Author Topic: Any Adult Furries with Non-furry Partners?  (Read 10381 times)

Offline Tie Wolf

Any Adult Furries with Non-furry Partners?
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:51 am »
I'm sure the mods will read this in thinking it may be inappropriate.  -nervously grins-  It's really not, but here's my question:

Are there any adult furries with non-furry partners?  I say "adult" because, well, most (yes I am stereotyping right now) relationships people have as a minor/teenager/child don't last.  And by "partner", I mean, long-term loving relationship.

My next question if you fit the bill for the first one is, How does your non-furry partner look at you being a furry?  Are there ever problems or arguments over it?  How tight is your leash in regards to doing furry-related activities?

-----

I'm in a long-term relationship with a non-furry, been with her for a little over 2 years now.  When I first told her about being a furry, she panicked and needed a week to look into it more.  It took a little over a year for her to feel more comfortable with it, but certain aspects of it definitely make her uncomfortable.  I guess the average person walking down the street doesn't walk up to another person and feel the urge to hug them for... lol idk, for maybe wearing the same color shirt?  XD  But as furries, we're all tolerant of one another and /most/ are incredibly outwardly friendly to other fursuiters or furries in general.  (This is just my observation anyway)  I honestly think furries are one of the nicest fandoms out there, but maybe that's just because I'm part of it. 

Anyway!  Just as an example of what makes her notably uncomfortable, is when furries are outwardly nice to each other with hugs and what not.  And... she accidentally saw the "Room 366" video on youtube.  -facepaw-  She was horrified.  And then there's the fursuit... I don't exactly have my fursuit together yet (just waiting on the head P:) but when I wear my body attire, she has this nervous and uncomfortable smile where her face is scrunched up and she won't show her toofers.  Okay okay, it is pretty odd if you try to think about it from a non-furry POV, but that's at least what I have to deal with.  In fact, I would presume that those slightly entertaining looks and reactions I get from her are very mild from what others may have to deal with.  I have to say that I am fortunate that she's okay with me going to a con... the sad part is that she refuses to go with me.  -insert incredibly sad puppy face here-

Anyway, just wanted to hear if/how other furries' relationships are with their non-furry counterparts.  (Keep this PG!)
Courage isn't the absence of fear; it is the presence of fear with the will to go on. 
-Mark Twain

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Any Adult Furries with Non-furry Partners?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:52:30 am »
Are there any adult furries with non-furry partners?  I say "adult" because, well, most (yes I am stereotyping right now) relationships people have as a minor/teenager/child don't last.  And by "partner", I mean, long-term loving relationship.

I'm going to guess/assume that when you say "adult", you mean in relation to age, such as persons being over 18? And you are not using the word in a sexual manner.

Offline Binx

• Friendly Neighborhood Cat
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:58:27 am »
 :D Firstly, I am gonna have to disagree with you saying that all "teen love" doesn't last. I met my mate when we were both 15. We are 20 now, and been together for 5 years and now we have a house together. I know that's not typical for most people, but we have made it work for this long.  :D Secondly, when I told him that I was furry he thought it was great. He isn't into the art, but he loves the fursuits. He really has a fursuiter personality. He loves meeting new people and is extremely friendly! We both just commissioned our first fursuits together and are planning to attend Furry Weekend Atlanta this year together fursuiting. I think with the right person being a furry shouldn't matter to them and they should gladly go to cons and fur meets with you. My mate is running for a county office next year and he is into politics like crazy, but I'm not but that doesn't mean I shouldn't support him right?  What I'm trying to get at is maybe if they don't support you being a furry then maybe they aren't right for you. Love is a two way street and if both partners can't support each other then they probably aren't right for each other.
"Life, Liberty and The Fursuit of Happiness."

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:12:46 pm »
I don't think my wife considers herself a furry, but she's very open to me being one. She even goes so far as to want to go fur suiting with me sometime. I guess I'm just lucky. :)
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tie Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »

I'm going to guess/assume that when you say "adult", you mean in relation to age, such as persons being over 18? And you are not using the word in a sexual manner.

Yes!  Age, not in a sexual way at all!  Sorry about the possible confusion.
Courage isn't the absence of fear; it is the presence of fear with the will to go on. 
-Mark Twain

Offline Tie Wolf

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:22:48 pm »
:D Firstly, I am gonna have to disagree with you saying that all "teen love" doesn't last. I met my mate when we were both 15. We are 20 now, and been together for 5 years and now we have a house together. I know that's not typical for most people, but we have made it work for this long.  :D Secondly, when I told him that I was furry he thought it was great. He isn't into the art, but he loves the fursuits. He really has a fursuiter personality. He loves meeting new people and is extremely friendly! We both just commissioned our first fursuits together and are planning to attend Furry Weekend Atlanta this year together fursuiting. I think with the right person being a furry shouldn't matter to them and they should gladly go to cons and fur meets with you. My mate is running for a county office next year and he is into politics like crazy, but I'm not but that doesn't mean I shouldn't support him right?  What I'm trying to get at is maybe if they don't support you being a furry then maybe they aren't right for you. Love is a two way street and if both partners can't support each other then they probably aren't right for each other.

I actually didn't say "all", when referring to the lack of long-lasting teen relationships, I used the word, "most"  ^_^  And I'm a huge fan of Romeo and Juliet, so I'm all for love everlasting, but with a happier ending than that story!  lol  x_X

I agree, that if the acceptance and support for the quirky aspects to a person isn't there, then it really shouldn't and isn't meant to be "everlasting".  Although, I'll admit I had a bit of a sarcastic sense of humor to how my gf reacts to the furry stuff.  I'd say she supports me with it, but I think its then my turn to support that she doesn't want any part of the furry fandom.  It sounds weird saying it like that, but I think its the whole, "smile and nod your head" type of thing, where she's not going to embrace it, but she's not going to be spiteful against it either.  She's neutral about it and pretends to listen when I tell her random jargon about things I read, see, and hear in relation to the fandom. lol

I actually wanted to ask this question to make sure that I wasn't alone on this!  I mainly see it on FA, (since my only furry related websites I visit is FurBuy, FA, and this site) how people have partners that are also furries.  So I was almost curious if it wasn't even possible for other furries to love and be loved by a non-furry and still be able to do random furry activities like cons, suiting up, hanging up anthropomorphic related artwork, etc.
-Mark Twain

Offline Binx

• Friendly Neighborhood Cat
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »
I actually wanted to ask this question to make sure that I wasn't alone on this!  I mainly see it on FA, (since my only furry related websites I visit is FurBuy, FA, and this site) how people have partners that are also furries.  So I was almost curious if it wasn't even possible for other furries to love and be loved by a non-furry and still be able to do random furry activities like cons, suiting up, hanging up anthropomorphic related artwork, etc.

I agree with that completely, because thats exactly how my relationship is. I am an extreme furry. Lol As in I love all aspects of the fandom such as the art and suiting and meet ups. My partner doesn't get the whole art or why I have so many plushies or that I have framed anthromorphic artwork hung around our house :D but he still created a furry character and wants to fursuit with me and go to conventions.  :D
"Life, Liberty and The Fursuit of Happiness."

Offline Wera

• Female
    • FA
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:58:26 am »
My partner and I see eye to eye on a lot of things, most things really. But he does have an aversion to most furry things. We RP together a lot. At one point I showed him a picture I drew of my fursona and brought up the subject that I wanted to RP as her (subtly hinting that I wanted to RP her with him), but I get this simple response instead: "BEWARE THE FURRY HERM". (My fursona is a female spotted hyena, and their "parts" are similar in appearance to that of the male species, but are still totally female.) To this day I'm still not sure what he meant, but he did say he didn't mean to offend. There have been several instances like this in the past as well, where I'll ask his opinion on something furry-related, even as simple as "does it look better in this color or this color?", but he'd say something rude about it instead.

I'm willing to overlook it, but whenever it does happen it bothers me for a while. Though recently he did express some interest in RPing a semi-anthro couple with me, characters that I designed. So I suppose that's a good step in the right direction.

Kind of afraid to bring up the fact to him that I'd like to own a fursuit though. I know he wouldn't leave me or anything because of it, but I'm still worried about what he might say.

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 01:47:05 am »
In my case, I am currently single. Furry is something that I'm very interested in though. So before a serious relationship even starts, a potential girlfriend would know that I'm a furry. She would see me wearing the ears and tail and visiting furry websites like this one. And maybe someday, if I can't ever afford to buy a good fursuit, I'll attempt to make my own.

If she can accept my quirks, interests, music preferences, food preferences, religious and political beliefs and I can accept hers, that would be perfect. After all, it seems to me that people have to accept and support each other, work together, and maybe even sometimes compromise a little in order for a relationship to be healthy. One person can't just boss the other person around all the time or constantly belittle the other person's interests and hobbies. A relationship is a team.

Though recently he did express some interest in RPing a semi-anthro couple with me, characters that I designed. So I suppose that's a good step in the right direction.

Yes, focus on the positive here.  :) If he was truly hostile to furry, he most likely wouldn't have made that gesture or say that he didn't mean to offend. Best of luck to you, Wera!

Offline Kowe

• Would you like some coffee with your creamer?
  • Female
    • https://www.furaffinity.net/user/kowe
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »
Yes, I'm married to a non-fur. He likes it when I dress up as a kitty cat, so he's ok with that part. I don't think he understands most of the rest of it though. We'd been friends since I was 17, and finally got together about five years ago, so he's seen me doing furry things. He's not open to looking into the furry fandom for himself, but that's ok, I realize it's not for everyone.

FFL3acs A- C- D++ H++ M- P++++ R++ T+++ W Z Sf? RLMA* a cmn++ e** f++ h++++ iw+ j p sf*

Offline Smart Wolf

• Male
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:15 am »
I already said the long version of the story somewhere else (probably too much info, actually) but I stillwould like to say something about the whole 'teen love' thing. I know you didn't mean ALL of those relationships, but, well I think that a relationship there is just as possible as anywhere else.

After all, when it started I was creeped out by furries, but I stuck with her (I honestly think that is the best decision I have ever made). But eventually she made me a furry too. Not that she forced it, but I got interested in it after a while.

My point is that, in either case (furry/non-furry or teen relationships), don't give up hope! Just keep workibg towards love, and you'll find it! You just need patience and understanding in each other-something teens and adults alike show (for the mostpart) an amazing lack of these days.
So much to do...

Offline Jorinda

• Female
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 09:44:34 am »
I have a non-furry boyfriend since 2007. It doesn't matter much that he's not furry - he accepts that I am a furry, he comes to cons and furry parties with me. He sometimes jokes about the weirder furries on the internet, but I know that he knows that we aren't all weird  ;)

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:25:10 pm »
Hm, yes I am a furry with a non-furry wife.  I came out with furryness last year after 23 years of marriage.  Unfortunately she did not accept it in any for whatsoever. Even after researching it she is still totally against it.  My leas is short indeed.  It is a choke collar and I cant breath!!!!!!!!
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./

Offline Eddy

• Male
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:03 am »
Yes and no. I found that a lady (she's not a furry) who is four years older than me whose previous boyfriend dumped her. I may have thought of 'filling in the gap' but foolishly, we declared each other boyfriend and girlfriend at the wrong moment! We hadn't (yet) even met let alone knowing me through my Mum!

Offline wolfnevets

• Male
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
Aloha! 

Yes, I am a adult furry with a non-furry wife. We been married for 25+ years, soon to be 26th on Dec.6. Also, I have been involved in the furry-fandom for the last 8+ years.

Initially my wife did not understand my interest in the fandom. Unfortunately, I had my wife attend with me to my first con. Well that lefted a bad impression on her. However, she did allow me to continue to attend other fur cons.

The fandom allows me to draw, fursuit and perform in skits and interact with the public. These things have help me find a creative outlet that I was lacking. This has been the biggest hurdle in regard to my wife's thinking. I like being creative.

A few years later I approached my wife in going with me to a furry styled get together out of state. This allowed my wife to see a group of furs in a more normal setting. I think she was surprised that most of the guys were rather likable and friendly. 

Offline Jorinda

• Female
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 04:46:57 am »
Initially my wife did not understand my interest in the fandom. Unfortunately, I had my wife attend with me to my first con. Well that lefted a bad impression on her.
What happened at that con?
I took my non-furry boyfriend to several cons, and he liked all of them. He's not interested in fursuits, so he doesn't join fursuit walks, but he likes meeting the people and partying with them.

Offline Aakosir

• In Vino Veritas
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:46:53 am »
Well... My ex and I were together for almost 5 years and just separated this past year. But he had no idea what a furry was, but was fine with me being furry. Eventually I introduced him to the fandom and he created a fursona. He is not as much of a fur as I am though. And me being furry was not what broke us up.
My FA

I come and I go

Offline Christiaan

• Male
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 04:49:03 pm »
Yes, actually, and it makes the dynamics of the relationship a little funny. You see, from my point-of-view, I'm his pet ferret, and he owns me. He doesn't seem to understand it, but this, for me, entails a degree of devotion and loyalty that is not typical of interpersonal relationships between humans. To him, I'm just his partner. To me, I'm devoted to him almost religiously.

It also confused him, for a long time, that I would engage in what he considered to be "foreplay," but I really just wanted to be petted. He had no context for understanding it. He didn't understand that I loved to cuddle for hours and never even WANT anything out of it. Eventually, we ended up having to work around each other in a lot of ways. Eventually, we worked that out. He pets me for at least a half-hour every night, and it's pure habit, not anything that we planned or contrived.

Relationships with non-furs are perfectly sustainable, though, if you just accept that your partner is NOT A FURRY. Your partner will never be a furry. You can't make your partner a furry. However, you can form a devoted and passionate relationship. Interspecies relationships work just fine if the partners in it are inclined to behave like adults.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:58:35 pm by Christiaan »

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 05:42:07 pm »
This thread is past the six month grave-digging limit, so it has been locked.

If anyone would like to discuss this topic, then please start a new one.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#