Author Topic: Laptop just for a screen  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Avor

• Male
Laptop just for a screen
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:14 am »
I have a decent game computer downstairs, but I;m crippled and can't use it like a normal person. But I have this 5 year old laptop on a movable table, is there a simple way I can plug them together and use the laptop just for keys, mouse, and screen?

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: Laptop just for a screen
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »
I have a decent game computer downstairs, but I;m crippled and can't use it like a normal person. But I have this 5 year old laptop on a movable table, is there a simple way I can plug them together and use the laptop just for keys, mouse, and screen?

For gaming, not really. If you just want to be able to access files and whatnot that are on the other computer, you could set up a network and use Remote Desktop to access the other machine.

There may be another way to do this, not really sure. I haven't looked into things like this much.

Would you be able to use a wireless keyboard/mouse from your table, and possibly put the other monitor on the table as well, with a long video cable? You'd be limited in how far you can move it, but it would let you use the other computer. Alternatively, you can get wireless HDMI devices which would actually open that up so you wouldn't be tied down by the cable length. Unfortunately, this approach can get costly.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
Sorry, I should explain better. The problem is that I cannot sit at a computer I live in bed, but the movable table is just a normal hospitcal bed table that is barely big enough to hold the laptop. The idea is to have the tower move up beside the bed, then connect it to my laptop as to use it foo screem, keys and mouse. I just don't ff or how than idea can work.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:22 pm »
Sorry, I should explain better. The problem is that I cannot sit at a computer I live in bed, but the movable table is just a normal hospitcal bed table that is barely big enough to hold the laptop. The idea is to have the tower move up beside the bed, then connect it to my laptop as to use it foo screem, keys and mouse. I just don't ff or how than idea can work.

I think I understood what you meant. I'm just not sure if there's a way to use the laptop as just peripheral input (keyboard and mouse) and output (monitor) while using the desktop as the computing source. At least, in a direct matter.

Like I said, if you just want to access files on the other machine, the remote desktop option would work well enough for that. And actually, it does use the computing power of the desktop as well. But you are limited in what you can do by the bandwidth of the network between the machines. You wouldn't be able to play games off the desktop and I'm not even sure if it would let you listen to music from it either.

Bottom line: It's possible, to control your desktop using your laptop. But it won't have the full capability of the desktop still.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:02:07 am »
If the remote desktop option doesn't sound right for you, about all you can use the laptop for is a remote display. To do that, you'd need a video capture card/software that can take the video output from the desktop, convert it into something like a USB signal to connect to the laptop, then the software on the laptop would then convert it back to video. Most likely as a window on the laptop's display at that and actual video quality may suffer unless you are willing to pay for something that will produce good quality video and may also have to play with the resolution settings on the desktop to get it to send something that looks good on the laptop since LCD screens don't typically produce well outside of their native resolutions. I'm not aware of a way to control the mouse and keyboard via the laptop other than the remote desktop option. Otherwise a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse would be the only option I can think of. Considering that, plus the prices on new monitors nowadays, you may be better off just getting another small LCD screen to use your desktop with and have it on the table. If you don't have plans to use the laptop for anything else, you may be able to sell it to recoup some of your costs (depending on specs and condition, as computer tech gets old quick in terms of resale).

Keyboards are all pretty much the same in terms of space, but I'm going to guess you like the idea of the track pad on your laptop for the mouse because it doesn't use much space. If that's a big concern, then you may be interested in a mouse like THIS that lets you control the pointer with your thumb on a track ball, or THIS. The latter is the same principle, just different ergonomics and I've known a few people that used it and loved it better than a regular mouse for regular use. Not sure how it'd work for gaming and such, and wireless versions will cost more too.

Good luck and hope you find a solution that works for you. :)
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 01:15:08 am »
Just a note;   you can get a keyboard with track point:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15172815?adid=22222222227000602924&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=14099361070&wl4=&wl5=pla

You can also look into getting a monitor arm for whatever kind of monitor you have.  For example: http://www.amazon.com/LX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC

I know you were probably looking for a cheap option,  but i thought it might be worthwhile to mention these exist.