Author Topic: Neurowear Tail  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Mylo

Neurowear Tail
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »
Now, Neurowear has made a concept tail to go along with their mind-controlled ears.  Check out the article on CNET!  Also, here is a link to the Neurowear site.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Neurowear Tail
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »
Swell. What won't they think of next?  :P

I can just see it now. By this time tomorrow, Every furry around the world will exclaim "I WANT ONE!"

Offline Flyntz

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:04:26 pm »
Swell. What won't they think of next?  :P

I can just see it now. By this time tomorrow, Every furry around the world will exclaim "I WANT ONE!"

Not just every Furry, but the world might start "Taking another look" at the fandom. *IS WORRIED*

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:52:22 pm »
It’s interesting, but I would prefer a sEMG interface over an EEG one, so that I could actually physically control the tail.

Also, am I reading it right in that it keeps track of where you are and posts that on the internet? (that's a bit creepy). :o
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Chiscringle

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 06:22:04 am »
I'm with Storm.  I bet I could build something better.
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:20 am »
I almost want to oblige Kobuk by saying I want one, but then I read Storm's post, and now I'm not so sure...
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:03 pm »
It’s interesting, but I would prefer a sEMG interface over an EEG one, so that I could actually physically control the tail.

The tail featured in the OP is cool, but what you describe here is even cooler.  And if I'm keeping up on the state of technology, that might not be that far off from being possible (though it may still take a while to be economically feasible...).
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline kuroneko jusan

• As my name suggests, I'm a bit of a Jynx...
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »
Perhaps I can direct my fellow tinkerers to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13390 , a project on Thingiverse...  This particular one deals with ears, but with minor modification it could be used to move cables in an armatured tail...

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:37:36 pm »
I might have to get around to applying for a credit card (28 years old and never had one). Then I could order some of this stuff people talk about here!

I copied and pasted a description from a Japanese website for the ears into Google Translate and got this:

"necomimi is extended organ to catch your brain waves and express your condition faster than words. If you get a sense of the movement of the ear can be controlled by brain waves. I can convey my feelings on the movement of the ear."

I'm guessing there's a similar story about the tail.

So there seems to be some fancy technology here.

Furry and wearing ears/tail in public seems to be more tolerated in Japan.

Edit: I started out at the website Mylo linked to, kept clicking on links on that website, and ended up at this page about a robotic cat mask:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57323959-1/giant-robot-cat-mask-purrfect-for-pesky-mice/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:11:00 pm by werecat2012 »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »

Also, am I reading it right in that it keeps track of where you are and posts that on the internet? (that's a bit creepy). :o

That's probably only if you install the app, which hopefully wouldn't be required for the thing to function. We're in such a connected world, I'm not all that surprised by it. People already will post fairly detailed logs of where they have been and when via facebook or twitter posts, if they enable geotagging. I've turned that feature off for all my apps...

I do think the concept is neat. But I would like to see a slightly more realistic movement. It looked to me like the tail is just one servo at the base that swings it back and forth, relying on the inertia of the tail itself to make it look more-or-less natural as it swings. The result is something that actually doesn't look all too bad when it is swinging faster. But when it was 'idle' and just kinda wagging slowly, it looked pretty unnatural.

Similarly, I'd be worried that any ears would have fairly unnatural movement as well. The complexity of the movements that animal ears make is so much more than that of even a tail. And you could still pretty much only show happy/indifferent/sad emotions with this. I'd rather have ones that'll also move with what I'm focusing on listening to as well.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kael

• Male
Tail that wags by itself!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:48:40 pm »
So, anyone remember the Necomimi technology buzz?

What I I said they are developing a tail counterpart?

"Tailly" The tail that wags when you get excited
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

Offline Kael

• Male
Re: Tail that wags by itself!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:13 pm »
Ok, someone already had a thread about this... But I am linking a kickstarter that should be funded if interested.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:22 am »
Ok, someone already had a thread about this...

Since the previous Neurowear tail thread was within the gravedigging limit, I merged your two posts into that thread.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline AikaCoonCat

• Icon by Uriko44
  • Female
    • Aika's Commissions
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:36 pm »
I want a black cat styled tail if/when they come out! >w<
I have black necomimi ears from them =3 and I am so happy with them.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
I own a pair of necomimi ears, with custom ears by pawstars. However I think I'll pass on the tail... having a limp tail actually moves more naturally as you walk... at lest in my opinion. Not to say I won't keep an eye on this, as it's bound to get better with each model... I also plan to get a 2nd pair of necomimi ears, because I wanna attempt to hack them and give them more movements, with a custom firmware... :D
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru