Author Topic: When I do not care what others think.  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
When I do not care what others think.
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:44:07 pm »
I just want to  get lay some groundwork  before posting  a plushie  post. I get the impression a lot  of fur here can get uptight  of one chooses to be a furry in public outside to con. I wish to make a counterpoint.
In short I do not care  what people  think. I am a furry. I been reading some old post here  some teen  fur told another  fur one might one to tone  things down lest one arouse ire of  haters and bullies.  Another  response and pet peeve of mine is   I hear is furry face palming  at  the notice some fur  wearing  furry  paraphernalia outside  the fur  / con  environment. 
My response   is a   is I do not care  what a person thinks. If I want o be furry 24/7 then I am furry 24/7  nobody has a right to tell me otherwise. Now I do tone  it down during the weekdays at work; I put my Hello Kitty backpack inside a more  mundane  one but pull it out during the weekends. In addition while my priest knows I am a furry I  do not bring  it into church except  to store something or a  plush before going to a con. My church understand especially when my truck was broken into at the church parking lot  and a giant Hello Kitty stolen.
I have a strong  counter cultural, independent   side about myself  born out of years of being brutally bullied  as a child and teen.  It became a way to deal  with my feelings  instead  of harming myself or others. I place a self expression over peer pressure and conformity.

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
Re: When I do not care what others think.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:40:43 am »
Iv reached the point of not generally caring about others opinions, as I used too when I was younger. I was continuously tormented and bullied when I was younger and dealt with it by adopting a veneer and obsession with appearing 'mature,' which given my personal interests (history, politics, mythology, Tolkien, other nerd stuff, etc) always gave me a stronger connection to those far older than my self when I was much younger. Also a strong loathing for what passed for youth culture in my area (that is a obsession with partying, relationships, and illicit substance use, loitering for no good reason, along with property damage) probably helped with that as well (I was the loner who would prefer to stay home and read a book than hit the town as it were, if by some miracle I was not working the weekend or nights outside of school). However there is something to be said for the path of least resistance in life. The less outside the norm you appear to be the less resistance you will encounter from those within the mainstream. So by all means wear a tail everywhere you go, just don't be surprised if you get awkward stares, and 'mundanes' think your weird and hide their children as it were. When it comes to personal internet fandoms people generally don't want to hear about it, and the majority of people probably don't care and don't want a reason too. As a result I don't feel a need or reason to 'come out' as it were. My hobbies are my own business.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »
Sometimes we must rise above the need for human respect.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rainy

• Species: Rabbit
  • Looking for more than dreams.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:22:28 am »
I've come to the same conclusion, In fact I've taken it up on my whole life outside the fandom, I don't care what other think of me or what I do. It makes sharing easier for me knowing it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.
No matter how bad the storm is, there's always a rainbow at the end.

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:35:00 am »
I generally care what people think only if they're people I love and respect.

However, I've developed enough courage now to know that I love who I am and what I do, and that if I come across someone who looks down on me, I no longer take it personally. It's their problem and I legitimately don't care. There's always many people in the world who love an authentic person. Do what you love, love what you do, and more often than not, others will love your passion too.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 02:56:51 am »
*hugs everyone who's been bullied* bullies suck. I've gotten more used to not caring what others think. It's mostly just my family that I have to hide things from. Once I go to uni I'm going to wear my tail a bit and try to be more open about who I am ^^

And something strange. I went barefoot walking in Melbourne and it was pretty fun. Looking at how people responded from that was interesting. Lots of strange looks and random people smiling XD (The 'I disapprove' look was the best)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:02:04 am by Sciex »

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 03:34:19 am »
i dont really care what others think of me but if my family gets involved that would be annoying, but only because they are the ones who have access to my stuff. they can easily just go into my laptop while im at school which will make me feel extremely uncomfortable. (it has a password but thats easy to get past).

so ya the only problems i have with what others think of me is the higher chance of them tampering with my stuff, like kids throwing food at me and my stuff (happened before). if fights and insults where the only think i get i wouldnt mind it that much, tho of course im not going to tell everyone about me.