideas, and new innovations and inventions.

yeah, this is my favorite quote now.
A gay fox who also reenacts WWII Germany. :P

Offline Kitsune the Wolfdog

• Female
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »
I have a furry hat with goat horns and ears. I had it on at the movies once and some lady inline yelled "Cute horns!"  :)

Offline KitKatPurrpurr

• Species: Deer, jaguar
  • Jagdeer
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »
I've never worn anything like that out. I do have some cat ears and stuff, but they're just costume-y stuff.

If anything, I'd probably wear my cat's old collar (if I ever find it), but most likely not. The fact I'm a furry is pretty unknown to the world, which is something I'm not exactly eager to change. The main reason for that being my parents don't exactly like furries. At least, the last time I checked. I think they'd think it's immature or that even worse, they'd say "you said you were a Therian but you're really a furry" or whatever. I don't really know, and that second thing is probably just me being ridiculous. Either way, I'd have to hide it from them if I wanted to show it off.

Another thing, I don't like to stand out. While some of you might say "show all those people who don't like it that you don't care because you're expressing yourself!", I say "I am expressing myself by not wearing anything furry out in public." I'm very practical and I know that most people think it's weird or would come to the wrong conclusion about me if I wore furry stuff, which is partially why I don't. I am proud to be a furry, but I'm aware that when I'm out in public I should probably not be drawing attention to myself. It's a social norm to not try and stand out, which is totally fine. I have my friends and family to be weird and wacky with, that's what they're for. The one time I saw two guys at the airport wearing ears and tails, I thought it was weird and wondered why they would do that in public. It just confused me.

Not trying to rag on all of you who do, I just know that if I saw someone wearing a tail or ears, my stomach would start to churn. And I think the main reason is because most people think furries are weird, and having them stand out like that only makes it worse. Subtlety is my way, I guess, and if I'm gonna show off a big part of me, I'm going to do it quietly and with great care as to not make a huge statement.

Offline Dj sky jr

• Male
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »
i have a wolf hat with paws on it. i were it all the time. to school,going out,moves,ect.

Offline Ezrah

• Species: Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix
  • (AKA Geiger)
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:19 am »
Not exactly fond of wearing anything like what some do. Never even liked dressing up for Halloween. People in Maryland are weirded out by anything that is slightly over vanilla. Right now I'm in PA at college but yeah. I'm very quiet about my furriness.

Well, I do hang out with some buds who are fur-suiters and a couple that just wear a tail or collar bak in Maryland that is. I hang with them when they wear the tails or done up in their fur suit sometimes. People have pulled me off to the side to be asked, "Why are you hanging out with those...yadda yadda...weirdos?" I tell em, "Oh, I thought weirdness was normal. Who are you to tell me who to hang with?"  >:( The nerve of some people. I'm just not that comfortable as some with wearing things that people get nippy about. When I'm alone in public, I just worry. I don't know, maybe it'll change...I mean I am 18 years old, I can make whatever decisions I want. 8)

Sorry bout this short essay I wrote. :P Just expressing my thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:48:32 pm by Ezrah »
Come and join the party dressed to kill.

Avatar done by Star-gazer on FurAffinity.

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 10:19:59 pm »
I've worn my tail to a rock concert.  It was fun, a group of people wanted pictures.  Aside from that, I'm pretty low-key.  I don't hide it, but I don't act or look stereotypically furry.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline dodbringr

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:08 pm »
We would wear a collar if we owned one...
Other then that, we don't wear furry-related stuff, which is a shame because we would if we were allowed. Everyone we know is very much against different stuff like that, so it's almost impossible to be unique when everyone is holding you back. Oh well...

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 08:36:37 pm »
I wear a collar and tail inside(I'm waering them now ;) ) but not outside (Dad doesn't want me too  :( )

Offline Revant

• Hi there.
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »
I used get a lot of positive comments when I wore my tail and my wolf ears (I made them with yarn), some of my classmates even wanted to make their own.

The usual comments were things like "You really made my day", "Your tail... its awesome where did you but it?", "How does he use the bathroom?", etc.  :D    I usually have a lot of fun, few people asked me the reason why I was wearing a tail. It's a very interesting story, but its long and I don't have much spare time.

I can no longer wear them in High School because it disturbs the "Seriousness" of the classroom. Yeah, right, seriousness....  >:(
What color is a chameleon on a mirror?
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 01:30:12 pm »
I tends to wear my collar and my tail nearly all the time! Even when I going out to the city. I gets lots of looks and jabs, but I don't mind what they think, its my life, my thing.
Only 2 friends knows i'm a furry, I don't need to tell them, they will find out soon.
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:00 am »
Warning:centrle square is vary anti furry
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Duck

• Male
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 01:36:30 am »
I have a hard time being brave enough to wear anything outside. I am 34 years old so I am quite concerned the words "loser" or "pathetic" might show up

Duck
furry code :
FAD6s A- C++ D H M P++ R+++ T++ W- Z Sm++ RLMH a+ cn++  d+ e+++ f++ h+++ i+++ j+ p++ sm++

http://mj.ucw.cz/furry/ to decode for you

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 03:07:37 am »
i would consider my self a lifestyler but im not very open to the public. but if some one asked if i was a furry i most likely say yes but it has never happened after i decided to be truthful about it

if i had a fursuit i would wear. but would never just wear a tail/ears.

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 08:44:52 pm »
:P I've made a prototype tail that I will make in faux Fur. You should be able to see a pic of it here soon: http://forums.furtopia.org/fursuits-and-plushies/need-help-making-a-faux-fur-tail/msg967948/#msg967948

I'm just wearing my prototype tail around the house at the moment. My sister things I'm weird, My dad find it funny and likes it and my Mum said it is "cute" but gave me a strange look previously. When I eventually make my tail I plan on wearing it to Rock climbing occasionally and to a few Mufti days at school :P (My parents probably don't want me to do this but... meh)